High School Affiliate Marketers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

This one was my favorite.

One question... if you're so confident that by the end of summer you'll be making over $1,000/day - what would be the purpose of going to college for a comp sci degree?

You go to college to get a piece of paper that says you can do something so that someone will hire you - not so you can start your own business doing something you supposedly already know how to do.

Grow up.

Because I don't claim to know everything about the field I am getting into. Creating a program that trades stocks based on technical trends is very different from creating fully fledged artificial intelligence. I would not be developing artificial intelligence simply to make money. I would be doing it because I think it is firstly an awesome thing to do, and secondly because I really enjoy it.

In addition the only colleges I am looking at are very large research universities with very decorated research professors. I am not going to college to get a degree, but instead to be able to interface with other brilliant people in the are that I want to get in. I don't plan on learning anything new in class, but I do plan on learning a lot by talking to people who have helped pioneer the artificial intelligence industry. For instance Hans Moravec is a professor at Carnegie Mellon, and I think it would be worth going to that college simply to be able to do work with him... you would learn a lot that way. I am in high school now, and there are no brilliant pioneering people around me. If I felt college was the same way I would not be going.

You seem to make the mistake that the only reason you would go to college is to get a degree.

What kind of stocks? Has it made a profit and did you make it?
The artificial intelligence program is basically a neural network. I have given the program (which I designed) approximately 40 different variables (such as moving average, bollinger bands, slow stochastic, relative strength index, etc.) and the program randomly creates buy/sell rules with these variables. You then test the rules in the open market, and keep the rules that generally worked, and get rid of the rules that generally don't. I have not used it with real money yet, however in the past 2 weeks, if each day I shorted its least favorite stock and bought its favorite, I would be up appx. 35% atm. I need to give it more time to get rid of bad rules, and make more rules, as well as making the interface a little less clunky before I start trading with real money.

Yea I just graduated to. Not much else to say except I'm damn glad I found this shit early. btw, also getting a comp sci degree. Any urbana-champaign people here?

edit: i would like to point out that not all teens are as full of them selves as cardine up there ^^^ in all seriousness have you given your "master machine" a test run and see if it came out profitable?

Blah blah blah

Since I respect your kick ass attitude, but think your mouth is moving way too fast for your own good, I'll simply give you the best advice you'll ever get.

STFU. Quit justifying and just do it. The next 3-10 years of your life your mouth should be fucking shut, your ears open, your mind clear. If you can't handle that, then go to McDonalds!

Study study study and STFU, you'll find a SHIT LOAD of success if you follow that formula.

Reactions: cardine
The artificial intelligence program is basically a neural network. I have given the program (which I designed) approximately 40 different variables (such as moving average, bollinger bands, slow stochastic, relative strength index, etc.) and the program randomly creates buy/sell rules with these variables. You then test the rules in the open market, and keep the rules that generally worked, and get rid of the rules that generally don't. I have not used it with real money yet, however in the past 2 weeks, if each day I shorted its least favorite stock and bought its favorite, I would be up appx. 35% atm. I need to give it more time to get rid of bad rules, and make more rules, as well as making the interface a little less clunky before I start trading with real money.

yeah this program is just asking for trouble, this sounds exactly like what the quants were doing, except they have years of experience and Ph.D's and they still fucked up. what makes your idea any better

What's wrong with kids these days? When I was in highschool I was more worried about how many chicks I laid, not how much cash I made!

Since I respect your kick ass attitude, but think your mouth is moving way too fast for your own good, I'll simply give you the best advice you'll ever get.

STFU. Quit justifying and just do it. The next 3-10 years of your life your mouth should be fucking shut, your ears open, your mind clear. If you can't handle that, then go to McDonalds!

Study study study and STFU, you'll find a SHIT LOAD of success if you follow that formula.

+1 ...

while you may think you know shit and have "new" ideas - fuck that - you don't know shit and there are 100 people in front of you who have tried it.

Is that to say you can't be successful with whatever - no - hard work prevails (always has) - just sayin' don't pretend to know shit - the things you'll learn in the next 10 years will split your lid.

Money. Cars. Hoes. That's the order now bro

make money, fuck bitches. *whoop*

I am 17 years old and am entering my Senior year. I have been doing some part-time IM stuff for about 1.5/2 years now, but can't do it fulltime because of my job and school.

I am 17 years old and am entering my Senior year. I have been doing some part-time IM stuff for about 1.5/2 years now, but can't do it fulltime because of my job and school.

that's why you have to quit your job ;)

I'm going into senior year. I've been programming since fifth grade and doing anything to make money online for 3 years now. Work at boarding school is hard as shit though, so nowadays I can only work on this stuff over the summer. I don't mind though, to me it's just a hobby (a pretty lucrative one). I'll be applying to college this fall, and I plan on being an Economics major or Business major, depending which school I get into.

I know most of you don't believe in college, and that's great, but education is a big part of my life. And since I don't want to do affiliate marketing as a career, it's a necessity. I plan on going to grad school for my MBA or law degree afterwards, depending on what I decide...

Hopefully in college I will have more time than now (hard to believe, but all the alumni from my school report that college is much easier haha) to develop my web business and keep that dough rollin in. :p

What's wrong with kids these days? When I was in highschool I was more worried about how many chicks I laid, not how much cash I made!

In this country, you gotta make the money first. Then when you get the money, you get the power. Then when you get the power, then you get the women. - Tony Montana

Hopefully in college I will have more time than now (hard to believe, but all the alumni from my school report that college is much easier haha) to develop my web business and keep that dough rollin in. :p

it can be easier - most of the time. When college cracks down mid-semester usually for projects or midterms, and end of semester for finals, it's a bitch. all the professors load you down at the same time, but when it's over you're in the clear.

I'll be going to college next year because I'm not balling yet, I've already been accepted to my dream school and I'll hopefully get scholarships, and I'd like a fall back plan.

IMO, a fallback plan just creates an convenient excuse to give up.

Cash ='s Ass

In this country, you gotta make the money first. Then when you get the money, you get the power. Then when you get the power, then you get the women. - Tony Montana

Not to disrespect Mr Montana, but that's the chump's route to getting women. Guys that use their power/money to get women are the ones bitching on those I Hate My Wife sites all day.

You must not be very good at AM if you have a JOB.

You must not be very good at AM if you have a JOB.

Normal jobs are no fun..never again. Personally I'm in college and I'll be glad to get out and not pursue the field my degree's in, but rather start my own company for it.

After being in AM and making money without a boss - you can't ever go back to having one.

Status
Not open for further replies.