How Do SEO Agencies Get Clients?

If they want to save their sanity and avoid punching walls in frustration at the maturity level of their "clients" they certainly aren't buying sales threads in the B/S/T.

I can't think of a bigger mistake I've made this summer than offering legitimate/white-hat services (specifically hand-sourced guest blog posts with top-tier content) here on WickedFire.

I don't know what happened to this forum between 2008 and now, but I'm very much starting to dislike this place. 4Chan could start a B/S/T and the overall client quality might improve.

Disclaimer: yes, I still have a press release thread in the BST here. At least at $200+ the client quality seems get a little better.

/endrant

If they want to save their sanity and avoid punching walls in frustration at the maturity level of their "clients" they certainly aren't buying sales threads in the B/S/T.

I can't think of a bigger mistake I've made this summer than offering legitimate/white-hat services (specifically hand-sourced guest blog posts with top-tier content) here on WickedFire.

I don't know what happened to this forum between 2008 and now, but I'm very much starting to dislike this place. 4Chan could start a B/S/T and the overall client quality might improve.

Disclaimer: yes, I still have a press release thread in the BST here. At least at $200+ the client quality seems get a little better.

/endrant

Agreed, plus 95% of the people here are broke fucks anymore which is why I stopped doing services.

lol @ this then your sig

4NETo.png

Sensible people don't pitch SEO work.

They pitch inbound marketing, reputation management, etc..

If you send a direct mail out and mention sem/seo/search engine optimisation/any "buzz" phrase like that that the average business owner has heard thousands of times before, they shut off to you.

I even did an experiment. We made 150 calls to companies first pitching seo. The next 150 calls we pitched exactly the same, but swapped seo for the phrase "inbound marketing". Far fewer "fuck off", "fuck you"s etc.

It's all about differentiation. You've got to appear different to the hundreds of calls people get from Indian call centres pitching this shit.

You've also got to get off your ass and actually market yourself/your company. SEO is ironically a poor way to get SEO clients, because the ROI is pretty much the worse of any SEO work you can do. Competing exclusively against other SEO companies in SEO is never going to get you as good of a return as say selling hammers in an online store, because you'll have to spend a shit ton more to rank. Not to mention people that google SEO usually aren't good clients.

We make 100 or so highly targeted calls a week, we get 5-10 meetings and probably close a deal or two between 2 of us. Only been going for a couple months, and most of what we sell is reputation management currently. Great thing is you can build trust by doing what they see as magic. "Holy shit where did all those bad reviews go!? That's amazing!" They then recommend you any time a business owner or friend complains about bad reviews. They then say "well if you can do that.. can you try and get me to rank for 'Supper D00p3r Turbo Hammers' in Google?" = upselling other services.

Then, they approach and say "hey we need a website, do you build websites?" "Nope, we just do inbound marketing consultancy, but we can help out with that in the process of building/designing your website and introduce you to a great web design firm if you like?" = free recommendation of great firm who you know does great work + another upsell as part of them getting their redesign work done you consult with the design company/them about how to build the site from an SEO POV.

The web dev firm we work with doesn't do marketing stuff, so any time a client asks about marketing they send them to us.

It's basically all about hustle. You've just got to get out there and start marketing. Phone people and empathise with them, try to get in their shoes and think "How would I be reacting to someone calling me about this?". You'll get told to fuck off a lot, and you'll get hung up on a lot too - but you'll get better and with time you'll realise that a surprising number of people are willing to give you a few minutes on the phone and meet you if you can convince them they have a problem or that you can make them money.

Rep management for example sells itself. "I google your company name and there's 7 people that have written 1* reviews about your hammers.. This is costing you business. I did a bit of research and over 2000 people a month search for your company name, and it's not uncommon for you to lose 50-80% of the customers who are exposed to bad reviews". *business man in his head is saying wait a minute.. 2000 people... 1000 is 50%.. If they were going to buy my hammers but don't now, that's £10,000 a month I'm potentially losing!!* "We can help you get rid of these reviews, mind if I pop in for 10 minutes to have a chat? I know you must be busy and don't want to waste your time - I think we can really help you here. I'm in the area Tuesday afternoon, does 3pm work for you?"

People that run genuine businesses get angry that people are writing this stuff online too. I've talked to someone who even phoned Trip Advisor in America, and hustled their way into talking to the CEO to try and get reviews taken down to no avail.

Selling SEO, consultancy and other marketing related services isn't hard. You just have to get out there, empathise with people, talk to people and sell, sell, sell. Once you've sold, under promise and over deliver every god damn time.

