Firefox vs IE - formatting problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
stop being a fanboy Aequitas. if you do your codes right, you'll be fine on any brwoser, any operating system. that's too bad you have to right extra code for IE cause over 70% of the world are using it.

?What a Sony fanboy?

He was explaining why it is.

I want to see this all so perfect code some of you keep preaching that doesn't require you do go the extra mile to work in IE6, sure IE7 has a lot ironed out but lets see bitches.

I'm sick of people preaching "if you know how to code!"

No shit IE is the most common but it still blows ass. Aequitas pointed out something a lot over look because they think "well this is how this should work but why isn't it in IE"...well logically speaking they did everything right but IE blows ass and you have to draw everything out for it.

?What a Sony fanboy?

He was explaining why it is.

I want to see this all so perfect code some of you keep preaching that doesn't require you do go the extra mile to work in IE6, sure IE7 has a lot ironed out but lets see bitches.

I'm sick of people preaching "if you know how to code!"

No shit IE is the most common but it still blows ass. Aequitas pointed out something a lot over look because they think "well this is how this should work but why isn't it in IE"...well logically speaking they did everything right but IE blows ass and you have to draw everything out for it.

he is saying why IE is not smart enough to realize the problem and fix it. smart enough my ass. just code it right and there is no problem. I really don't give a shit if you are sick of people like me, but can suck my balls any day.

There are "standards" published by the W3C. They're only as standard as the number of people following them. Code written to conform to "standards" is only as right as the code that works for the people following the standards.

Basically you can have perfectly validating W3C compliant HTML but if it's broken in IE (who's not following the standards) how "right" is the code?

he is saying why IE is not smart enough to realize the problem and fix it. smart enough my ass. just code it right and there is no problem. I really don't give a shit if you are sick of people like me, but can suck my balls any day.

Honestly I don't give a fuck how long you've been coding for, I don't care if you've been coding for the past 100 fucking years and you think you know it all, If you think for a split second you can get your design/coding correct across browsers on your first shot then your a fucking lier and you've never coded anything in your fucking life.

I've been building pages for 6 years straight, every fucking day non-stop, its not that I don't know how to code its that I code for Firefox/IE, but as doing so when you go do your browser testing you'll always, always, always have to tweak your code a little bit to satisfy both browsers.

But thats fucking minor shit dude, if your so great maybe you should learn how hard it is to do cross platform coding the first time around, I'm talking about the difference between a MAC and PC, yeah did you know that the html color codes (#ffffff, #000000, ect) are different among platforms, MAC has slightly different codes then PC does but you've got to tweak if you want to please both.

Now don't even get me fucking started on coding for the rest of the browsers, while keeping the design/layout the way you want it. I used to code for everything, I used to please firefox/IE/MAC/PC, all of them but eventually you realize its pointless to do all the extra work and you just code for FireFox and tweak for IE and your done, thats the majority of the users anyway.

Oh fuck now you've got me all hyped up on this shit, lets go off and now talk about fucking screen resoultions now shall we, wide screen compared to normal screen displays, 1024x768 compared to 800x600, ever wonder why more and more developers are just saying fuck it and leaving empty space among both sides, its because now over 50% of internet users use a 1024x768 screen resolution but they don't want to loose out on the old fucks who are blind and use the 800x600 resolution.

Now I'm getting off topic but simply put there is NO WAY IN FUCKING HELL you can even please everything at once, the smartest coders in the world build for their preference first and then tweak for the rest once they are done.

So if your going to try and come at me with this fucking shit you better be better educated cause I know I am.

Aequitas.

I also spend every day writing code. I write a lot of HTML and CSS and consider myself fairly expert when it comes to cross-browser compatibility.

I develop everything on a mac and test/validate with FireFox. Since I know what type of things will get me into trouble with IE I either avoid them or factor that into the process of writing all of the HTML/CSS. I do take IE (and other browsers) into consideration DURING the development process so that I'm not surprised at the end when I think everything is finished but it's actually broken in _____ browser.

Your point about the colors being different isn't quite right. Colors like #000000 (black) and #FFFFFF (white) fall into the "web safe" color group. They're colors that look nearly exact, if not exact, across different browser/operating system combinations. Now obviously somebody could be using a computer that is configured to have a very high color temperature which would make the colors look different than somebody else using a computer that was configured with a low color temperature, but I think that is beyond the control of a web developer and thus a non-issue.

What's worse is that I don't believe knowing specific HEX color codes is THAT important. Sure I know that #333333 is a darker gray than #DDDDDD or that #FF0000 will give me red, but do you know off the top of your head what #AD37B1 is?

If one wants to be a lazy developer and do what is required to get things to work most of the time in most of the browsers for most of the people, their work will reflect this level of effort. However, if you want to develop things in such a way that you can account for the majority of differences across browser, operating system, screen resolution etc. etc. you will inevitably end up building a BETTER website with BETTER markup and BETTER styles.

You're right, you can't please everyone at once, and trying to do that is only asking for trouble. However you can please most people and allow your code to degrade gracefully for those situations which you do not support.

Finally, it's Mac, not MAC. :D

Reactions: Aequitas
if you think I'm that dumb to sit here and read your lecture about fucking Firefox, you are wrong. just learn to code. here is a guide for you
World Wide Web Consortium

haha another very informative response I see, whats wrong couldn't hack writing a valuable response like maxor did.

maxor,

Excellent response, but what I was trying to get at with the Mac/PC issue was that some colors are different, not all (web safe colors as you stated), and there not big differences, exactly why I don't worry about them anymore. I just used the white and black HEX codes as a way to show what I was talking about considering I said html color codes instead of HEX codes which would have been more descriptive.

Aequitas,

Thanks. I've been through this flame war a million times and the people who design only for IE are just as bad as the people who link to the W3C and suggest that people learn to write "good code".

@Aequitas
thxs for the head up,gonna consider that the next time ill code some css :)

for others wich are looking into the same,check this page out
Explorer Exposed!

Status
Not open for further replies.