godaddy reserves the right to cancel your domain, for ANY reason?

kadsc

Feb 1, 2011
United Kingdom
I have just reviewed the updated terms for Godaddy (the Universal terms)

and it says clearly here that they can terminate and suspend access to your domain, for ANY reason, at ANY time that they see fit:

http://www.godaddy.com/Agreements/Sh...px?pageid=UTOS

see clause 8. absolutely shocking.

So basically, I have no protection whatsoever when registering with godaddy and if they decide "oh, we dont like you", Im gone????

Absolutely ridiculous, considering how millions of businesses and people have their livelihoods depending on it.

can anyone comment on this? I am going to move away my key domains as this is an incredibly shady practise that they're even ADMITTING TO!!!

Any registrar can do that, simply because they're selling you a license, not ownership.

thats BS - not all registrars can do that - they at least GIVE NOTICE or A REASON. Ive looked at a few t & c's for some companies already and they'll only cancel your domain if you directly infringe policies or due to an ICANN dispute, but not for just ANYTHING.

here, godaddy is giving NO REASON WHATSOEVER for cancelling a domain. You could have a multi-million pound business wiped out over night - for no reason - simply because a godaddy employee or whatever didnt like you

that is what it is saying - and you would have NO recourse to dispute it!

with a policy like that, they could suspend your domain because they dont like:

1. the fonts you use
2. website color
3. because they want to steal it
4. they just done like you

sounds ridiculous...any got any recommendations?> namecheap seems a bit dodgy as well after looking at their t & c, but nowhere near as godaddy sounds

I will never use godaddy again. The hosting I just don't need and I like namecheap a lot better for domains. I don't get random phone calls from namecheap or junk email from them. Only time I get email from namecheap is when something is about to expire.

thats BS - not all registrars can do that - they at least GIVE NOTICE or A REASON. Ive looked at a few t & c's for some companies already and they'll only cancel your domain if you directly infringe policies or due to an ICANN dispute, but not for just ANYTHING.

here, godaddy is giving NO REASON WHATSOEVER for cancelling a domain. You could have a multi-million pound business wiped out over night - for no reason - simply because a godaddy employee or whatever didnt like you

that is what it is saying - and you would have NO recourse to dispute it!

hm, godaddy is actually notorious for cancelling domains out of the blue (even after unverified complaints), but I am sure that every registrar has a similar clause in their TOS; or at least some broad definition of objectionable content or something similar that their lawyers have come up with

I've had GoDaddy domains pulled out from under me for bullshit reasons, I've had domains temporarily taken offline from them, and I've been fined by them for bullshit reasons.

Right now I use eNom and Moniker.