Graphical design

Status
Not open for further replies.

NtodaS

super postwhore delux
Jun 24, 2006
Netherlands
www.hdtvpedia.com
I like to start a topic here about the graphical part of making websites. I really like this part mostly because (I think :p) I'm pretty good at it. I also design logo's and banner related graphics. What kind of programmes do you use? I do all my work with Photoshop.. :)

I use Macromedia Fireworks because i find it easier to use and it's less expensive. But I'm not too good at it. :)

The Gimp isn't too bad either for basic stuff. Adobe Illustrator is a must.

Andew, do you know of any good tutorials for Illustrator? Most of the tutorial sites have tutorials for very old versions.

I have Illustrator, but I've never quite figured out how to use it.

NtodaS said:
I like to start a topic here about the graphical part of making websites. I really like this part mostly because (I think :p) I'm pretty good at it. I also design logo's and banner related graphics. What kind of programmes do you use? I do all my work with Photoshop.. :)
you're pretty good at it, is my logo done yet? ;P

I use photoshopt CS, but I wish I still had 7 because the Adobe Bridge feature they packed with CS is really killing performance

I never have used illustrator, so I can't really say much about it though i've never missed it too. Almost anything in a 2d to semi-3d space can be made using only photoshop

NtodaS said:
I never have used illustrator, so I can't really say much about it though i've never missed it too. Almost anything in a 2d to semi-3d space can be made using only photoshop
yeah but ps doesn't have the vector tools that are what makes illustrator... an illustrator program

peach said:
yeah but ps doesn't have the vector tools that are what makes illustrator... an illustrator program

Hmm probably never missed that beacause I don't really do large scale vector based images. I do think Illustrator is great for those cartoony-clean-logos though. I can always see the Illustrator touch in it ;)

NtodaS said:
Hmm probably never missed that beacause I don't really do large scale vector based images. I do think Illustrator is great for those cartoony-clean-logos though. I can always see the Illustrator touch in it ;)
IMO vector should be used for any logo because it can resize losslessly and scale up to be printed out more sharply

peach said:

Fireworks does have some vector functionality, that's one of the reasons I like it so much.

What trends are hot at the moment? A while ago those 45 degree stripes where the shit, after that i think came a more vintage look. What's hot right now?

What I see those plastic like stars that dont really have a function, i think it's a PS brush. anyway I see them more and more on sites.

NtodaS said:
What trends are hot at the moment? A while ago those 45 degree stripes where the shit, after that i think came a more vintage look. What's hot right now?

What I see those plastic like stars that dont really have a function, i think it's a PS brush. anyway I see them more and more on sites.

You can also try being original rather then following trends. :rolleyes:

The only reason to use anything but photoshop is...well...there is no reason! Use photoshop.

Just recently got photoshop/illustrator, before that I used gimp. It works pretty well in a pinch.

I'm all for photoshop. I used to hang at deviantart a lot, fell for photomanipulations and gained tons of good ideas but only did a few good pieces my self :( .

Ironically, since I do more coding & writing now, I often have a tough time making my sites look decent :mad:

I guess photoshop is easy to learn (there like 2 gazillion tutorial sites). But it's hard to master, I use it for like 5 years now and still i think i only use 50% of it's functions and capabilities.

NtodaS said:
I guess photoshop is easy to learn (there like 2 gazillion tutorial sites). But it's hard to master, I use it for like 5 years now and still i think i only use 50% of it's functions and capabilities.

I feel so out of my league just starting with photoshop - One of the things I intend to outsource is the graphic work as soon as I can.

Status
Not open for further replies.