Frustrated with outsourcing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Striker, are you a marketer?

If so, outsource the design but do the content yourself. The design is important but it's the SELLING that will make you money. Don't outsource that part to a designer/coder.

Did you find a designer yet? If not, PM me to discuss but I have a top notch guy who can help you

When you get design work done, get several different templates made that are not completely similar (images, names, colors and code structure should be different if you are concerned about leaving footprints).

This way, when you want to move on a campaign, you have a few choices ready and waiting, just add the copy to one and roll it out.

I only use U.S. guys now. But its still impossible to find anyone that wont disappear if they do a shitty job and you want it fixed.
They usually do a good job on the first project, but by the 3rd its totally half assed.

I only use U.S. guys now. But its still impossible to find anyone that wont disappear if they do a shitty job and you want it fixed.
They usually do a good job on the first project, but by the 3rd its totally half assed.

This is why you pay NOTHING upfront.

Qffsv35ler3Vyyw7aY0oqNT5t3zt9Eq7taL.jpg

If you want the content done exactly as you imagine, find similar landing pages with the style of copy you want. Send them to your writers and ask them to do something similar. If they're good enough (since you're paying $20 apiece, they should be at least decent), you should get a similar feel and tone without copying the original. That should work easier than just telling them to turn up content based on a product with no guideline on how to present it.

Honestly, scheduling will be your biggest bane. Freelancers ensure their livelihood by booking ahead as much potential work as they can. Unless you chance upon someone without any ongoing clients, you'll be hard-pressed to find someone good who turns up your work the next day.

What do you guys do?

Say I want a review style landing page done?

1. I hire a designer and get a HTML page done. I ask him to fill the page with random text.

2. I hire a write separately. I take the landing page to him, ask him to so some research on the topic and products I'm promoting , write reviews for the products on landing page and some articles on the side.

3. Then you take both things and put 'em together yourself?

Why can't I find some who can do all? Are there anyone or is this even a good idea outsourcing everything to one person?

I've started insourcing everything.

I don't charge myself much, plus I'm an english speaker with tech skills who knows how to follow directions.

We post a lot of project work and have great results with rentacoder.com.

Sure we get some duds, but the money is in escow so you just move onto the next resource.

Pretty well for any project we have 20-30 + bids and usually after sifting out the crap we end up with 3-4 decent coders.

I get complete websites developed for $100, but basic stuff like a php script done for $20 tops, and the work is top notch. Yes I am using resources in india, romania, china, etc but they are quick, work hard and get the job done.

Sometimes communication is a problem (if they do not understand english well enough) but I find asking a few questions before accepting the bid and reading their english gives you a good guide as to whether they will turn out ok.

The time I save outsouring is incredible, I would never go back to doing it myself now.

Just expect to put a bit of time in initially finding the good resources and you will be fine.

Good luck.

Cheers

Tim

I'm dealing with similar issues, the coder we're using came out with an incredible original mock up but when we've asked him to edit parts of it - it becomes elementary. Different fonts, logo that has a completely different feel and color than the rest, all the pages made past the index are just the navigation+logo and an h1 with a paragraph. I found this guy through elance and he had an 88%. I'm sure there are duds everywhere but I hear more good things about rentacoder than elance.

dont outsource. if you think a college student in your area wont love to write twenty articles and make an LP for $200 youre crazy.

most people in college make like 200 a week at their part time job. this would take them only about 3 days.

Sometimes it's pure luck, I have an AWESOME content writer who is from the US. A mother of 2, and can push out 30 articles a day. I love her. She was the second writer I ever hired.

Give me her email if she wants more work -- I'll hire her.

i do have a good writer though, really reliable, for $7 an article. She wanted $5 at first, but i gave her $7 because im nice

Besides AM, I am also a Webmaster for a large corp and the outsources from the largest companies in the world (SAP for example) absolutely stink! I deal with people from India, Brazil, etc because I have to and the work quality and communication problems are absurdly below par. So its not just Elance.

Like other people have commented, I would rather outsource to my ten year old daughter. I'm serious, her article quality is way, way superior!

Good help is hard to find but I've seen a few writers in Sell/Buy section that people go crazy about and I just left one guy a message about landing page design. He has a large portfolio and if I'm satisfied I will forward his name to you.

Striker, are you a marketer?

If so, outsource the design but do the content yourself. The design is important but it's the SELLING that will make you money. Don't outsource that part to a designer/coder.

Did you find a designer yet? If not, PM me to discuss but I have a top notch guy who can help you

That's great but I wish I could write 2000 word article for the flog or write three 500 word reviews for the products I'm prompting. It's either I copy it from someone else or hire a writer to produce the same piece in different wording and/or style so its doesn't look like I copied. But I understand your point about writing the pre-selling yourself.

The topic I'm somewhat interested in I would write myself but for most case, I would rather outsource.

My recent outsourcing project didn't go well either. Just look at my new blog template and you'll know. The freaking thing looks like someone in high school with 0 design skills did it. The fonts in menu are different from everything else. H2 fonts size is 10x bigger than H1, etc. It's a very p00r job done @ $155. I outsourced to some guy in India. Now he is taking his sweet time to the fix the bugs and doesn't respond for days. I'm tired of chasing him.

I've dealt with one good designer from India. I found him at Elance but he too took long to turn things around. I'm Indian as well and i don't mean bash these guys but come on...

I'll try guys from this forum and see how it goes...I'm sure I'll find someone with good quality work and with fast turn around

Status
Not open for further replies.