Do you put your content in <p> tags?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kyleirwin

Jun 25, 2006
As the topic says, do you put your content within your site inside of <p> and </p> tags? I'm mainly curious for SEO reasons. Do you think it helps any at all for SE's to recognize what's between the two as page copy rather than um... whatever else it might think it is?

Why would you never close them? That's wholly illogical.

I always put content inside of <p> tags. I don't think it necessarily helps with search engines, but think it's the proper way to format content, and therefore use it.

J-Tag said:
Why would you never close them? That's wholly illogical.

I always put content inside of <p> tags. I don't think it necessarily helps with search engines, but think it's the proper way to format content, and therefore use it.

Ok, maybe not never, but rarely. When I learned HTML the tutorial said that closing it was optional and I didn't see many examples of people closing them so that it just sort of what I went with.

WallaceCleaver said:
Ok, maybe not never, but rarely. When I learned HTML the tutorial said that closing it was optional and I didn't see many examples of people closing them so that it just sort of what I went with.

I've never once heard that closing <p> was optional...

Anyway, I usually use one giant <p> for an entire article and separate the paragraphs with <br /><br />'s.

MisterX said:
I've never once heard that closing <p> was optional...

Anyway, I usually use one giant <p> for an entire article and separate the paragraphs with <br /><br />'s.
It was considered optional before standards really came into play. It formats the page how you want it without closing the tag, it just dosen't validate. It's pretty well agreed that you should close them now, that wasen't the case in '97. I lot of people just stick with what they know, and don't bother to stay up with the times, or even realize that they should.

<P>If one is hard coding html, they might not take the time to use these tags.</p>
<p>It gets hell-a tiring after a few paragraphs</p>

More often than not I do. I usually have a div setup for different sections and can control different kinds of fonts and spacing through the <p> tag.

<p>Then maybe one should get a CMS.</p>

One time I was working on someone's code--they actually thought that </b> was the closing tag for paragraphs... my god...

Status
Not open for further replies.