Any of you ever want a partner? But never satisfied with whats around you?

LegitAM

WF Premium Member
Apr 7, 2010
This is a serious thread, not some retarded newb thread or an indian trying to scam you...

for some time i've been really feeling I would like a partner to compliment my skils/idea/budget. I do this fulltime while going through college (and will be once i graduate as well), however I know I could still see a tremendous improvement with the right person.

I've got guys I chat with on skype quite a bit and bounce stuff around with, but no actual "partners".

Where did you find your partner?
What criteria did you use to settle on them?
How did you reach out to a partner?
Do you feel a partner was a good or bad move?

Thanks guys, much appreciate and really would like some good content in here :)

Please indians and people don't PM me saying you'll be my partner... unless you're someone respected interested in just getting some networking done.

Frankly, you don't seem like great partner material. Anyone looking to partner with you is going to have the same deficiency that you have; lack of capital.

Anyone who has capital, and a lick of sense, can rent the skills that you bring to the table and keep all of the profits.

Every partnership has a strong partner and a week one. Take Woz/Jobs for instance; Woz is brilliant, but without a type a faggot like Jobs kicking ass and throwing hissy fits, the partnership wouldn't have worked out.

Are you the guy who is retardedly focused or the one who is retardedly brilliant? Figuring this type of thing out will help you determine the type of partner that you need to find for yourself.

Additionally, if you find that your relationships aren't as productive as you'd like, try taking a look at the common element in all of these relationships. That element would be you.

Before you even think of partnering with someone you should have a game-plan that is so anal retentively focused that even if your partner fucks up on 80% of their tasks, you're still going to make some bread on the 20% that they deliver.

Long story short; partnerships are really about managing people. Learn that skill and you'll wonder why you ever thought giving half of your money to someone was a good idea.

BTW you've probably alienated a bunch of Indians who make a fuck of a lot more money than you do. Choose your words better.

Frankly, you don't seem like great partner material. Anyone looking to partner with you is going to have the same deficiency that you have; lack of capital.

Anyone who has capital, and a lick of sense, can rent the skills that you bring to the table and keep all of the profits.

Every partnership has a strong partner and a week one. Take Woz/Jobs for instance; Woz is brilliant, but without a type a faggot like Jobs kicking ass and throwing hissy fits, the partnership wouldn't have worked out.

Are you the guy who is retardedly focused or the one who is retardedly brilliant? Figuring this type of thing out will help you determine the type of partner that you need to find for yourself.

Additionally, if you find that your relationships aren't as productive as you'd like, try taking a look at the common element in all of these relationships. That element would be you.

Before you even think of partnering with someone you should have a game-plan that is so anal retentively focused that even if your partner fucks up on 80% of their tasks, you're still going to make some bread on the 20% that they deliver.

Long story short; partnerships are really about managing people. Learn that skill and you'll wonder why you ever thought giving half of your money to someone was a good idea.

BTW you've probably alienated a bunch of Indians who make a fuck of a lot more money than you do. Choose your words better.

I appreciate the sincere response :)

Where did you read any mention of my capital? You assume because I go to college that I have low capital?... false assumption is strong my friend. I'm the one supplying the capital and business skills looking for a programming partner, so yes you're right I do typically rent one that I pay 40-125 USD an hour for. The whole point is I get tired of "renting" a guy although it's the same 2 I use for everything.

I want someone in my office with me consistently rather than having to call in a guy for a few days/weeks at a time. It's getting old, and not to mention tweaks and adjustments get to be a pain if im having to call them up rather than walk into their part of the office. The other thing is, in my past experiences having a partner when going to a VC seems to make things much easier IMO.

Not looking to partner with indians... I want a USA/UK guy I can fly and meet with.

I appreciate the sincere response :)

Where did you read any mention of my capital? You assume because I go to college that I have low capital?... false assumption is strong my friend. I'm the one supplying the capital and business skills looking for a programming partner, so yes you're right I do typically rent one that I pay 40-125 USD an hour for. The whole point is I get tired of "renting" a guy although it's the same 2 I use for everything.

I want someone in my office with me consistently rather than having to call in a guy for a few days/weeks at a time. It's getting old, and not to mention tweaks and adjustments get to be a pain if im having to call them up rather than walk into their part of the office.

Not looking to partner with indians... I want a USA/UK guy I can fly and meet with.

why don't you just hire a coder full time then

I've actually considered it, however, part of the reason is going to VC's. Just something I've noticed in the past is that that is something they like to see rather than a sole person. Maybe i'm wrong though.

^ This. If all you supposedly need is a full time programmer you don't need a partner and if you gave j-random-programmer half of your business just for shits and grins then you sir do not belong running a biz. Programming isnt a business running skill its an employee skill. Dig deeper.

4qTcv.jpg

^ This. If all you supposedly need is a full time programmer you don't need a partner and if you gave j-random-programmer half of your business just for shits and grins then you sir do not belong running a biz. Programming isnt a business running skill its an employee skill. Dig deeper.

Think I will try this out first, and see how things go I guess. Just was i'm justing kind of hoping for a creative mind + programmer all-in-one, but i guess that's not very common?

So you're looking for a developer (i.e. software engineer). A lot of people don't realize there is a difference between a coder and a developer; A coder would work to your specs and give you nothing more, nothing less. A developer would create the spec, but if they are doing the coding, it's gonna cost more and take longer.

The tradeoff is that a developer is not gonna come to you with small problems, and some sort of planning would have taken place to prevent the big ones.

I've actually considered it, however, part of the reason is going to VC's. Just something I've noticed in the past is that that is something they like to see rather than a sole person. Maybe i'm wrong though.

You noticed correctly. VCs do tend to favor people with partners over single owner start ups. They also prefer that you've been working together a while.
Have you tried looking on campus?

You noticed correctly. VCs do tend to favor people with partners over single owner start ups. They also prefer that you've been working together a while.
Have you tried looking on campus?

Yup, I've actually had a partner previously that I met on campus who had previous experience. He was a developer. We drew up plans, went through successful first round as far as drawing interest is concerned. Things kind of grew between us though (different sights with the project he wanted more education/ 501c3 access and I was more concerned about capital growth).

Now looking to make some ties again, but I guess the above example is a good reason to get a key hourly employee rather than offering an equity share.