Anyone have a moped?

chatmasta

Jan 7, 2007
NYC
I'll be working in San Francisco this summer and I want to buy a moped (technically, according to California law, I want to buy a "motor-driven cycle") to get around the city.

Not totally sure what to buy...I'm looking at something like this: 150cc Gas Scooter

Curious to hear any of your thoughts...

Pink_scooter.jpg

Vespas are a bit out of my price range since I just want this for three months to commute from my apartment to the train station.

@medicalhumor... yeah that's about what I'm going for ;)

I don't know about Cali, but in NJ Scooters are considered Motorcycles. When I was 16 I tried really hard to get this scooter a friend of ours had, to register it as a moped but they wouldn't allow it. The Moped had to be less than 50cc and have pedals too (like the one jonas33h posted). Not that it would really matter for you, you could just get a motorcycle license.

I don't know about Cali, but in NJ Scooters are considered Motorcycles. When I was 16 I tried really hard to get this scooter a friend of ours had, to register it as a moped but they wouldn't allow it. The Moped had to be less than 50cc and have pedals too (like the one jonas33h posted). Not that it would really matter for you, you could just get a motorcycle license.

Yeah that's how it is in california...I'm getting a motorcycle license. You just need to take a three day course.

Bummer, here you can drive a 50cc or less without a special license.

If you need a motorcycle permit anyway, why not just by full bike? Nothing like it!

Mopeds are gay. You're going to work in San Francisco. Obama now supports gay marriage. And this is a gay webmaster forum. So much gaiety it blows my mind.

Bro if you're only getting it for 3 months why not buy a used one? It would probably cost half the price or even a third of the price. In the UK you can find a decent used 150-250cc one for ~£400. And bear in mind everything is always more expensive here.

what you linked to is a scooter, which requires a license. A moped in cali is a bicycle with a motor, IE you can pedal if the motor isn't running. Doesn't require a license, is a different thing completely