Dedicated Server Host

Status
Not open for further replies.

kyleirwin

Jun 25, 2006
There have been a couple threads about what host you like best, but they've been pretty universal as to which type of hosting. I'm currently happy with shared accounts at hostgator and dreamhost but am curious what kind of luck people have had with them and other hosts when it comes to dedicated servers?

First and foremost, I'm looking for a good price. But if a good price means giving up reliability, then I'd rather pay more for the stable server. I'm alright with 9-5 phone support for little things... but I don't want to have to wait overnight to get my server back up if it goes down.

So that's what I'm looking for... who do you recommend?

Just bought a server from www.server4sale.com

They resell servers from LayeredTech and Softlayer. Softlayer is quickly getting a rep as a great company.

Are you looking for managed support? Or just need the server and that's it?

Ideally, I'd like managed support at first to take care of me if I've got any issues, but then drop it after the first month or so. If that's not an option, I'd probably stick it out with just the server.

Ah, the planet... I overlooked them again, I'll have to go check out their dedicated options.

kyleirwin said:
Ideally, I'd like managed support at first to take care of me if I've got any issues, but then drop it after the first month or so. If that's not an option, I'd probably stick it out with just the server.

Ah, the planet... I overlooked them again, I'll have to go check out their dedicated options.
I would check out http://www.webhostingtalk.com/ and look at people's reviews, problems, etc. There's even a forum for dedicated server deals.

Here's a related post for you: http://www.wickedfire.com/showthread.php?t=702

Get an unmanaged server then, hire one of the management companies to do the initial setup and first month to get you started. You might as well hit them with all your questions that month, if you think you're ready to go on your own, then cancel their service and reactivate when you're in a bind.

Status
Not open for further replies.