Buying a TV: Recommendations?

@volknet - that's hella tempting. 73 inches is pretty ridiculous and for the same price I would be buying a 55" LCD. The one turnoff, besides thickness, is this:

Lamp Power: 156 watt

Can be a pain in the you know what to deal with repairs with "moving parts" but I suppose replacing a lamp every couple years isn't THAT painful. Thanks for thrusting another awesome option into the mix when I thought I had NARROWED IT DOWN.

Ugh in a semi-good way.

If you're going for a cheapo, Samsung is probably OK. If you don't mind the cartoon picture of LCD/LED, then that's the way to go. If you're going as a videophile and want a real TV, then the best is the Panasonic Vierra right now. If you can find a Pioneer Kuro kicking around somewhere, they are still the best picture-wise, but aren't manufactured anymore. I would still stick to newer plasmas right now even though the tech is dead, as LCD/LED still hasn't caught up yet to plasma completely (blacks are still shit, and unless you get a colorimeter to fix the retarded brightness, you get screwed on that front too). The samsung plasma is pretty good too (a little cheaper than the Vierra). The state of TVs are sad ever since pioneer died, and the retarded 3D fad started.

Oops, didn't notice you wanted to pay 1200$. Forget this then, lol.

your sure the panasonic is the best? they are only like $1300

i got a samsung from walmart, lol LED, and the blacks are shit.

im not videophile but I could tell.

what is THE BEST 55 inch flat tv out there? whether plasma, lcd, or led

When Pioneer went out of the plasma business, they sold their glass tech with Panasonic.

So a high quality panasonic plasma, for sure.

Go with samsung.

Samsung 46" 1080p LED HDTV** (UN46C5000)
Model:UN46C5000 | Web Code:10140319

Using LED backlighting, Samsung's Series 5 HDTVs deliver sharper colours and enhanced image quality ... More Info

Price:$1,499.99
On Sale:$1,299.99

Just bought this about a month ago, loving it.

Buy 3D TV

Play IMAX Intro on screen
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vNS1D9iQh1w"]YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.[/ame]

Synced up to this on the speakers
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWkJ86JqlPA"]YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.[/ame]

Reading reviews of Samsung's a lot of people DON'T like the vibrancy. They say it looks fake and cartoony as earlier stated. Not sure I REALLY care but man... I'm not going to be able to wrap my head around this decision. Too many options.

Right now I'm leaning towards:
Samsung - 60" Class / 1080p / 120Hz / LED-LCD HDTV - UN60C6300

or

Samsung - 55" Class / 1080p / 120Hz / LED-LCD HDTV - UN55C6500VF

-------------------------------------------------

But part of me thinks why not just go with LCD instead of LED-LCD and save $500 since I'm not likely to be able to tell the difference too much. It's not like I'm a movie guru or hardcore gamer... just want something big, bright and bad ass that fits nicely in the room:

Samsung - 60" Class / 1080p / 120Hz / LCD HDTV - LN60C630

HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

this guys in here that know about tv's specifically say samsung suck and u need a panasonic

my samsung has a shitty time with blacks just like the one dude said. I'd go with the videophiles here.

but they havent responded since I asked them THE BEST tv

the best reviews are always on amazon.com btw for any product..

LED to me sounds like a HYPED up technology that is 59 milliones times cheaper for them to make, therefore its the 'next big thing' but probably total bullshit

hence why my LED tv is bright as fuck but sucks dick and is gay

this guys in here that know about tv's specifically say samsung suck and u need a panasonic

my samsung has a shitty time with blacks just like the one dude said. I'd go with the videophiles here.

but they havent responded since I asked them THE BEST tv

the best reviews are always on amazon.com btw for any product..

i was a manager of the TV department in a circuit city when i was in college for a few years so i like to imagine i'm a videophile. gives you the best picture and smooth motion without any frills. burn in is a thing of the past. i have my 4 hour sessions of bad company 2 and nothing happens except glorious picture and motion, have had it for over 3 years now.

Dell Home has 32" Sharp Aquos LC32D47U 720p LCD HDTV for $320 (or $310 w/ DPA) with free shipping. *Must add to cart to see discounted price*. Next best price on Google Products is $449 shipped. Thanks scottami

If paying with Dell Preferred Account (DPA) you may save an extra 3%, here is how:

1. During checkout, select Credit Card as method of payment
  2. Click "Change Payment Type"
  3. Click "Choose" link under Credit/Debit Card (again)
  4. Under "Save 3% with Dell Preferred Account! (Discount applied atFinal Checkout)" click "Click Here to Take Advantage of this Offer"link
  5. Click "Choose" under "I already have a Dell Preferred Account" if you have one, or sign up for a new one if you don't
  6. Checkout, enjoy your 3% savings
Specs:

• Tuner: NTSC/ATSC/QAM
  • Resolution: 1366x768
  • Viewing Angles: 176 degrees H and 176 degrees V
  • Response Time: 6ms
  • Inputs:
    • 3x HDMI
    • 2x Component
    • 1x Composite
    • 1x VGA (D-Sub)
    • 1x S-Video

Don't go with the 55" if you can afford the 60". Doesn't matter how good the TV is, with a 55" after about 2 weeks you'll be watching it and will wish you'd got the 60".

I'm currently waiting for 3D. Tested a couple out in the shop a while ago and one was average, one was incredible. I was totally sceptical about 3D until I saw what it could do. Nearly bought one on the spot, but want to wait until they are a little bigger and the cost has come down. They are unreasonably expensive at the moment.

your sure the panasonic is the best? they are only like $1300

i got a samsung from walmart, lol LED, and the blacks are shit.

im not videophile but I could tell.

what is THE BEST 55 inch flat tv out there? whether plasma, lcd, or led

Yes Panasonic is the best (besides a Kuro, which despite not being made anymore, is still the best). I'm talking about the current VT20/25. They are way more than 1300$. For a 54", you're looking at over 3K.

A good forum for reviews and general TV chatter: Plasma TVs Forum at AVForums.com. It's in the UK, but people there are pretty hardcore about their TVs. A newer panasonic (made this year) has the best black. The ones from last year seemed to lose black level after a short period of time, but were fixed in the newer ones. Hence why I said a newer plasma.

Plasma doesn't come in 55. You can get a 54" Panasonic G20/25 (older), which is "pretty" good and somewhat cheaper, or if you want to fork over for something newer, there's the VT20/25. Most of the non-3d stuff now is going for a steal really.

So you would essentially recommend I get the 65-inch Panasonic VIERA plasma for $1999 (here) instead of the 60-inch Samsung LED-LCD at $2499 (here) or the 60-inch LCD for $1999 (here)?

I would be happy with any of those three- I'm upgrading from a humongous piece of shit so anything is a monstrous improvement.

Those S2s are lower range ones. The colour isn't as good as the better quality ones (G25 is mid range and VT25 is top range), so I don't know if it would be better than newer gen LED/LCD. The blacks are decent and will definitely be better than LCD. If you're in a dark room though, it will be dimmer than an LED obviously. But as long as it's not in a basement, then that doesn't really matter.

On another note over 60 inch is fucking huge. You need to be prepared for that size, especially if you're going up from say something in the 37 inch range. You really need a larger room for something over 60 inch. Like it can be a serious shocker going to something that is 65 inch in a room that just doesn't support that size of TV. You will sit in front of it and go, "What the fuck did I do".