Hacked

They rewrote the page.php file with 17K characters of code. Tried to post it but there's a 10k limit. If anyone wants to look at it, let me know.

Your version will still leak via your feeds going that route. Instead you should...

/includes/version.php

Change:
$wp_version = '2.9.1';
To:
$wp_version = '6.9';

Don't go with a low version number or you'll keep getting that upgrade nag.

Yeah, scanning my WP site, I see that there's TONS of crap from other plugins putting 2.9.1 everywhere. Ugh....

Thanks a lot man. Not that I'm any more secure, but they won't be able to scrape for me as easily...

If they're in cPanel, then this almost certainly had nothing to do with WordPress.

^ Well, WP is what got hacked, the page.php file specifically (so far) and I was able to login to cpanel and change the password.

I don't know, this shit is breaking my mind.

What file in the WP install would I try and change the password so I can log back into wp and check for any added users?

Thanks for all the help.

^ Well, WP is what got hacked, the page.php file specifically (so far) and I was able to login to cpanel and change the password.

I don't know, this shit is breaking my mind.

What file in the WP install would I try and change the password so I can log back into wp and check for any added users?

Thanks for all the help.

You can go directly to the MySQL database, if you find any unauthorized users, edit their password to some random data. You could also delete them, but disabling and saving their info helps you identify any patterns they may be using.

Checked that, no new users. Looking about the wp-config file, there's an unfamiliar password for the database, tried using that to log into wp-admin, no luck.

You can go directly to the MySQL database, if you find any unauthorized users, edit their password to some random data.
^^^ That.

And, then do a full delete / reinstall of all of your WordPress core files. I'd also axe your theme and plugin files if you aren't sure what to look for in them to make sure it's all good in the hood.

Then, check every folder that follows the default WordPress install scheme and punch yourself in the nuts once for every folder that's set to be world writable / fuckable (chmod 777).

Last edited:
How much traffic is the site seriously getting? Check your latest visitors logs in CPanel and see what's been accessed by IP - maybe do a little banning even if they're using proxies. Does the customer need foreign traffic?

Your version will still leak via your feeds going that route. Instead you should...

/includes/version.php

Change:
$wp_version = '2.9.1';
To:
$wp_version = '6.9';

Don't go with a low version number or you'll keep getting that upgrade nag.

I'm doing this cuz I'm all paranoid now.

This is what it says now, lol:

You are using a development version (6.9). Cool! Please stay updated!

How much traffic is the site seriously getting? Check your latest visitors logs in CPanel and see what's been accessed by IP - maybe do a little banning even if they're using proxies. Does the customer need foreign traffic?

Think somebody accessing this file after first hitting /wp-admin is up to no good? :)

hxxp://gogorton.com/wp-admin/css/colors-fresh.css?ver=20091217

Also, if multiple IP lookups don't have info on a IP address, proxie?

dickroll em.

Yep. All foreign traffic is going elsewhere soon.

also check out Hardened-PHP Project - PHP Security - Home for some extra behind the scenes help.

do-not-want-dog.jpg

Also, make it a strict policy that all of your clients use SFTP and not FTP.

There have been a rash of exploits the last year or so of people getting clear-text passwords from FTP clients on Windows. Big chance this was the case with your issue.

Also seen a lot of xmlrpc recently. Believe that's what got techcrunch and shoemoney? I've disabled remote posting as an extra precaution.

Good lookin' out on the version number edit. I've had it removed from my theme but that seems like a much better step.