Buying a TV: Recommendations?

trigatch4

BuildAndEarn
Aug 23, 2006
East Coast
www.eurekadiary.com
Football season has started and my current TV is practically black and white. I know that TVs are always one of the best deals you can grab for the holidays, and I'll probably go for "the real deal" then... but for now hoping to snag something pretty dope for $1.2k or less.

Any recommendations?

I'd suggest following slickdeals.net for a week and seeing some of the TV deals that popup there. I'd also suggest that you save some money for a home theatre system. Watching football in surround sound is like you're actually at the stadium.

In my view LEDs are the best to watch football matches. Take a big screen with excellent sound system. Sit back on your sofa and enjoy the match.

I'm going to go with a Samsung. The colors just seem more vibrant than other brands (same is true with their phones).

Now the options are between:
LCD vs. LED vs. LED-LCD

And sizes:
50 or 55 or 60

I'm not sure I really care about LCD/LED if the only real difference is the thickness of the hardware. It looks like I'll be spending $2k but the jump from 45" or so to 60" is very noticeable.

So if in terms of LCD/LED the only difference is thickness, I'm strongly considering this:
Samsung - 60" Class / 1080p / 120Hz / LCD HDTV - LN60C630

Just got back from BestBuy and want to do a little research on the technology and read reviews but I've narrowed it down significantly.

If you're going to be doing any gaming for really long stretches, LED LCD.

If you're going to be watching movies, etc, plasma, hands down. Best color accuracy and vibrancy, and things like burn in and image retention are a thing of the past unless you sit there with a game interface up for like 10+ hours at a time. And if you're going to get a plasma, panasonic is the only real choice.

If you're going for a cheapo, Samsung is probably OK. If you don't mind the cartoon picture of LCD/LED, then that's the way to go. If you're going as a videophile and want a real TV, then the best is the Panasonic Vierra right now. If you can find a Pioneer Kuro kicking around somewhere, they are still the best picture-wise, but aren't manufactured anymore. I would still stick to newer plasmas right now even though the tech is dead, as LCD/LED still hasn't caught up yet to plasma completely (blacks are still shit, and unless you get a colorimeter to fix the retarded brightness, you get screwed on that front too). The samsung plasma is pretty good too (a little cheaper than the Vierra). The state of TVs are sad ever since pioneer died, and the retarded 3D fad started.

Oops, didn't notice you wanted to pay 1200$. Forget this then, lol.

Not a big gamer. More for TV/Movies. Plasmas seem cheaper and it seems like their attraction has died down compared to the newer versions of LED & LCD technology. Hadn't really even entertained plasma but maybe I should. Hmm.

I hear refurb high-end TVs are great.

My friend worked in a Samsung warehouse over the summer and said that most TVs are marked refurb arbitrarily with low risk of getting any TV that was a real former "dud".

Many refurbs just have a defect off the work-in-progress inventory and get sifted through a refurbished shop before they're salable. If they're repaired outside of the manufacturing house, then they're by default marked "refurb". Often just an accounting issue to push volume outside of the manuf cycle.

I have a Panasonic plasma and the picture is way better IMO than my friend's Samsung LCD. He actually said so also.

If you go LCD/LED, you should get 120hz for watching action and sports...less blur. Don't pay extra for 240hz as it's a marketing gimmick.

@Solarus - after looking, I decided I should probably up my budget to $2,000 since the 55 or 60 inch units look SOOO much better than the 45 or 50s IMO. That small increase seems to make a big difference visually for some reason.