Google Year End Bonus is Smartphone not Cash

Status
Not open for further replies.

DelJean

Nov 18, 2007
Allow me to be the first to wish the rule-bound, overly officious employess of Google a Very Merry Fuck You...

Google on Tuesday began handing out mobile smartphones rather than cash as a year-end present to its staff, in a move that reflects an effort by the company to pare the cost of its lavish employee perks.

The internet search group is to give most of its 20,100 employees around the world the G1, the first handset to be powered by Google’s new mobile operating system, known as Android.

News of the handout came in an internal memo that first appeared on Valleywag, a blog, and was later confirmed by the company.
In past years Google has given all of its employees a year-end cash present, which one person close to the company put at about $1,000. The company also hands out performance-related bonuses in the form of restricted stock and cash and these would be paid as normal early next year, the person close to Google said.

Trimming back perks when times get tough can have a disproportionately big impact on morale, as other wealthy technology companies have found in the past and Google’s founders have themselves warned.
FT.com / Companies / Technology - Google bonus is smartphone not cash

Wonder what Myspace is giving their employees thanks to the overcharges?

Imo that's a bullshit move for Google. They want to get into mobile, but they're doing it wrong imo. They can't force their shit on anyone, especially employees. I just hope they all revolt an not accept it or something - those nazis need to be taken down at the knees.

Imo that's a bullshit move for Google. They want to get into mobile, but they're doing it wrong imo. They can't force their shit on anyone, especially employees. I just hope they all revolt an not accept it or something - those nazis need to be taken down at the knees.

Wrong.

Times are tough for multi-nationals- where have you been the last 3 months? EVERY multi-national company is in cost cutting mode right now.

Can't force a product? 90% of this board will prove you wrong. Windows.

At this point I'm glad I didn't pack up and go move there a couple of years ago. The stock price was around $450 the day of my interview.

Not that the situation isn't bad at my current day job, where we dropped over 500 people a few weeks ago.

Sean

who really cares? they are cutting costs. if they employees sell them, thats great. you can't blame G from a financial standpoint.

if they'd left my content network campaigns alone they'd have an extra 1/2 million a month.

Wrong.

Times are tough for multi-nationals- where have you been the last 3 months? EVERY multi-national company is in cost cutting mode right now.

Can't force a product? 90% of this board will prove you wrong. Windows.

FALSE

I just spoke with someone who works for them and he told me that Google is also paying the bill for the phone, which sounds like a pretty sweet deal. Plus the phone is unlocked, and has some custom Google employee theme or some crap.

I got a $400 cash bonus working part time at a big-name supermarket for $7.50 an hour in high school. Sucks to work for Google.

Posted by a Google employee on Webmasterworld in response to questions about holiday gifts this year:

We really appreciate the work you all put into building great sites. However, we feel that gift-giving is not the most appropriate gesture this year given the current global economic climate. I know you may be disappointed, but I hope you can understand our efforts to be fiscally responsible in these times.
ASA

Status
Not open for further replies.