Anyone have experience cold calling local businesses?

I have done cold calling, and your best bet is getting an appointment with the decision maker rather than trying to do a hard sell on the phone. Try offering your services that are spending money at least on advertising, because if they are not spending money on something they are less likely to spend money on your services.

I sold cars at new car dealerships for a couple of years for the selling experience. So I've done phone sales. I've also cold called on B2B for various businesses I've owned. I've read all kinds of sales books, and have been through and was a certified Honda salesmen, I also went through the Joe Verde Group training both live seminars and All their online training. The latter dozens of times, so this is not off the top of my head. And as you know, I'm also a client of yours.

I really think a script is the shit. But you have to rehearse it, you have to record it and listen to how you sound. Uhs, ums and other verbal stumbles that we make in conversation have to be eliminated. Generally we are Not even aware of this and until we listen to our own recording. And of course you have to have a goal in mind --- are you trying to make a sale with one call (very difficult) or are you looking for qualified leads you can send more email info to and then follow up on with a phone Appointment in a few days( I urge this path).

Never ask a prospect a question he doesn't know the answer to. Ask "either or" questions -- 'would you prefer your new website to be flashy? or Do you think something more serene would help you make more money?' You have to supply the answers for them -- trust me, this shit works like crazy. Just don't be too obvious about it or rather overuse it. Also use this approach to schedule a follow up call: "Would you rather I call you next Tuesday in the morning or is the afternoon better for you."

Generally, using the expression what do you think about so and so is best when talking to men; using how do you feel about so and so is best wih women.

You face another huge obstacle: you are immersed in the internet, you talk the talk you walk the walk. The overwhelming majority of your potential clients do not. They wouldn't know a SERP from their ass. They never heard of php and they have no clue that google uses an algo to fetch returns. Do not use geekish terminology at all. You'll lose them. I'm not saying to dumb it down I'm saying you have to speak in layman's terms. of course if you do hit on that 1 in hundred thousand that knows something well then it'd be okay -- but I'd thread easily here.

If it was me I would not even bother with someone that's been in business for years and has no website. I'd find out who recently incorporated and go after them.

Thanks for the responses so far. It seems I have a bit to think about now. I definitely want to have some kind of unique angle instead of just trying to sell them on a website right off the bat.

As far as the calling itself, I may use my friend. She just graduated college with a degree in marketing and can't find a job. If I give her a % per sale, she could make some coin and I could focus on other things while I build up some clients. I also know that a girl with a nice pleasant voice would convert better than a deep guy's voice.

I heard your voice it's fine. But someone else would keep you free to do what you do.

The main thing here is you have to believe it's in their best interest to hire you for their website.

Personally, I don't think they could go wrong hiring you.

Good luck Jason :)

In a past life I made a lot of cold calls trying to drum up business. In my experience, the most important thing you can do is to tell them what benefits they will receive if they hire/use your service.

i.e. I worked as fundraiser. I started off my pitch by saying that for a small tax-deductible donation that they could get their name out there and earn a lot of positive good will in the local community.

awesomeness

Agree with everything SimonD said.

Focus on the benefits that the customer will receive, not the technical details of what you are going to do.

I own a call center and have been involved in telemarketing for years, couldn't even tell you how many thousands, tens of thousands of calls I've made.

Hit me up on aim, I'll give you a few secrets of the pros. In addition, we could even potentially do calls for you.

Hey guys, thanks again for all the great advice. I am in the middle of a move right now, but as soon as I get settled into the new place I'm going to be starting this up.