Is a dot Com website still the way to go?

carlmarl

Jun 22, 2011
There are so many options available in terms of domain extensions. I was wondering if anyone had any opinions on whether dot coms are still the best option when choosing a domain name?

no, if you don't have your own tld you are lame and won't get any respect and love from google. if you can't afford that your a poorfag

1) Do a google search.
2) Observe results.
3) Form an opinion?
4) ????
5) You got it! $$$$

The commerical domain .com, the domain is your business address, to promote your business and your brand. its important to create the right impression of professionalism for your business, thats why I pefer the commerical domain extension.

It depends on what you want to do with your website. If it's a business name you want a website for then dot com may be favourable but it's not a must. If you target any specifics which you need a specific name for then other extensions may be right too. Check G for your situation.

In all honesty it really doesnt matter. .Com isnt a must, it's just what people commonly use.

LoL @ comment # 2. Imo; .com, .net, or .org or dont even try. I dont see any difference between com, net or org. I rank # 1 for all of them so it is possible. But as with the other comment, do a search - I never really see .info's or cc's.

dot.coms are still average peoples favorite

:music06:

I think that dot.coms are still the best choice.

I have used other extensions: .info, .org, .co.cc

And I have people saying that they couldn't reach my site.

Althought I had included those other extensions in my promo, people "by habit" made the domain .com.

That's why they couldn't find it.

Unless you hyperlink the domain, if people have to write it, they will use .com.

How many site visitors I have lost because of this, I don't know.

But I have lost visitors because of this, specially newbies that think that all domain names are .com

I even saw a student accessing an university site with: uia.edu.com!!!!

:food-smiley-010::food-smiley-010:

Just some thoughts on the issue.

Sincerely,

Antonios

dont listen to these guys, .tk is projected to pass .com's within the next few months for most used domain extension web-wide. get them while you can!

Is .tk working?

Some years ago I had a .tk domain and had to change it.

At present, I don't quitely remember what the issue was, but it was said that .tk had some kind of problems with searchers.

Swiftclick can you bring some light on this issue?

Thank you.

Sincerely,

Antonios

:playboy_sml:

I prefer dot com. Depending on what it is your trying to do with the site weighs on the decision in my opinion.

If you have anything other than a dot com, some people will never remember the name of your site. Even .org websites register the .com version for the people who think there's nothing but .com.

Any thing other than a .com or at the least a .org is not viewed, imho, as a professional website. If you want to establish yourself as a legitimate company you want to really try to get the .com extension. There's debate as to whether or not a hyphenated name is good or not but depending on the name you are wanting (if a unhyphenated version is unavailable) you may want to use a hyphen.