Asking for a Review - Where Did I go Wrong?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The first page looked terrible. I had _no_ idea what to click. I opened it, thought it was a blog post and closed it.

The second one is much better. Only thing is you should prob take out the "need a CC" line, or make it far less prominent. Also, I didn't really wanna read all the features. You should highlight/bold some of the best features or certain words in the description.

But this second page is much better. GJ. Some things I'd advise (but I'm a newb) is to make the area around the middle of the page.. prettier. Search google for your keywords and see what others are using for their LP.

Maybe have an image BG, like sky or grass like the offer page. It shouldn't be prominent, but should be pleasing on the eyes.. The orange color doesn't go with anything in the middle.

peace

the offer you are promoting has a pre-made landing page for you to use, look at "advanced links"

It's not the best but at least look at that to get an idea of what a landing page should look like

Also, don't use "free trial" in your ppc ad title or copy. It lets people know that there is cost involved (eventually) and they may not click. Some may argue that you will get junk clicks but if you don't get them to your landing page, you have zero chance of selling to them

Attachments

• merchant-landing-page.jpg
    merchant-landing-page.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 140
you didnt even SEE the original, your looking at an updated version. The original was pathetic.
I think he was looking at the original, the new one isn't wordpress based.

Bluebudha, thanks, I've implemented your suggestions!

And Gumby I did try that one a while ago, just to see what would happen with it, and their pre-made page had a 5% CTR (after 30 clicks) so I decided to go with my own.

And Gumby I did try that one a while ago, just to see what would happen with it, and their pre-made page had a 5% CTR (after 30 clicks) so I decided to go with my own.

%5 > 0%

and 30 clicks is nothing, you can't tell anything from 30 clicks. There is just as good a chance that your ads are the reason for the low CTR.

The least you could do is look at that page to see what a neat, well organized LP looks like. It's definately not a great LP and I personally wouldn't use it but it's far better than anything you are doing on your own.

They also have a zip submit in the advanced links, try creating a simple landing page around that. Don't mention anything about a free trial on your LP, just concentrate on getting them to the offer and let the merchant do the selling.

As you gain experience, you can do more pre-selling on your LPs but just concentrate on getting them to the offer for now.

Start looking at your competitors landing pages for ideas, hell start looking at landing pages in other niches. You need to learn the difference between a ppc landing page and a regular webpage.

You also need to work more of your keywords into your ads, and include some action words (download, browse, find, search)

Hiking Trail Maps - Free Trial
Over 30000 High Resolution Maps, Guides, Topo Maps, Directions & More.
unvexed.com

should be something like

Hiking Trail Maps
Download High Resolution Maps, Guides, Topo Maps, Directions & More.
unvexed.com/hiking-trail-maps.html

There's far too much to ppc and landing pages to cover in this thread. Its good that you are trying, but maybe you need to take a step back and try to learn a little more before diving into ppc. You can lose a lot of money if you aren't careful.

if its the same link then its still wordpress

Gumby, I'm not going to quote your entire post for the sake of not making people scroll down, but thank you, I really do appreciate the constructive criticism. My old crappy LP was getting CTRs of around 30%, which is why I saw a few clicks at 5% and went "ok, scrap that".

I'll definitely do an LP with the zip submit tonight, on top of this new one that I made. I really appreciate all of the help and advice!

The link has always gone to wordpress... So yes what I saw was wordpress and still is if I look now... If you have another version post it.

I'd have to see the whole picture to see the breakdown but I'm not so sure I like that offer - why did you choose it?

Did it have a high epc in CJ?

You need the customer to take out their credit card and you're only getting paid $7.50????

And if you have a low ctr you're probably overpaying for traffic...

Make sure in your ad copy you always try to have:

1) the biggest benifit(s)
2) a call to action

The ad you shared has neither.

I would try something like this:

[Keyword]
Easy to Understand Hiking Trail Maps.
Special Free Trial Offer - Start Now!

I use Wordpress for landing pages all the time - works good because it's easy to have other content (and seo benefits) along with a nice landing page.

You can make "page" templates that look totally different from the rest of your blog - do some googling and you will figure it out.

Its getting better. A couple obvious things I still see.

1 I think all your images should link to the offer (some people are click happy) My instinct was to try and click the pond which isn't a link
2 Get rid of that nasty looking link and at least use a php redirect on the same domain the site is hosted on. Doesn't look as shady.

I am no expert but thats my 2 cents. Good luck

Ok, will do... for now I'm going to stay away from wordpress after this advice, just until I get to be a lot better at landing pages, but I will keep that in mind for the future!

Just above your original post I posted a link to my second non-wordpress verision... Here it is

Ok I see, didn't notice you chaged links before. The 2nd one is better and heading in the right direction but I would still work on your graphics (especially your call to action) and try to use the colors (exact green) that is on the advertisers landing page.

Layout Grid .... again

OK, props for trying.

Take a minute and read up on layout grids:
Grid (page layout - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)
Grid-based Layout*- Interaction Design Pattern Library - Welie.com

Now on to your page:

The original:
trailhelp01.jpg

We can see the lines here:
trailhelp02.jpg

Quite a mess, huh?

What to do, what to do.

First steps:
- Make the content as wide as the logo / banner.
- Move the text over
- move the images down, so they start with the text

See here:
trailhelp03.jpg

and the lines (muuuch better now):
trailhelp04.jpg

Now we add a green bar, like on the merchant's page (I actually stole it right there):

trailhelp05.jpg

You can have it, too:
green_bar.gif

I then made a button using the same green and this online tool
glassy buttons

Now we have a neat call to action:

trailhelp06.jpg

Here is the buttton, even:
button.jpg

more things to do:
- get rid of the border around the top image.
- maybe add a green bar at the bottom as well.
- Add some more pages that google likes "Contact", "About us", etc..

::emp::

Reactions: bam bam
good optimize emp :)

but how do you mean getting rid of the border around top image? do you mean logo or "14 day trial" image?

@bambam
Thanks. And thanks for the link repair.

@badar
Sorry, I meant the "14 day trial" image.

As for the optimization, it always amazes me how closely some people are to get something good and then just give up.

@hookshot
PLEASE do this, don't be too lazy.

::emp::

Reactions: spock49
Status
Not open for further replies.