Cell Phone

nickCR

Feb 5, 2010
CR
Hey Guys,

Looking around for a new phone. My last phone I got 3 years ago which was a BlackBerry Bold 9000.

My main concern is the ability to use Skype, Call, SMS, Email, Calendar and OTA Sync. Which I think every single modern phone does now with the exception of Skype (fucking BlackBerry).

Also where I live we don't get cool options to buy with a plan for cheap so I gotta buy the phone outright and unlocked (factory unlocked preferred).

The iPhone 4S is at the top of the list, but I dunno. Everyone has an iPhone so I feel like it's just following the crowd.

I've had my eye on Windows Mobile for a while, especially now that they own Skype. Lots of great reviews about the 7+ versions. I know I know it's windows. Nokia also has a new phone coming out called the Lumia 800 which seems like a really nice phone.

Also the Android OS is cool but seems like it still has a ways to go and I don't know if I'm down with Google. They do however have some nice phone options something that Windows Mobile is missing. Which is the top of the line Android phone out there today?

Looking forward to your answers!

oops, nv... saw you have to buy unlocked.

You can't go wrong with iPhone or Android. I have used both for everything you describe and don't have a huge preference one way or the other. The Samsung Galaxy Nexus S wouldn't be a bad choice for a newish Android phone.

Do you like to root/customize your phone? Go with an Android... do you want ease of use with no hassle go with an iPhone 4s.

Off topic but where in CR are you? Im not there, was last year for a bit, some friends are in Jaco though.

Galaxy Note if you don't mind it size. The screen is awesome for reading.

Or Galaxy s2 if you prefer a smaller phone

Samsung Galaxy Nexus S

I'll check it out.

Do you like to root/customize your phone? Go with an Android... do you want ease of use with no hassle go with an iPhone 4s.

2 years ago I would have said ROOT ROOT ROOT but now I don't really give a flying fuck. I just want it to work. It would be kinda cool though if I could do things like access my servers via SSH and all that, but there are apps for the iPhone to let me do that.

Off topic but where in CR are you? Im not there, was last year for a bit, some friends are in Jaco though.

I live in the west part of San Jose. With the new highway it's only about 45 min to Jaco now, but don't go there very often. I prefer Los Suenos much better.

Galaxy Note if you don't mind it size. The screen is awesome for reading.

Or Galaxy s2 if you prefer a smaller phone

Pocket friendly would be nice.

I did look into the Lumia 800 and that phone is really nice but the dual core A4 chip kicks it's ass hands down.

if you want a very good phone, get the iPhone....if you want a very good phone, but with a huge size, get the Samsung Galaxy S II.

I think iPhone it's better because it's smaller, and can do at least same things at Samsung.

if you want a very good phone, get the iPhone....if you want a very good phone, but with a huge size, get the Samsung Galaxy S II.

I think iPhone it's better because it's smaller, and can do at least same things at Samsung.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6h5JSojJN3Y]NextBigThing 60 Final - YouTube[/ame]

Everyone has the iPhone because it's one of the best marketed on the market. Only sucky thing about it is iTunes.

Fixed.

I agree and that's why I have my reservations about getting the iPhone everyone has one and I don't like to follow the crowd I like to have what works best for my needs. Skype is the biggest thing. The Samsung Galaxy SII look fantastic.

I agree and that's why I have my reservations about getting the iPhone everyone has one and I don't like to follow the crowd ...

I've never understood this statement... so getting a Blackberry a few years ago wasn't "following the crowd"? ... is driving a Toyota or Honda "following the crowd" because millions of others do to? I'd rather own an excellent product from a reputable company than worry about being a sheep...

Stick with a big brand like Samsung, HTC, Apple, etc, if you want a reliable phone that just works. My biggest beef with the iPhone is using iTunes and the screen size (too small). Otherwise, it's an excellent phone that will meet all your needs.

I've never understood this statement... so getting a Blackberry a few years ago wasn't "following the crowd"? ... is driving a Toyota or Honda "following the crowd" because millions of others do to? I'd rather own an excellent product from a reputable company than worry about being a sheep...

Stick with a big brand like Samsung, HTC, Apple, etc, if you want a reliable phone that just works. My biggest beef with the iPhone is using iTunes and the screen size (too small). Otherwise, it's an excellent phone that will meet all your needs.

Well I think you took it the wrong way. Just EVERYONE has an iPhone now. It's everywhere. Sure it's a good phone and I'm familiar with the interface as I have had Apple products for a while including an iPad.

I got my BlackBerry because it served my purpose and at the time WAS the ONLY email solution offered by my carrier. I live in a country where they are about 10 years behind everyone else.

They now offer email and all other services through any internet plan. The iPhone 4S is still on the short list along with the Galaxy SII.

Well I think you took it the wrong way. Just EVERYONE has an iPhone now. It's everywhere.

Not sure what country you are in but Apple owns less than 5% of the mobile market worldwide.

phones-111028.png

Allthingsdigital has tons of in-depth reviews on phones
Reviews - AllThingsD

or just browse Youtube for good phone reviews... endless amounts of info.

Everyone has the iPhone because it's one of the best marketed on the market. Only sucky thing about it is iTunes.

Fixed.

Their marketing is amazing, but the phone is great too. Out of the few I've had, it runs the best. I'm not a huge fan of apple products, but with the phone they nailed it.

If you're looking to get a phone that everyone doesn't already have, check out the Lumigon t1 (Home :: Lumigon). Bang & Olufsen ICEpower sound and built like a tank. I'm looking to get one for myself soon.

Picked up a motorola photon 4g a few weeks ago and I dig it. Dual core with 4g is nice with sprint's lax policy on tethering and bandwidth.

Galaxy S2 should be pretty amazing, I had the first one (Epic 4g) and I was pretty impressed, can only imagine how nice this phone is.

The new Razr is looking pretty good too, maybe even better than the new galaxy s2, but I haven't done any research on it..