I appreciate that this is hard for the average WF'er to comprehend doing though, as the entire reason lots of people go into AM is to avoid human contact in the first place, and the idea of phoning or visiting people scares the shit out of them. As a random example of the money involved though, rep management can typically be £3-£10k for 3 months relatively basic work for a good sized £1m+ turnover company. If you do a good job you can then get them on ongoing retainer, and upsell other things (such as SEO, PPC, Email Marketing, Social Media Management, the list goes on..) to them.

The people that make it big have serious drive, and balls too. They won't stop at the small local restaurants or whatever, they'll always be thinking about how they can scale up.

I'd have to peddle a shit ton of links (& do a shit ton more work) in BST to cover even 1 rep management/seo sale.

If you send a direct mail out and mention sem/seo/search engine optimisation/any "buzz" phrase like that that the average business owner has heard thousands of times before, they shut off to you.

I even did an experiment. We made 150 calls to companies first pitching seo. The next 150 calls we pitched exactly the same, but swapped seo for the phrase "inbound marketing". Far fewer "fuck off", "fuck you"s etc.

It's all about differentiation. You've got to appear different to the hundreds of calls people get from Indian call centres pitching this shit.

You've also got to get off your ass and actually market yourself/your company. SEO is ironically a poor way to get SEO clients, because the ROI is pretty much the worse of any SEO work you can do. Competing exclusively against other SEO companies in SEO is never going to get you as good of a return as say selling hammers in an online store, because you'll have to spend a shit ton more to rank. Not to mention people that google SEO usually aren't good clients.

We make 100 or so highly targeted calls a week, we get 5-10 meetings and probably close a deal or two between 2 of us. Only been going for a couple months, and most of what we sell is reputation management currently. Great thing is you can build trust by doing what they see as magic. "Holy shit where did all those bad reviews go!? That's amazing!" They then recommend you any time a business owner or friend complains about bad reviews. They then say "well if you can do that.. can you try and get me to rank for 'Supper D00p3r Turbo Hammers' in Google?" = upselling other services.

Then, they approach and say "hey we need a website, do you build websites?" "Nope, we just do inbound marketing consultancy, but we can help out with that in the process of building/designing your website and introduce you to a great web design firm if you like?" = free recommendation of great firm who you know does great work + another upsell as part of them getting their redesign work done you consult with the design company/them about how to build the site from an SEO POV.

The web dev firm we work with doesn't do marketing stuff, so any time a client asks about marketing they send them to us.

It's basically all about hustle. You've just got to get out there and start marketing. Phone people and empathise with them, try to get in their shoes and think "How would I be reacting to someone calling me about this?". You'll get told to fuck off a lot, and you'll get hung up on a lot too - but you'll get better and with time you'll realise that a surprising number of people are willing to give you a few minutes on the phone and meet you if you can convince them they have a problem or that you can make them money.

Rep management for example sells itself. "I google your company name and there's 7 people that have written 1* reviews about your hammers.. This is costing you business. I did a bit of research and over 2000 people a month search for your company name, and it's not uncommon for you to lose 50-80% of the customers who are exposed to bad reviews". *business man in his head is saying wait a minute.. 2000 people... 1000 is 50%.. If they were going to buy my hammers but don't now, that's £10,000 a month I'm potentially losing!!* "We can help you get rid of these reviews, mind if I pop in for 10 minutes to have a chat? I know you must be busy and don't want to waste your time - I think we can really help you here. I'm in the area Tuesday afternoon, does 3pm work for you?"

People that run genuine businesses get angry that people are writing this stuff online too. I've talked to someone who even phoned Trip Advisor in America, and hustled their way into talking to the CEO to try and get reviews taken down to no avail.

Selling SEO, consultancy and other marketing related services isn't hard. You just have to get out there, empathise with people, talk to people and sell, sell, sell. Once you've sold, under promise and over deliver every god damn time.

I appreciate that this is hard for the average WF'er to comprehend doing though, as the entire reason lots of people go into AM is to avoid human contact in the first place, and the idea of phoning or visiting people scares the shit out of them. As a random example of the money involved though, rep management can typically be £3-£10k for 3 months relatively basic work for a good sized £1m+ turnover company. If you do a good job you can then get them on ongoing retainer, and upsell other things (such as SEO, PPC, Email Marketing, Social Media Management, the list goes on..) to them.

The people that make it big have serious drive, and balls too. They won't stop at the small local restaurants or whatever, they'll always be thinking about how they can scale up.

I'd have to peddle a shit ton of links (& do a shit ton more work) in BST to cover even 1 rep management/seo sale.
Wow, you just spelled out what we have been doing for several months now without realizing it.

