How much do .infos effect your SEO/Authority?

acr0mant1x

Jul 25, 2009
I'm curious if its worth getting a .info just to have the full keyword in the domain name? The .coms are all taken, or would a better choice to just put (some related word)keyword.com or something to that effect?

From a general persons point of view I'm guessing they would think lower of my site in general just for that too?

EDIT: I just found a ~30k monthly 4 keyword domain with a extra word on the end that goes really well with it. Would this be a good buy and just optimize for the first 4 keywords? Or would that not help as much as I think it would?

For a one off site that you will throw away in 1 month... get the .info.

If you want to attempt ANY brand building (which imo you should focus on, especially with the review slaps going around from google) then get a catchy .com.

google knows dot info's sell for 99 cents
4 keyword domains wont help even a dot com much

bottom line: dont buy dot infos for exact match bonus & greater than 3 word keyword domains.

google knows dot info's sell for 99 cents
4 keyword domains wont help even a dot com much

bottom line: dont buy dot infos for exact match bonus & greater than 3 word keyword domains.

I don't understand why a 4 keyword domain wouldn't help much?

because its a 4 keywords DOT INFO domain

they are just untrustworthy because affiliates took advantage of them, so its easier to say "they are all useless" than sift out the good ones

not that its impossible to use one just...spring for the dot com

namecheap has .com's for like 10 bucks a year or something, go for that

.info has a reputation for being spammy. However, I've seen quite a few .info domains do well in the SEs. Regardless, keywords in domains don't help with Google as much as it does with yahoo's search engine. I'm not sure when Microsoft's search deal with yahoo will begin but if you want to use this domain, I suggest you start ASAP because Bing.com might not be as keyword domain friendly as yahoo's current search engine.

If it's for anything even somewhat long-term you're better off going with the .com

oh and
aardvark.png

because its a 4 keywords DOT INFO domain

they are just untrustworthy because affiliates took advantage of them, so its easier to say "they are all useless" than sift out the good ones

not that its impossible to use one just...spring for the dot com

namecheap has .com's for like 10 bucks a year or something, go for that

The 4 keyword + the 3 letter word that works after it is a .com, it was a separate question I obviously didn't specify that enough.

So, the 4 word + related would work well with seo because its a .com correct?

I already fucked up my first site because of thinking I could brand a extremely popular keyword, just want to make sure If I invest again it will actually help me.

Is it a smart idea to invest in domains even if you wont use them for a year or 2? I've been finding some really good domains but I don't have use for them yet, but I think I might within the next couple years.

I don't understand why a 4 keyword domain wouldn't help much?

the exact match bonus is greatest for one word domain, a little less for a two word domain, still less for a 3 word domain and for four word domains its almost absent.

why? google thinks premium domain names are a scarce commodity. Either you were the owner of the keyword domain business or registered it earlier on in the market and this helps google to differenciate quality websites.

why 3 word and not 4 word? Google knows best.

The 4 keyword + the 3 letter word that works after it is a .com, it was a separate question I obviously didn't specify that enough.

So, the 4 word + related would work well with seo because its a .com correct?

I already fucked up my first site because of thinking I could brand a extremely popular keyword, just want to make sure If I invest again it will actually help me.

Is it a smart idea to invest in domains even if you wont use them for a year or 2? I've been finding some really good domains but I don't have use for them yet, but I think I might within the next couple years.

Invest in domains only if they meet any of the conditions below:

1. You need them
2. They are short premium domains like LLL.com
3. They are generating revenue parked to cover their renewal cost
4. Have quality typin traffic
5. Have a million monthly searches for their keywords which have advertisers
6. Category killer keyword domains

*facepalm*

There is no penalty against .info domains, I have a few that rank in the serps for good keywords. Obviously I'm not going to out my own stuff, but here have a look at this:

Google

#4 result: search-marketing.info

It ranks because it's 1 year old, has uniqe content, and some backlinks (mostly directories and forum signatures)

Now if you're building 300 autoblogs from spun articles and expecting to rank in the top 10 you will fail, but you'll fail with any other TLD too. Take the time to earn some google "trustrank" and it won't matter what TLD you use.

*facepalm*

There is no penalty against .info domains, I have a few that rank in the serps for good keywords. Obviously I'm not going to out my own stuff, but here have a look at this:

Google

#4 result: search-marketing.info

It ranks because it's 1 year old, has uniqe content, and some backlinks (mostly directories and forum signatures)

Now if you're building 300 autoblogs from spun articles and expecting to rank in the top 10 you will fail, but you'll fail with any other TLD too. Take the time to earn some google "trustrank" and it won't matter what TLD you use.

thats a six year old blog and belongs to Aaron Wall of seobook http://whois.domaintools.com/search-marketing.info

Invest in domains only if they meet any of the conditions below:

1. You need them
2. They are short premium domains like LLL.com
3. They are generating revenue parked to cover their renewal cost
4. Have quality typin traffic
5. Have a million monthly searches for their keywords which have advertisers
6. Category killer keyword domains

Wouldn't you want the opposite for SEO/Authority? Ud be a fish out of water?