Im Quitting My Deadend Job

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 11, 2008
Ireland
<Rant>

Fuck it. Fuck the boss. Fuck the man.

I earn £16,000 per annum (32k USD?) working as a property manager for a realtor working 8:30am to 6:00pm Mon-Fri & 10:00am - 12:30pm Saturday. And work my ass off non-stop every single day, I'm convinced that I can achieve a greater income if I put as much effort into my online work.

My family do not support the move... 'you can't quit your job in this climate, its crazy' - Anyone else get this? And how do you go about convincing them that you can achieve a decent income online.

At the moment I'm working on a network of sites for the future that should provide decent income. Until then I was hoping to bring in some cash by doing design work, article writing etc.

</Rant>
boobsmall.jpg

So what do you think I should do? Oh and boobs. >
boobsmall.jpg

metart_iga03.jpg

boobsmall.jpg

More like 23k USD mate.

Also - I would've recommended getting your shit in order before you quit. Like, finding a good client base for your article writing and design work, creating a few sites which bring in residual income etc.

But yeah, good luck to ya, all the best!

Prove it to them by achieving a decent online income first, then quit your job.

Yeah, that's what i happened to me first. Actually your family is indeed worry about you making wrong decision, just like my dad and everyone were.
You can't fully explain what it's all about to them, unless they're somehow involve in the same fields as well. At this point, it's all about the results.

Don't fucking quit until you have cash in the bank and some profitable campaigns running, otherwise you are a fucking retard. You can't make an income online without spending some dough first, especially with PPC. My take on starting PPC from scratch and expecting to make an income: You need 3 months income from your regular job for the first month's PPC spend, anything less, you'll be broke before you know it.

Don't fucking quit until you have cash in the bank and some profitable campaigns running, otherwise you are a fucking retard. You can't make an income online without spending some dough first, especially with PPC. My take on starting PPC from scratch and expecting to make an income: You need 3 months income from your regular job for the first month's PPC spend, anything less, you'll be broke before you know it.

To be honest I'm not expecting to be doing a lot of PPC from the get go, at the minute am looking at spreading my bets across design, writing and natural SEO - I agree that in order to make that big step you need initial capital which I will hope to have after a couple of months working my ass off at design etc.

Also I'm looking at taking a part time role somewhere to keep the rent rolling in, aswell as that I will have atleast two months wages to play with from the offset. Fuck it, am going to go for it - if I fuck up fine, ill get another desk job, if I don't, fucking ace.

To be honest I'm not expecting to be doing a lot of PPC from the get go, at the minute am looking at spreading my bets across design, writing and natural SEO - I agree that in order to make that big step you need initial capital which I will hope to have after a couple of months working my ass off at design etc.

Also I'm looking at taking a part time role somewhere to keep the rent rolling in, aswell as that I will have atleast two months wages to play with from the offset. Fuck it, am going to go for it - if I fuck up fine, ill get another desk job, if I don't, fucking ace.

Best of luck. Organic traffic takes months to replace income though.

To be honest I'm not expecting to be doing a lot of PPC from the get go, at the minute am looking at spreading my bets across design, writing and natural SEO

Best of luck. Organic traffic takes months to replace income though.

I started 'affiliate marketing' Feb/ Mar of last year with two huge mega sites, completely organic SEO, etc. Now they generate around 3k hits/ day, but IMHO it was a waste of time. The traffic is not in 'buy' mode which could just be my beginner's screw up, and AdSense/ occasional sponsor buys are paltry compensation for the amount of time and effort it takes to generate this traffic.

In retrospect I guess it wasn't a total loss- I did learn most of what I know about site building, SEO and quick content generation.

On the other hand, about 5 (?) weeks ago I started media buy & PPC affiliate marketing and discovered first-hand that without about 10% of the work involved in the organic site, I could be 110% more profitable in a single month- much less eight or nine.

From someone who once did what it sounds like you are thinking about, trust me when I say you're doing too much work for too little return. Esp. when you start adding in design and content writing. There are much easier, faster ways to bank.

Good luck leaving the 9-5.

Thanks for the honesty guys. I appreciate it - I have decided to start applying for a different job, honestly I never expected to be in the position I'm in now because I started as their IT guy and got roped into doing that.

So long story short I just need a less stressful job which will enable me to get a solid foundation and also learn a bit more before having to depend on the income.

Cheers.

Fuck it. Fuck the boss. Fuck the man.
boobsmall.jpg

1. Set up your douchebag boss with a whore
  2. Anonymously mail him pics, hidden camera footage. Include footage of Governor Spitzer apology
  3. Demand for at least a years salary or similar package sent to his wife (make sure you had plenty of wife closeups in Spitzer footage)
  4. Have ninjas on dirtbikes hide under a bridge for money drop (ref. the Big Lebowski)
  5. Create your own ending.

there is a difference between quitting a job that is paying you decently and allows you time to still play with AM vs. quitting a job that sucks up all your free time and pays you dick. if you're in the latter category (which it appears you are) either finding a different job that pays roughly the same and allows you time for AM or one the pays you more should be the goal. then you can either save money, then quit to pursue AM or pursue AM on the side and then quit when you're banking with AM.

money never disappears faster than when you have no income coming in.

I will say this - as someone who makes most of their money from 'natural seo'. The bulk of what I made today I put work into a year or six months ago.

Good luck - and I hope you get a part time dead end job you don't care about to take some of the stress off. If you have kids I hope you change your mind. I'd hate to have my little ones dependent on me with no income.

I will say this - as someone who makes most of their money from 'natural seo'. The bulk of what I made today I put work into a year or six months ago.

Good luck - and I hope you get a part time dead end job you don't care about to take some of the stress off. If you have kids I hope you change your mind. I'd hate to have my little ones dependent on me with no income.

No, not at all - I still live rent free in my family home. I would feel the same if I had kids!

Thanks for all the advice guys, I have a bit of perspective now atleast. And I agree that maybe I should start up a few PPC campaigns to see if I can get some money flowing early on, then build my long term sites around that. Thanks again guys.

Make money first. Pay off your debts. Have emergency savings for 6 months -1 year. Then quit.

This man speaks the truth. Though with the way things are right now, I would even say save up a years worth at least, who knows how long it would take you to get another job if everything fails.

Your current rate of pay is about £6 per hour by my estimation. I'd say definitely time to GTFO.

Some things that will effect what the best course of action is for you:

What's the minimum income you can survive on per month?
How much have you got saved? If you're living at home on 16K, you should have some surplus... if not, time to build some up.
What do you want to do with your life over the next 3 years?

Contracting could be a good option, although contracts are difficult to find in the current climate.
If your minimum required income is low, I'd be tempted to find casual work to match that (same hourly rate of pay pretty much as what you're doing now), then free up your time to get your business up and running.

What saleable skills do you have - you've mentioned design work and writing, what standard are they up to?

If you do decide to go it alone, whether or not you are successful has very little to do with the economic climate - it depends on your determination, self-discipline, your skills, and your network.

Status
Not open for further replies.