We have changed our pitch away from SEO but still tend to cling to it because we never made the conscious effort to strategize similar to you indicated above.

In the last year, I've realized that in my meetings these people don't care about, seo, social media, marketing, or w/e. They care about the phones ringing. Now the best way we know to get their phones ringing is SEO. However, we should pitch the ringing phones first, then use SEO to get the job done.

+1 post. Funny one learns quality pieces of knowledge.

You just have to get out there, empathise with people, talk to people and sell, sell, sell. Once you've sold, under promise and over deliver every god damn time.

Nicely said. +1

I used to think SEO servies were different from brick and mortar operations.

What I realize now is that SEO just gives you ONE solution to the trickiest part of the puzzle: customer acquisition. I always hated Guerilla's high-horse contributions about starting a quality business and doing right by the customer because surely such principles didn't apply to my internet marketing projects. It's no surprise that he's right, and that running an internet marketing company is no different than owning a pub or slinging CDs out of the trunk of your car.

I waste my epiphanies on stupid simple concepts like that.

Wow, you just spelled out what we have been doing for several months now without realizing it.

We have changed our pitch away from SEO but still tend to cling to it because we never made the conscious effort to strategize similar to you indicated above.

In the last year, I've realized that in my meetings these people don't care about, seo, social media, marketing, or w/e. They care about the phones ringing. Now the best way we know to get their phones ringing is SEO. However, we should pitch the ringing phones first, then use SEO to get the job done.

+1 post. Funny one learns quality pieces of knowledge.

Business people for the most part don't care about using the "latest techniques", just improving their bottom line. So your job isn't to tell them all about how SEO works, all the link building, citation building & onpage optimisation you will be doing, but to teach them how ranking in the search engines will improve their bottom line.

Funnily enough, I get calls pitching me SEO, and I talk to them for fun just to see what other people are doing. It's staggering the number of people that go on and on about features and how the web is the latest thing, without even mentioning it could make me money, or how it will make me money.

There are some people that will do things just because it's the latest or "because everyone else is doing it", but they're generally going to be bad businesses anyway. [ This is the pitch lots of social media "experts" use, without considering value to the business.. "All of your competitors are using Facebook, why aren't you!?" ]

Nicely said. +1

I used to think SEO servies were different from brick and mortar operations.

What I realize now is that SEO just gives you ONE solution to the trickiest part of the puzzle: customer acquisition. I always hated Guerilla's high-horse contributions about starting a quality business and doing right by the customer because surely such principles didn't apply to my internet marketing projects. It's no surprise that he's right, and that running an internet marketing company is no different than owning a pub or slinging CDs out of the trunk of your car.

I waste my epiphanies on stupid simple concepts like that.

In the end you have something to sell, just like everyone else. Your skills lie in online marketing, so it's only natural for you to pursue online marketing, even if it's not the most effective route for marketing the particular business in question. (In this case your own).

It's the same as people selling real products via direct sales in the real world. They pursue what they know (i.e. direct mail/cold calls, newspaper ads, etc) and entirely ignore all the inbound marketing opportunities available on the web, despite them in many cases being many times more cost effective.

Marketing is by no means something where one method wins out for all businesses. Every business needs their own plan, and will be best off utilising a different combination to optimise sales. The options available also rapidly change as the company grows of course, too.

The key is to think like a business, rather than an internet marketer.

Selling SEO mostly consists of hiring some of the cool kids in high school to send to other cool kids in highschool to convince them to overpay for your nice office where more cool kids from high school work.

Basically, you just have to be convincing. Speak fluently and confidently, oversell in such a way that you can overdo what you offer and say hi to returning clients and "million dollars".

Great post!!

Thanks for this! It sounds like you use other people to set the appointments, is this correct? I can handle presentations well but the appointment setting (ie calling 100's of businesses to find prospects) wears on me quick.

Thanks for this! It sounds like you use other people to set the appointments, is this correct? I can handle presentations well but the appointment setting (ie calling 100's of businesses to find prospects) wears on me quick.

I work in partnership with someone else. He does all the calling / prospecting / mettings & manages the books, I write the proposals, do the client's work and manage accounts we already have.

IMO it's too much work for one person, but it depends on how quickly you want to grow. It's certainly possible for one person to do, it'll just take longer to pick up a reasonable number of clients.

Selling SEO mostly consists of hiring some of the cool kids in high school to send to other cool kids in highschool to convince them to overpay for your nice office where more cool kids from high school work.

are we talking high school qb cool or are we on talking "that fat kid that deals bud" kool?