Ideas Needed To Develop a PR8 Domain

arxs

May 12, 2007
I've just been able to acquire (through auction) a dropped domain with a PR8 ! (yeah, most people will not give a damn to PR, but holy shit, it's a PR8! :eek::eek::eek:)

It was a dictionary / generic .net (related to merchant)

The domain was owned by a US BANK, and this domain was dropped as a result of merger with another major bank.

Domain history is 16 years! (created in 1996, but sadly it's being dropped)

It has several PR7 backlinks!

It has several DMOZ listings.

It has authority banking/finance backlinks - because the bank was a listed entity, the financial results and the merger also was reported by those financial websites.

I have no idea on what to be done to this domain, and I have no idea how valuable this domain is. Anyone care to share their idea or JV ? Using WayBackMachine to clone the previous website is out of question, as it was a banking website, and their lawyers will be standing by to sue me if I do that.

Thanks!

p/s: Maybe some of you also bid on the auction :D

Can i ask how much you paid for it roughly? I'm looking to buy a similar somain through an auction site but i'm not sure what is a correct amount to pay, roughly.

Can i ask how much you paid for it roughly? I'm looking to buy a similar somain through an auction site but i'm not sure what is a correct amount to pay, roughly.

There is no correct amount. If you think the domain is worth it, then go for it. In my case, i've paid less than 3k.

In all seriousness, I used to work within a counter party risk for a large financial company. (clue: blue box for a logo). We frequently used bankers almanac to track mergers/buyouts to ensure our credit exposure was backed up my stand by letters of credit and guarantees.

When a brand is absorbed the new bank takes on the books of the old institution. Knowing how disorganised the internal workings of some financial organisations can be, I cannot imagine for a second they released the domain by design. The loss of an asset like that wreaks of a major cock-up. The second they realise an asset directly connected to their brand has been lost their general council may come after you to reclaim their property and you could have a fight on your hands.

There again the left and very rarely knows what the right hand is doing with corporations and so long as you don't do anything stupid / that generates bad press you may slip past unnoticed.

If you want to maintain the page rank map out the site structure only. Put your own site up with good quality relevant unique content including images and a good internal linking structure ASAP.

Given the size of such sites, you'll have serious project on your hands - best of British luck to you.

If you have a ton of finance backlinks, then it's obvious what type of site you should set up.

Then proceed to either develop it, or sell links from it. With several PR7 links, you probably won't drop much lower than that. PR6, 7, 8. Either way, you can stand to make your investment back just selling links. Set up a site and you can probably do more. Do both, and dat'd be noice. Sell blog posts = free content plus income plus site being developed.

Imagine you developing it - Next PR Update - *Kaboom* - PR1.

Now that would be a cool starry bra!

Highly unlikely, as this site still has at least 5 PR7 links pointing to it. Although this bank has been acquired by another bank back in 2007, this domain has been 302 redirected to the new bank's domain.

PR7 or 8 links doesn't sell for much these days, compared to 4-5 years ago.

Building a finance site out of it is a good idea. (credit card, insurance, loans etc)

The easiest and laziest way to profit is - Sell to another bank! (there are at least 3 banks having this "dictionary" word in their names)

If you have a ton of finance backlinks, then it's obvious what type of site you should set up.

Then proceed to either develop it, or sell links from it. With several PR7 links, you probably won't drop much lower than that. PR6, 7, 8. Either way, you can stand to make your investment back just selling links. Set up a site and you can probably do more. Do both, and dat'd be noice. Sell blog posts = free content plus income plus site being developed.

Just some finance backlinks, not a ton, unfortunately.

This domain will be gold to a blog network owner i guess. But I have no experience and resource to run a blog network.

Does directory site still work / earn nowadays? PR8 finance directory anyone?

make financial site there man, no brainer

Yea, I think I will make a financial site over it. Thanks for the opinion. After some research, I've found that this domain can be super targeted to the commodities trading, thus building a finance site promoting trading affiliate program is a good idea. :thumbsup:

What about not doing traditional affilaite stuff and contact someone about selling leads?

Make site with good content.
Get Traffic
Get Leads
Profit?