Best Way To Monetize Photography?

From the thumbnails, your work is clearly good enough for stock. I'd suggest going that route for the quickest access to cash. The shortest path to money in photography is through art directors and not end consumers so I would focus on them.

Here's some thumbnail samples I threw together,.. originals are all approx . 4200x2800

7c8204e5.jpg

Flicks look pretty cool.. GL bruddah.

Flicks look pretty cool.. GL bruddah.

Thank you!, considering no one outside my family and a handful of friends has seen my any of it.

I don't have any wallpapers ready, WhatMagic.

With various things mentioned, I'll research further and decide on an implementation. Thanks all, I knew there was a reason I asked this here. :)

I'd go down the stock photo route, it's the easiest option but it works best for generic style photos.

I have a friend in a similar situation and we were just discussing this a while ago, but since i don't have any experience with this i couldn't really give him any advice..

But here i see some very good advice and i will have to tell him about this. OP, if you find anything good, please post it for the rest of us here as well :)

Zimok, I am looking for something as well to do online. In the past I have printed the best pics on canvas and sold them in friends stores and restaurants. Also look into any community art centers, most will want a percentage, 25-30% which is understandable. Anything more starts to be too high.

Keep us updated and I will let you know if I find anything else that works.

Nice pics. This prompted me to check my folders. 17,944 files.

I think if 300 of those are good I'll be doing back flips.

I have done some stock photography sites with some of my pics and to be completely honest you really don't get that much from them. I would go a route where you create a brand around them and sell shit from your site.

Maybe do something like nice Picture Frames, Canvas Printing, etc?

Your shots are great. Would love to see more.

Stock photography can be rather lucrative. Some of the images on iStock have been downloaded several thousands of times each and some of the bigger contributors there have become rather wealthy.

Unfortunately iStock (Getty) have the most abysmal royalties in the game, only 25%-40% if you sell exclusively with them and you only hit 40% if you sell 1.2 million! credits in a year, which is ridiculous. It's shocking how little they pay.

Some of the others have higher commissions like Dreamstime (60%), 123rf (50%), Fotalia (20%-63%), Depositphotos (40%-60%) but if I were you I might look into the new Envato stock site Photodune (the same people that run Themeforest). Their commission rate starts at 50% and goes up to 70% once you've sold $70k worth of images (or themes, graphics, 3d models, code, etc. etc.). They've got the most generous commission rates in the business and a pretty solid community. You have to decide whether you want to sell on all the sites for lower commissions or exclusively somewhere for higher, and if you sell exclusively on say iStock, will you get more exposure and sell more albeit for less per image, than one of the other sites at higher commissions.

Whatever you decide, good luck!

Maybe sell your services rather than random images? My brother's fiance does that - takes pictures for couples/families/events.

Besides stock photo sites there are also sites more geared towards people that are looking for good pics to frame and hang.

Something else comes to mind but it's a long-shot. Contact companies that sell calendars or other types of prints. Set up an online portfolio and email them that.

Nice pics. This prompted me to check my folders. 17,944 files.

I think if 300 of those are good I'll be doing back flips.

I have done some stock photography sites with some of my pics and to be completely honest you really don't get that much from them. I would go a route where you create a brand around them and sell shit from your site.

Maybe do something like nice Picture Frames, Canvas Printing, etc?

You definitely have some options to consider if you have that many.
I sort by year/lightroom/developed pics and then a favorites which contains copies. Honestly judge your photo's, not why you feel their special(no one cares that you hiked three miles to get on top of the mountain) but rather their overall aesthetic value.

Do you do any macro photography? Definitely consider it if you don't, it's fun as hell. I'll sometimes be walking in the forest and end up spending a half hour in a little 30ft spot doing macro shots, considering 1 INCH is a full picture it's a whole different world every time. This the macro lens I picked up Tamron 90mm f/2.8 SP AF Di Macro Lens for Nikon AF AF272NII-700

Microstock Photography: How to Make Money from Your Digital Images Free Download - Freshwap

But, seriously, we have a nearby photographer who's not THAT good. His photos are average at best, but he's a marketing wizard as he has photos in hospitals, businesses all over town. They are mainly images from the local area and state, but he's making a killing. He has an online store that's pretty sad and a retail store.

This is a great idea! Dress to impress and go speak to major businesses in person with a portfolio book they can pick from and take orders on the spot.

Local kijiji/craigslist would be great as well. Not to mention every business these days are an e-mail away. Thanks for mentioning this!

Your shots are great. Would love to see more.

Stock photography can be rather lucrative. Some of the images on iStock have been downloaded several thousands of times each and some of the bigger contributors there have become rather wealthy.

Unfortunately iStock (Getty) have the most abysmal royalties in the game, only 25%-40% if you sell exclusively with them and you only hit 40% if you sell 1.2 million! credits in a year, which is ridiculous. It's shocking how little they pay.

Some of the others have higher commissions like Dreamstime (60%), 123rf (50%), Fotalia (20%-63%), Depositphotos (40%-60%) but if I were you I might look into the new Envato stock site Photodune (the same people that run Themeforest). Their commission rate starts at 50% and goes up to 70% once you've sold $70k worth of images (or themes, graphics, 3d models, code, etc. etc.). They've got the most generous commission rates in the business and a pretty solid community. You have to decide whether you want to sell on all the sites for lower commissions or exclusively somewhere for higher, and if you sell exclusively on say iStock, will you get more exposure and sell more albeit for less per image, than one of the other sites at higher commissions.

Whatever you decide, good luck!

I probably won't be going the stock route, although like mentioned it would be the quickest, and maybe I'm looking at it the wrong way, but I find it limiting to be a pea in a pod rather than a light unto yourself. I can't believe there's none that are 90% royalty to the photographer, sure they provide a good service but some of those percentages are laughable. Just a guess, but is their ToS worded where once you upload something to them you're fucked(can never tell them to take them down) for life as well?

Maybe sell your services rather than random images? My brother's fiance does that - takes pictures for couples/families/events.

Besides stock photo sites there are also sites more geared towards people that are looking for good pics to frame and hang.

Something else comes to mind but it's a long-shot. Contact companies that sell calendars or other types of prints. Set up an online portfolio and email them that.

Maybe contracting out services or selling leads to other photographers so the business could scale up, the service area wouldn't be for me personally.

Physical products would be a nice addition to a print site, would definitely want to establish myself before making any orders though. Thanks for the tips Jeremy!

zimok, if you want to get high quality prints fast and cheap go to blue cube imaging. I ordered prints on night about midnight and they shipped by 7am. Very good quality and a 12x16 is under ten bucks. He puts sales on his FB page fairly regularly. He doesn't have much of a website, but he's got good feedback on modelmayhem.

I've seen a few sites like this:

jk7tyg.png

Click the thumb to see the bigger pic (and more monetization options?) No idea how effective or what kind of CTR it would have tho.

Hey zimok, did you ever make any progress with this, or look into it further? Curious because it's something I've been thinking about as well.

Hey zimok, did you ever make any progress with this, or look into it further? Curious because it's something I've been thinking about as well.

I took the 'build a brand' route with fotomoto as middle man to handle the overhead of printing/shipping.