Face Mash from The Social Network

jdprgm

May 19, 2008
I am sure most of you have seen it but for those who haven't facemash was the site that led zuckerburg to creating facebook. It was a site for rating the attractiveness of girls at Harvard that only existed for a week gaining a lot of traffic before he shut it down due to pressure from Harvard.

I am currently in college and was looking for some feedback on copying the idea. After seeing the movie with a friend we both thought it would be great to make a similar site and have the technical know how. In Zuckerburgs case he faced trouble due to hacking into the schools database to download personal profiles which raised privacy issues, he also hosted it through harvard i believe.

I already have an ideal domain and a separate host of course and the girls pictures would be submitted by members, most likely simply using facebook profile pictures. I plan to have the site closed to only members of my school enforced by requiring sign up using a @myschool.edu email.

What potential legal issues could I face, if any? Obviously raises privacy but if it uses publicly available photos and is only available to my community I feel like that wouldn't be a large issue.

Frankly I am surprised sites like this haven't already been copied due to the viral nature of the idea. All the guys I have talked to can't wait to use it. Thanks for the feedback!

I am sure most of you have seen it but for those who haven't facemash was the site that led zuckerburg to creating facebook. It was a site for rating the attractiveness of girls at Harvard that only existed for a week gaining a lot of traffic before he shut it down due to pressure from Harvard.

I am currently in college and was looking for some feedback on copying the idea. After seeing the movie with a friend we both thought it would be great to make a similar site and have the technical know how. In Zuckerburgs case he faced trouble due to hacking into the schools database to download personal profiles which raised privacy issues, he also hosted it through harvard i believe.

I already have an ideal domain and a separate host of course and the girls pictures would be submitted by members, most likely simply using facebook profile pictures. I plan to have the site closed to only members of my school enforced by requiring sign up using a @myschool.edu email.

What potential legal issues could I face, if any? Obviously raises privacy but if it uses publicly available photos and is only available to my community I feel like that wouldn't be a large issue.

Frankly I am surprised sites like this haven't already been copied due to the viral nature of the idea. All the guys I have talked to can't wait to use it. Thanks for the feedback!

hot-or-not.com ..it has been copied

meh.ro4687-455x341.jpg

hot-or-not.com ..it has been copied
Yes I know there are sites like that, the concept is infinitely better if you know many of the people you are rating. i can't find any that are limited to college campuses that are active.

I'm sure thousands of impressionable students just had the same idea as you did.
I mean it's not an idea just a reincarnation. Also as I said i'm surprised I didn't start seeing these pop up weeks after the movie came out.

Why dont you get sued first and get that out of the way.
This is why I made this post before I built it. In zuckerburgs case the things he got in trouble for would not exist in my reincarnation.

I know that internet privacy laws are kind of gray in terms of what's fine and what isn't.

You could potentially legally be sued and raped in the butthole if found in violation of the Rapus buttus rebuttus statutes.

Reactions: papajohn56
If it's for kicks, giggles and resume padding, why not go for it. Eventually the ugly chicks will complain loud enough and you'll have to shut it down, but at least you'll have a great story on how this one time you copied something cool somebody else did.

Bro I've been thinking the same thing, I was thinking of this website that links to every website. Like for instant people can search what they want and the website has to have that word that was search in it and the websites will rank by content and how many websites link to them. I will change the algorithm like every week just to fuck with people and make more money. What do you think bros? www.searchitlikethis.com will be my website

not sure if srs

you're only 7 years late, no biggie

There are something like 100 very popular sites that let people rate each others looks and guess what, they all make money because people are insecure.

I say to the OP, go for it but make the site different than all the other hot or not rip off's so you can sell it down the line.

Bro I've been thinking the same thing, I was thinking of this website that links to every website. Like for instant people can search what they want and the website has to have that word that was search in it and the websites will rank by content and how many websites link to them. I will change the algorithm like every week just to fuck with people and make more money. What do you think bros? www.searchitlikethis.com will be my website

legit model. +rep.

There are something like 100 very popular sites that let people rate each others looks and guess what, they all make money because people are insecure.

I say to the OP, go for it but make the site different than all the other hot or not rip off's so you can sell it down the line.
Actually, I could see this being some really pro shit. I don't know what these kinds of sites are doing nowadays, dont really care. But with facebook being so big now and everyone having access to everyone's pictures you could set it up for individual colleges. then people could only post up pics of people in the college and could only vote on people in their college.

Easy fucking money. At least until you come into problems with privacy or whatever bullshit.

Just to be clear I am not claiming to be unique at all.. saw it on the movie, wondered why my school didn't have one, all the people in the room agreed we should yadayada. I go to a school with with 30,000 students and have a feeling this would spread mad fast. Basically a marketers dream.

I know there are plenty of "rating" sites but it's not really the same when it's just random people. The idea here is that it's personal.. only students at my school could access and rate and you are rating people you know. I managed to get ahold of a perfect domain name for the thing rate"myschooolname".com

Actually, I could see this being some really pro shit. I don't know what these kinds of sites are doing nowadays, dont really care. But with facebook being so big now and everyone having access to everyone's pictures you could set it up for individual colleges. then people could only post up pics of people in the college and could only vote on people in their college.

Easy fucking money. At least until you come into problems with privacy or whatever bullshit.
Yeah that is exactly what I was planning on basically.

Didn't read the thread, cause it looked boring, but how you going to get the images? And your probably not going to get sued, but expelled. Seems of more of just a stupid hobby, then something to really monetize, and bank with.

OH! how bout we make a site, called BanJdprgmorNot.com I would totally vote yes, and giggle like a schoolgirl. I just +repped me.

Didn't read the thread, cause it looked boring, but how you going to get the images? And your probably not going to get sued, but expelled. Seems of more of just a stupid hobby, then something to really monetize, and bank with.

OH! how bout we make a site, called BanJdprgmorNot.com I would totally vote yes, and giggle like a schoolgirl. I just +repped me.

Pictures would come from publicly viewable facebook photos. It could be monetized if I created something that included all schools around the country in separate groups ect... but yea for now it's mostly an interest thing.

As for trouble with the school I can see no reason. Nothing about it would come from the school everything is external. The only thing it has to do with the school is that it's a thing for people who go here. haters gonna hate

Just sell .edu backlinks. You will already be ahead of the guys that claim edu.shitsite.com links are real edu links.

look i know it's not an original idea, second I know it would be successful. What I would like to know is: if it was you is there anything I havn't thought of that you would be worried about and would you try to immediately monetize it? I am figuring all the email addresses alone will be useful for the future.