Double-edged Razors. Are you a man?

Truffles

Apr 20, 2009
Just got my Merkur 180 in the mail. All I can say is wow, I feel fucking dapper using that thing. And with the badger brush and nice soap and blades my face has never been this fucking smooth or irritated since I hit puberty.

Anybody else here rocking a DE blade? What make/model you guys use?

conk180_merkurlonghandledrazor_xdisksm.JPG

Yeah, I ordered my setup after that one thread awhile back and have been wet shaving ever since. I got a Merkur as well.. I also bought a Gold Dollar straight razor but I have yet to use it, as I don't have a strop or stone.

Get the proraso pre-shave cream, it rules. Also the best shave soap I've used so far is the shit in a green box from walgreens. I ordered some bay rum soap but it irritated my skin.

Meant to say "non-irritated" in my first post.

I actually ordered my kit with the Proraso stuff, but they were out so they sent me Omega, which is apparently made by the same company and formula-wise practically identical, although some people claim the Proraso brand has slightly more menthol.

You are right in that it is the best shave soap. I actually did a test before I used the Merkur and tried the Omega soap with just a regular disposable razor from Walgreens. It was night and day. The soap is indeed magical.

How frequently do you change blades? I just started so no need yet but I have a sampler pack of blades including the Japanese Feather's, some 7 O Clocks and some other stuff. Can't wait to try em all.

I would have a hard time believing those could be better than the new Pro Glide it does not fuck around.. but I could be wrong.. I did not think they could make it better but this razor is crazy..

gillette-fusion-proglide-razor-kit.jpg

I would have a hard time believing those could be better than the new Pro Glide it does not fuck around.. but I could be wrong.. I did not think they could make it better but this razor is crazy..

gillette-fusion-proglide-razor-kit.jpg

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjhIy9rgWQU"]YouTube- Broadcast Yourself.[/ame]

So what is the difference between the merkur 180 and the HD?

Also, just a note that while a decent wet shave kit will set you back a Benjamin initially, it quickly pays for itself when you compare blade costs with something like the Fusion. Safety blades are so fucking cheap for the quality.

What blades you guys use?

that video was insanely detailed lol "in the bath and body section adjacent to the ladies cosmetics"

apparently ive been doing it wrong...

So what is the difference between the merkur 180 and the HD?

Also, just a note that while a decent wet shave kit will set you back a Benjamin initially, it quickly pays for itself when you compare blade costs with something like the Fusion. Safety blades are so fucking cheap for the quality.

What blades you guys use?

Started with Merkur blades, switched to Feather and like them a lot more.

I think the 180 is very similar to the HD. The HD is just a shorter and heavier handle. Feels a little better in my hand but not much a functional difference.

edwin-jagger-de89l__41565_zoom.jpg

Edwin Jagger DE89L. Didn’t dig it at first (accustomed to the Mach 3) but once I got some proper shaving cream, it rocked.

Snap - that's what I've got, only mines plain chrome. Yeah, they're weird at first because you're so used to pushing hard and shaving at 100mph with crappy Gillette rubbish. Once you've got used to it, you can't go back. Simply the quality of the blades, the creams and the experience doesn't match, along with the way your skin doesn't feel raw afterwards. (And the fact you don't pay out shit loads of money on new blades.)

I've never tried feathers, I just use cheap Derby Extra, but they're perfect, so don't see any reason to change. I spend less in a year on my new shaving combo than I would in a month using Gillette cartridge crap.

Snap - that's what I've got, only mines plain chrome. Yeah, they're weird at first because you're so used to pushing hard and shaving at 100mph with crappy Gillette rubbish. Once you've got used to it, you can't go back. Simply the quality of the blades, the creams and the experience doesn't match, along with the way your skin doesn't feel raw afterwards. (And the fact you don't pay out shit loads of money on new blades.)

Actually, I tried it and went back.

What I do now is use the soap/brush instead of the foam or gel and then use a gillette orange (fusion?) razor with however many blades they have now. I 'sharpen' the multi blade using this method:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ADaRIqy0Dc"]YouTube- Broadcast Yourself.[/ame]

I may actually go back I try the single blade, but I found that the blade flexed too much - I have a very strong beard. I've also tried the top of the line panasonic electric and didn't like that either (not close enough, took too long).

Merkur HD here. God bless America.

Confused...Merkur's are made in Solingen, Germany. :confused:

Regardless, do you guys like Feather, Wilkenson Sword or Merkur blades? I've been wanting to add a double edge razor to my collection for a long time.

Thanks for the CremoCream suggestion! That stuff sounds great!