Baby Boomers Quitting Facebook

Status
Not open for further replies.

GrindHard

Banned
Apr 11, 2009
670
13
0
Chitown
Facebook may be losing ground among its older users, according to Inside Facebook.

Over the past few months, baby boomers joined the popular social networking site in droves, creating some inter-generational tensions in the process. From February and March, though, to April and May, that trend seems to have reversed. According to data that Facebook supplies to its advertisers, the 55-to-65-year-old age group's activity has drastically declined over the past couple months (by 651,080, to be exact), making it the only demographic to experience an overall drop in numbers.

The data is not accompanied by any reasons why baby boomers are quitting, but Inside Facebook wonders if the over-55 set just hasn't figured out how to use the real-time updates that were implemented on social network's recent facelift. Then again, it could be all the phishing scams that have surfaced on the service lately. We think it might just be because half the time we try to send messages on social network, we get an error message telling us to log in again (very annoying), or any of a myriad of other reasons to quit Facebook.
While their parents seem to be fleeing Facebook, 18-to-25-year olds are spending more time on the site than ever. Since the end of March, nearly 2 million new members have joined up in that age bracket. The root of these developing Facebook trends? We'd bet that those Gen Y-ers, finding themselves unemployed and out of school, are aiming to waste some time and distract themselves. Meanwhile, we'd guess that their parents, in light of their companies' tightening belts, are laying off the during-office-hours browsing.
Source: Baby Boomers Quitting Facebook
 


I've always found the older age groups to be more susceptible to advertising on facebook and they're more likely to believe whatever you write. Maybe they all got tired of being ripped off.
 
No, they bled to death from improper use of the Slap-Chop.
Most likely trying to make other people "love their nuts" just like Vince.
 
My mom signed on to face book about a month ago. I signed off about a month ago.

Correlation perhaps does equal causation in this instance.
 
I think if theres one social media model that boomers and elders are going to accept long term,its facebook.
 
My stepfather (age 62) absolutely hates Facebook and loves Myspace. He finds it easier to use. I'm just sayin...

interesting. I used to be a HUGE myspace user and from a staying in touch and actual usefulness standpoint I think facebook wins hands down. I guess to each their own though.
 
For the last month or two, my news feed has only seen surveys (filled out by the older demographic in my friend's list) and refrains like "Remember when we used to call it facecrack? Yeah, twitter owns facebook now" from everyone else.

Thankfully, I don't think my mother will ever sign up for Facebook.
 
I think with Myspaces changes that it is much better than facebook. It allows you to control what is being said about you as well and not let random assholes tag pictures that aren't even you and say they are you etc. Facebook interlinks too much information about you where myspace just creates a place for you to message back and forth and post pictures, etc. I think myspace is coming back from what I have seen as I know MANY people who are deleting their facebook accounts.
 
I think with Myspaces changes that it is much better than facebook. It allows you to control what is being said about you as well and not let random assholes tag pictures that aren't even you and say they are you etc. Facebook interlinks too much information about you where myspace just creates a place for you to message back and forth and post pictures, etc. I think myspace is coming back from what I have seen as I know MANY people who are deleting their facebook accounts.

Why would they delete accounts? Sounds like you may spend a bit too much time on the social aspect of these sites, making you oblivious to seeing the bigger picture.

I've always considered Myspace as something for the younger crowd and Facebook's clean, professional feel appealing to older audiences.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.