How many of you know how to do work around the house?

nickCR

Feb 5, 2010
CR
So just curious how many of you know how to fix shit around the house?

Not talking about changing a light bulb. Most blondes can do that.

Talking about changing a switch, socket, door handle, laying tile, building a shelf, putting up a ceiling fan, etc..

I worked two summers in high school doing home remodeling/maintenance work for a guy who bought houses to rent/flip. Learned a lot about that kind of stuff.

I can.

I put a new railing on my deck on Sunday, I can drywall, lay tile, wire electrical, drill a door out, stairs, carpet, you name it - I can even build a truss.

I'm headed to my parents on Saturday for the long weekend, going to put a new room on their house, and have everything but the roof done by Monday.

I would probably consider my self a bit of a renaissance man as I can do just about anything and at an above average level.

I used to be proud of shit I did.

Now Im proud to be able to pay people to do shit.

I used to be proud of shit I did.

Now Im proud to be able to pay people to do shit.

I was like that until I realized how much fun and how rewarding it was to build things with my hands. I get giddy whenever I get a sweet new tool just thinking of the shit I'm gonna make with it.

This fall my parents tank-to-house water lines (live in mountains) will stay nice and unfrozen thanks to my solar water heater.

Patio
Driveway

Jealous! I can't do concrete for shit unless it's in a nice mold. Bought some counter top mix a while back, planning to make a new desk top with it soon.

I was like that until I realized how much fun and how rewarding it was to build things with my hands. I get giddy whenever I get a sweet new tool just thinking of the shit I'm gonna make with it.

This fall my parents tank-to-house water lines (live in mountains) will stay nice and unfrozen thanks to my solar water heater.

Trueeee the one thing I wish I was able to do that I cant is restore cars.

1967%2BShelby%2BGT500%2BEleanor%2BReplica_02.jpg

Above is my dream car and I'd love to restore one as opposed to just buying one.

Trueeee the one thing I wish I was able to do that I cant is restore cars.

1967%2BShelby%2BGT500%2BEleanor%2BReplica_02.jpg

Above is my dream car and I'd love to restore one as opposed to just buying one.

I'm the same way. I've got the space but I think my wife would punch me if I put a project car in our extra stall - we both know I'd never finish it lol. Eventually I do what to restore a VW van - got kids and with camping and beach going it would be fantastic.

7446285150_99a31b8d29_b.jpg

I can do some brick laying/block work, paving and some plastering, I also know some basic electrical stuff.

I prefer to leave major electrical to the pro's, probably because I nearly stopped my heart working on a live line (like an asshole) in my house a few years ago.

Aside from that, I can build anything from cabinets to furniture. Tile work, masonry,drywall, & basic electrical.

I hate it when someone calls me "handy". I'm a jack of all trades, a master of none.

I actually had a job when I was 16 as a peon with a well known restorer. The condition the cars came into the shop in was sad. Rusted, ugly, rotten. I got the best jobs, scrapping off undercoat among other crappy ass jobs, but at the end of the day when they came back from the paint shop they were a work of art.

I worked on very old Mercedes Benz (even a few Gulwings) and we even had a Ferrari Dino come through the shop.

Learned how to wash a car like a champ though, my boss was German and a real hard ass. Asked me if I knew how to wash a car. I was like obviously who the fuck doesn't. So he chilled out and had a smoke while I got to it. Sure enough I got yelled at more times than I remember. I'll never wash a car wrong again though lol.. Top to Bottom ladies and gentlemen. Maybe it's not important on your daily driver but when your washing a car that can be well worth over 1/2 million dollars the owners tend to be fairly interested in perfection.

Moral of story is that as much fun as restoring a car would be. I don't think I would do it myself lol.

Back to the original topic, I can't tile but I'm good at networking, wiring, etc.

I've rehabbed my home before. Serious shit, like pulling the floor up to replace molded out supports beneath.

You couldn't GIVE me a house to do that with again, but i've got teh skills.

...Totally wasted on me now that I've chosen to shun all forms of real estate, I've even got two crates full of tools that I've only cracked open whenever we move from one apartment to the next.

I will try to take on damn near anything. Sometimes it works out, the other times I find a new niche to exploit.