How is VPS > Shared Hosting?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Personally I just started running on my own fully dedicated semi-managed server. Basically you run the server yourself, and your capable of doing anything you need to do - but if shit hits the fan you have a great support staff to help you out. I use Quality web hosting provided by Fused Network.

It really depends on how much traffic your pushing but I found that a VPS wasn't enough for me either, and that a fully dedicated server was my best option.

Personally I just started running on my own fully dedicated semi-managed server. Basically you run the server yourself, and your capable of doing anything you need to do - but if shit hits the fan you have a great support staff to help you out. I use Quality web hosting provided by Fused Network.

It really depends on how much traffic your pushing but I found that a VPS wasn't enough for me either, and that a fully dedicated server was my best option.

Right - like I said I don't think I have to worry about hitting any traffic caps just yet, but I plan to expand in the future and would like to be ready in case some traffic does come my way ;)

I can expand from there if need-be, and I plan to get a fully managed VPS (WiredTree) because I don't know anything about managing a server

I plan to get a fully managed VPS (WiredTree) because I don't know anything about managing a server

That's what I did 3 months ago and never looked back. I don't know much about servers too but having VPS with wiredtree has been an easy ride. These guys are there for you 24/7 and they start working on your ticket within 10 minutes. At least that has been my experience so far. And let me tell you I opened some really dumb support tickets in the beginning ;)

That's what I did 3 months ago and never looked back. I don't know much about servers too but having VPS with wiredtree has been an easy ride. These guys are there for you 24/7 and they start working on your ticket within 10 minutes. At least that has been my experience so far. And let me tell you I opened some really dumb support tickets in the beginning ;)

Awesome - I'm definitely going to get at it :)

Thank you

Now to make sure all my shit is backed up....... yikes

EDIT: How often do you backup your server? (somebody above said it's recommended to do)

Everyday! I just seen a very popular forum get taken down big time. The hacker got into the main httpd servers, sql servers and even the backup servers and did some major damage. It wouldnt hurt to have offsite backup and even one on a thumbdrive or some shit. You can never be to carefull these days.

Everyday! I just seen a very popular forum get taken down big time. The hacker got into the main httpd servers, sql servers and even the backup servers and did some major damage. It wouldnt hurt to have offsite backup and even one on a thumbdrive or some shit. You can never be to carefull these days.
Yeah, WHT just had that happen (WHT Data - Q&A Information - Web Hosting Talk - The largest, most influential web hosting community on the Internet) - it's making me re-evaluate my procedures. Online backup space is dirt cheap, so besides backing up on server in case you accidently delete shit, have your backups copied over somewhere else.

I run daily backups on server, and download occasionally to my home - I'm now going to do daily backups offsite, using some sort of differential backup method or versioning system (so I don't backup 5GB every day - just the stuff that changed).

I just moved over to futurehosting. Got a really good deal. They have a promo on WHT (maybe not if they got hacked), that gave some pretty amazing deals on their VPS. Between the discounts and the double ram and bandwidth they gave me, I got a deal I was pretty happy with..

So far the service has been excellent, but it has not been long enough to make a full judgment. Support response and assistance great.

My previous host went to hell in a handbasket. I had used them for years, but then within 2 weeks of my yearly term coming up with them for renewal I had regular outages for hours at a time. They were also a lot more expensive than most places, so I decided I needed to make a move. Fortunately I know some people who have been using FH for a while so they could recommend it highly, and my research also turned out pretty well.

They just added access to an internal private network where you can get dirt cheap backup VPS that are not accessible to the internet. You can use them to backup from your own machine, and there are no bandwidth limits on that nor does it count towards your server limits. I think 20gigs is like 10 bucks a month.

I just got my first Linux VPS with Liquidweb. All I can say is, if you're only used to shared hosting, be ready for a learning curve. And even though Liquidweb support is responsive, they have nothing written to aid newbies, no FAQ or tutorials designed for first-timers to VPS. So prepare for a learning curve, and you must be a techie type to survive.

That being said it feels cool to have my own little server. I should start some cheesy ass local hosting company now and recoup some of the $60/m.

Am I missing something or does this mean I don't really need a VPS yet? lol

Get off shared asap.

Create a free account at Free Websites Performance, Availability, Traffic Monitoring and track the up-time of your website. On a shared host, I'll be surprised if your site is up even 70% of the time.

VPS is guaranteed allocation of resources for your website. You get unlimited emails and databases as long as you stick within the resource limits you are purchasing.

If you get a VPS or Dedicated and find yourself lost, shoot me a P.M. and I can call you to walk you through it. I haven't had one long but it's great and I learned the in and outs enough to get you going.

The main disadvantage to using dedicated / VPS is that if you're good at researching, its very easy to find out the affiliate running the offer.

About 80% of affiliate slip up somehow. I need to use dedicated to handle all the clicks that I get without crashing... I do keep some things diverse on shared hosting packages.

Thanks everybody. For SURE there is a learning curve and it took me about 2 days to just figure out how to host a damn domain and get it setup on my server w/ the DNS changes etc etc. Also, never having used cPanel was a little frustrating too (damn GoDaddy)

Everything is falling into place and I think I have it down pat.

Thank you to everybody for helping me :)

Status
Not open for further replies.