Anyone ever done stand up comedy at an open mic night?

MyOwnDemon

Face Rocker
Jan 28, 2007
Iowa
www.sitestomp.com
In a few weeks, there's an open mic night at one of the comedy clubs around here and a few of my friends decided it would be funny if we all participated.

So, while my friends are all brushing up on their routines - I'm sitting here thinking "WTF did I get myself into?"

I don't expect to get on stage and be whisked away to hollywood by a talent agent who thinks I'm the next carlin or chapelle, but I just don't want to get up there and completely bomb. I know it's just for fun but I would still like to get a few genuine laughs.

Anyone have any tips or advice? Better yet, has anyone actually done a comedy open mic? I'm terrified here!

A friend of mine does it off and on. He actively promotes it to all of his friends for weeks in advance by making it an "Event" on Facebook, making sure that it's a "party" like atmosphere.

He always has 40+ friends, family, etc. there cheering him on, laughing, and drinking (which means more laughter).

The club owner loves him even though he's not especially funny (he is getting better, though) and that helps in getting him constant invites back, not just for open mic nights but other "local comedians" nights and stuff like that as well.

Even if you bomb, you did something that 99%+ people are scared shitless to do. You win either way. Go for it.

Watch a lot of standup. You can probably tell which ones are bad and which ones are good. Take not of the mannerisms, delivery, and reaction of the good comics.

you should start thinking of a couple of topics you want to get into, start strong with a bad-mouth-nuts-attitude kind of rant, but keep it focused to one thing (personally I think you can bitch about Google to start with... how everyone loves them and in the same time to screw everyone).
start thinking and write down the ideas, 5-6 topics will probably do, you should be able to connect them - this way you will remember the routine easily.
and i don't know about you but a little alcohol goes a long way (just before the stand up), or drugs, or both, just get comfortable...

Go watch "I Am Comic" and "Comedians of Comedy" those are 2 excellent stand up comedy documentaries that will probably help you big time.

These are both good. Also Marc Maron's WTF podcast is amazing too.

WTF with Marc Maron Podcast

Marc Maron is a very intelligent, old school stand up comic that interviews other standup comics. Lots of insight to how standup works.

I've played around with the idea of going an open mic too. I don't think I have the balls. I would be much more encouraged with a few other friends doing it with me. All my friends suck though. You got to post a video after you do it Demon. I would love to see it.

No matter how well or poorly you feel like you're doing, always exude confidence. It's sort of like you're trying to bang the whole audience.

These are both good. Also Marc Maron's WTF podcast is amazing too.

WTF with Marc Maron Podcast

Marc Maron is a very intelligent, old school stand up comic that interviews other standup comics. Lots of insight to how standup works.

I've played around with the idea of going an open mic too. I don't think I have the balls. I would be much more encouraged with a few other friends doing it with me. All my friends suck though. You got to post a video after you do it Demon. I would love to see it.

I totally forgot about this guy, cool link.

Also forgot to mention a good book about stand up as well called Comic Insights - The Art of Stand Up Comedy, good book with great interviews.

No matter how well or poorly you feel like you're doing, always exude confidence. It's sort of like you're trying to bang the whole audience.

I came to say this. People tend to be a lot more lenient than you think, especially at some dive where everyone is drunk. In other words, it's not like your walking out to "America's Got Talent" or some shit.

Also, everyone loves to hear about a "being too high" trip.

I was kicking the idea around for the first time this weekend. I met a guy who's a "pro" and basically doing gigs at divebars around the country. He was a nice guy, I told him I'd catch his act this week...

And then he tried to be funny. And he wasn't.

Regardless, I think it'd be fun to do. Especially if you have friends and family in the crowd, even better if 2-4 friends are all doing it for the first time.

I'd personally want 2-weeks lead time to write up an act and practice it. I'd still be pretty terrified, but I think it'd be fun. Let me know how it goes, I think I may do it myself soon.

I would have loved to do what Andy Kaufman did where he stuck a guy in the audience to heckle him.

Wow, this brought back a memory I hadn't thought of in years...When I was in college, I commuted 70 miles back and forth between St. Louis and a tiny Illinois town where I lived. One night on my way home, I stopped off at a truck stop for a snack and some people were talking about a place nearby where you can do standup. For some odd reason I decided that because it sounded totally terrifying, I should try it. So I did. Once.

Anyway, you've already gone against what would have been my first piece of advice - do it totally anonymously if at all possible. Give them a fake name, wear wig, go somewhere 100 miles from home...it's just easier when you don't have to think about bombing in front of your friends and family :)

Beyond that, I'd say...

-Get to know your audience. Every club is different, even within a single city. The kind of jokes that would work at a Goldman Sachs luncheon will get you booed off the stage (if not beaten to a bloody pulp) at a working class bar. If you can check the place out on the same night of the week you'll be performing, that's ideal. You'll see what kind of topics and attitudes get laughs and what totally bombs.

-Don't blindly go out and watch a bunch of standup. Watch the comedians whose style is closest to what you think you could pull off. Don't spend all your time watching physical comedians if you're the kind of person who intends to rely more on clever wordplay and turns of phrase.

-Pick a theme or two for your material. For whatever reason, most people perform better on creative tasks when there are a few constraints in place.

-Write way more material than you need. Make up at least 5x more material than you think you'll need. Eliminate the less-funny stuff and get rid of anything where you tend to trip up on the delivery. Most "real" comics would eliminate a lot of the un-funny stuff over the course of several performances at low-stakes venues, but if you're only doing it once, you'll have to do the best you can to self-edit.

-Practicing in the mirror is good, and recording yourself a few times is better. When you get nervous, you tend to do weird things with your body or hands...if you can be aware of what you want your posture, gestures, etc. to be like in advance, it will help you to avoid being the guy who distracts everyone by doing the same repetitive hand thing over and over.

-Have a plan for when you say unfunny things or people heckle you. Like anything else, anyone who has lots of successes will almost definitely have tons of failures, too. When you practice, you'll fall into a routine where you kind of pause where you think people will laugh - but it's a good idea to practice the "what if they don't laugh" scenario for each punchline, too. You'll be able to move to the next bit a lot more smoothly.

-I would definitely recommend picking up a book or two, if for no other reason than the fact that it will make you more familiar with the "process" and help your mind get used to the idea.

That's really all I can think of. It was way too much stress and effort for me to want to do it on a regular basis, but doing it once was actually very cool (once it was over). You'll be glad you did it. And before anyone asks...No, I didn't do any material on periods, weight loss or bad boyfriends.

while drinking alcohol may make you more comfortable, it will cloud your judgement, and make it more difficult for you to adjust to the crowd. avoid it.

have several "out" jokes that you can use to re-center your routine if it goes off course (bombs), these should be your A- material, solid stuff that you believe in, having a recovery plan is important.

either be yourself, or be a character, but sell it 100% regardless.