Double-edged Razors. Are you a man?

btw $30 will buy you a good double edge and $2 will get you decent blades. There's quite a few sample packs floating around with all the major high end manufacturers. Try them all and find what you like.

Not many people into the bling here?

Gold plated Merkur Slant and Merkur HD - feather blades or bust...

Shaving Creams....

Geo F Trumper Rose
Geo F Trumper Coconut Oil
Taylor of Old Bond Street Almond
Taylor of Old Bond Street Jermyn Street

Aftershave...

Geo F Trumper Curzon

Chicks dig it...

Sorry for image quality, I have to clean my razors today...

Attachments

• Merkur.jpg
    Merkur.jpg
    11.8 KB · Views: 22
6-8 shaves for a $.10 high quality blade aint bad. Any body here use pre-shave soap (not lather)? A guy at work just told me it makes all the difference in how smooth the shave is.

How frequently do you change out blades?

I do every couple shaves. It's important to remember there is a hair-limit on the blade (how many shaves) as well as a time limit (how many days). If you're not shaving every day then expect to get fewer shaves out of each blade. Once the water touches it, corrosion starts and you can end up with a crappy blades, even if it doesn't have much mileage on it. This can be remedied by submerging the razor head and balde in rubbing alcohol between shaves, but I've never bothered.

6-8 shaves for a $.10 high quality blade aint bad. Any body here use pre-shave soap (not lather)? A guy at work just told me it makes all the difference in how smooth the shave is.

No pre-shave soap here, but I do put down a thin layer of oil before the lather.

I think the #1 most important thing is finding "your shave."

Everyone has a different face and will respond to different razors and products. Luckily, it's not expensive to experiment. Things that work for you might not necessarily work for me and it doesn't mean either of us are wrong. The worst part about these threads are the guys rolling in with 6 whiskers and saying a disposable does it all.

After some experimenting myself, I basically have my in-a-rush routine and my sunday-morning-pamper-myself shave that takes 20 minutes.

Us guys don't really go to spas to get our nails done and shit. We work in an extremely fast-paced industry and there aren't very many old school things that are left to slow down and relax with. I definitely enjoy my shave time in the bathroom from the first hot towel all the way to my aftershave lotion. God bless America.

My razor blades die like a MOFO. I basically change out my blade every time I shave. The jojoba oil I use and the cream I use leave a lot of build up on the blades. I also live on the ocean and the salt air probably helps eat the blades. It could also just be that I shave once a week. I let my hair grow out until it bothers me and then I shave it all off again.

Regardless blades are way fucking cheaper than the boxed BS they are trying to sell us now. Its like $15 for 4 cartridge refiles isn't it?

I do every couple shaves. It's important to remember there is a hair-limit on the blade (how many shaves) as well as a time limit (how many days). If you're not shaving every day then expect to get fewer shaves out of each blade. Once the water touches it, corrosion starts and you can end up with a crappy blades, even if it doesn't have much mileage on it. This can be remedied by submerging the razor head and balde in rubbing alcohol between shaves, but I've never bothered.

Oh yeah? Good to know. I will try a different blade every other shave and see if I notice a difference.

Once the water touches it, corrosion starts and you can end up with a crappy blades, even if it doesn't have much mileage on it. This can be remedied by submerging the razor head and balde in rubbing alcohol between shaves, but I've never bothered.

Mineral oil works really well for keeping blades sharp too.

Dullspace, great point about finding the shave that works for you. I too have various tools and routines depending what I need. Quick trim on the edges to tidy up for work? Remington electric does the trick quickly while dry. Twice weekly head/face shave? Time to kick back old school style with some Sinatra and the Merkur.

So how long did it take you guys to get used to wet shaving with a DE? Definitely experiencing a bit of a learning curve.

pretty good info in this thread. I think I am getting myself a merkur 180 soon and the stuff that goes with it

So how long did it take you guys to get used to wet shaving with a DE? Definitely experiencing a bit of a learning curve.
2 weeks. Took me about a week to stop worrying about slitting my own throat.

Take your time, be patient and you'll pull off a decent shave. Don't expect the first few shaves to be good, because they won't be.

pretty good info in this thread. I think I am getting myself a merkur 180 soon and the stuff that goes with it

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/SimplyBeautiful-Shaving-Basic-Merkur-Badger/dp/B00247QR0E/ref=pd_sbs_hpc_7"]This is the set[/ame] This is the set I bought for cheaper than I found anywhere else. It cost me about $114 total after shipping for the Merkur #180, Omega soap, chrome dish, badger brush and brush holder and then a separate blade sampler pack I got.

Just be sure to put in the notes that they send you the #180 model and not the significantly shorter #178 (unless you prefer it). They did that to me and I had to send it back and wait for the correct model.

Can't beat this:

wilkclassic.jpg

My razor blades die like a MOFO. I basically change out my blade every time I shave. The jojoba oil I use and the cream I use leave a lot of build up on the blades. I also live on the ocean and the salt air probably helps eat the blades. It could also just be that I shave once a week. I let my hair grow out until it bothers me and then I shave it all off again.

Regardless blades are way fucking cheaper than the boxed BS they are trying to sell us now. Its like $15 for 4 cartridge refiles isn't it?
Yeah I've read that oxidation on the blade is the #1 cause for them going "bad", not the actual wear & tear from everyday use. Salt-water air just exacerbates this problem. I consider myself lucky that I get just a close of a shave using a $.29 disposable + water as I do with any double-edge rig + badger brush + poraso. I still rock a Merkur every now and then just for the cool factor though :)

same here. I was a Mach3 user for years and when this came along I aid yeah right.

The thing is the best shave u can get. Period.

I would have a hard time believing those could be better than the new Pro Glide it does not fuck around.. but I could be wrong.. I did not think they could make it better but this razor is crazy..

gillette-fusion-proglide-razor-kit.jpg