Guest Posting and Blog Commenting

FillWerrell

Peasant
Dec 9, 2013
US
Are those link building techniques still getting killed by Google? Maybe I'm not recalling correctly, but I thought one of the last few updates hammered people with blog comment backlinks and was starting to circle guest posts. Either of these still viable?

How can google kill guest blogging?

Nofollow every link out from blogs? I dont think so.

Same for commenting.

What they can kill is known blog networks, posts with 1000+ outbound links in the comments, anchor over optimization...

This is still a useful tactic if you are getting links from high ranking blogs, or are combining low quality blog links with links from high quality sites. This is also a good strategy if you are hitting a lot of blogs and are generating a lot of direct traffic from there to a website, or blog, that is targeting longtail keywords. The traffic you are getting will automatically boost you up in the search rankings for your longtail keywords.

Throw blog commenting out. Guest posting can still be done, but it has to be done right. I wouldn't do it purely for SEO purposes though, I'd seek out sites that can score some referral traffic.

PBN is Discourage by Google but still it has a worth. I think, If you have PBN hosted on several A, B and C class Ids you can get the High Quality to Rank your Keywords.
Cheers!!

It's not the food, it's the chef.

Links sold as "guests posts" for $15, that get posted on a network owned by the seller = bad.

High quality guest posts sourced through manual outreach on authority sites within your industry = good.

Automated blog comments on whored out blogs with 354 comments and no moderation = bad.

Manual and thoughtful comments on authority sites within your industry = good.

So to answer your question OP... It's not the type of link that gets people penalized, it's how they use the links.

What ddasilva said is entirely true. I would also add the need to diversify your links. If you create clear patterns of only getting blog comment and guest post links, even if high quality, you still run the risk of having their value dampened. Quality comments and guest posts are still powerful if accumulated consistently along with links from other sources.

Relevance matters. Guest posts, blog comments done within the industry give you both quality backlinks and referral traffic. A tech site linking to another tech related site is good/natural. Whereas baclinks from a site which links to almost anything (even worse from a single comments thread) is not, plus you might get penalized.

Some of my best traffic sources are from blog comments. Manually obtained guest posts can provide some killer ranking boosts. It's all about balance and where/how you obtain your links.

Hey guys,

IMO - guest blogging is still the most efficient link building tactic if done right.

Mix the outbound links in your article so it sends to some authority websites as well.

You can also avoid having Google detect it as a Guest Post by simply not mentioning that it is & having the owner post the article under his name. Some will accept this.

FYI, really good all-in-one resource for guest blogging: https://blog.kissmetrics.com/guide-to-blogger-outreach/

according to google latest updates, blog commenting & guest blogging is not very helpful now for marketing purposes. Though you can collect traffic from there if you know the methods.

If we were to go by Google's word, we'd just be building content and that's that.

They talk a lot of crap.

Blog commenting can bring you very targeted traffic if done in an ethical way, offering value.

Best to change your mind-state to building links for lead generation, not for SEO.

Eric Ward (one of the top experts in SEO) if I'm not mistaken said he was ONLY building links for traffic, and 90% of the traffic to his website was by referral (6 mil views / mo).

That should tell you a lot...

None of this works anymore

Sincerely,

Google Web Spam Team

according to google latest updates, blog commenting & guest blogging is not very helpful now for marketing purposes. Though you can collect traffic from there if you know the methods.
HURR DURR - get fucked

-----

I've been leaving roughly 10-20 manual blog comments a day on relevant blogs and I'm starting to get my shit ranked in days rather than weeks. I make sure each comment is relevant, provides some actual value, and sometimes I add in a link to a recent news article along with my link and they both tend to stick. My stick rate is probably upwards of 80% and these links have actually brought in almost 100 natural links as well.

PROTIP: Old manual blog commenting methods still work, just be more selective on your targets.

I can confirm blog commenting still works. One of my blogs I frequent is an authority for the niche and it regularly surpasses google traffic to my site.

Thanks for the reassurance!

Guest posting is the best and most effective way to build backlinks. This will boost the domain authority of your site. I recently bought 4 guest posts/niche edits on Kallisto.io | https://kallisto.io/buyer/ and my rankings have gone up.