Best Internet Connection in Rural Areas

craigmc

Mar 13, 2010
Gump Town
I just bought a place on 9 acres outside the cable companies area. What are my best options for the fastest hook up? I know I can get DSL but I'm hoping there is something better.

Ideas?

DSL is probably your best option.

My last DSL connection was faster than my current cable, it was through a local phone company in a small town offering VDSL.

Your screwed. Check if LTE is available in your area and tether from your phone ( or some mobile hotspot)

DSL will be best and cheapest solution

Satellite dish is still a terrible option. Not only are there terrible speeds but there are limits in how much you can download each day, and those limits are very low.

If you are only a few miles/blocks away from the nearest cable company line you can get an estimate for how much money you'd have to pay to get them to run a line to your house. This can be expensive, but if you're ballin it wont matter.

I have a satellite internet connection at home. Only option as DSL and cable are not available in my area. The download speed is around 17Mbps and upload is around 2Mbps. My only issue is with the data caps. I pay around $120.00 per month for 25GB of usage. This is currently their highest package. Once I hit the cap download speed is reduced to .5 Mbps. I would do anything for another option but I knew what I was in for when I decided to move to the sticks.

I have a satellite internet connection at home. Only option as DSL and cable are not available in my area. The download speed is around 17Mbps and upload is around 2Mbps. My only issue is with the data caps. I pay around $120.00 per month for 25GB of usage. This is currently their highest package. Once I hit the cap download speed is reduced to .5 Mbps. I would do anything for another option but I knew what I was in for when I decided to move to the sticks.

17Mbps isn't anything to scoff at but that data cap sucks.

Fiber>Cable>ADSL2+>Satellite>ADSL1 imo

See if your neighbors have a decent connection, it might be worth seeing if you can get some wifi through them?

Hi Craig,
If you're looking for best internet connection in rural areas, you should see if you can get google.com
I use google.com every day. I find it to be best internet connection in rural areas anyone can use.
Why use google.com when there are so many other internet connection in rural areas you might ask? The answer is simple: google.com is the fastest and most reliable internet connection in rural areas you can make with your personal computer. In fact, google.com makes it easier for you to connect with other internet connection in rural areas, did you know that?
I hope this helps. Good luck with your search.

DISCLAIMER: I am not affiliated with google.com I just find that they are such a good internet connection in rural areas that I can't help but recommend google.com to all of my friends.

Could you just buy the package multiple times? Or is it a structural limit?

I live in a rural area and it took me literally 10+ years before I could get anything other than dial up. Up until a year ago I was tethering with my phone, and now I have DSL. Be glad you can get DSL

Many thanks to all of you that replied. I still have a month before I move to the sticks. This gives me alot of insight on what to expect.

You guy's are the greatest!

Satellite/Radio is probably your best bet. It can be expensive though.

The guy can get DSL, which is hardly fucking dial up, and you idiots are making suggestions like this ^^^

You can get 25mb DSL from the phone company in Vancouver. I've got 10mb DSL here, with 50ms pings, and I can download a movie in about 10 minutes.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with DSL.

The guy can get DSL, which is hardly fucking dial up, and you idiots are making suggestions like this ^^^

You can get 25mb DSL from the phone company in Vancouver. I've got 10mb DSL here, with 50ms pings, and I can download a movie in about 10 minutes.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with DSL.

I agree... I had 45Mb DSL connection before near a small rural/exurb town in MN.