Any downsides to living in Spain?

Nah, I got it mixed up, and was actually thinking Tenerife. That island is a bit of a dry, dust bowl.

Mallorca was actually really nice, and lush. Lots of Germans and Swedes though, if I remember correctly. Nice beaches too.\

Not sure if I'd ever want to live there though. I'm assuming it'd be the same as Malta. Great party for a few months, but after that you want to tear your eyes out due to boredom and the isolation of being on an island.

I think you've been to a different tenerife to me.

bea0cda9aa.jpg

web_above_tenerife.jpg

tenerife2.jpg

If you stayed in just a tiny part of the south island, then sure.

Went to Gran Canaria over xmas. Where we were staying was 22 degrees but slightly windy.. 10 miles as the bird flys and 24 degrees with no wind. Drive into the mountains and you can look out over the clouds to the Mountain on Tenerife. There it was only about 8 degrees and I got rained on! The north side of the island was green and mild, the south hot and dry. I've never seen anywhere so diverse over such a small area, absolutely beautiful. Duty free zone too ;)

Those mountain roads too.. ooof. The Spanish know how to look after roads. Hot hatches and 2nd gear are the order of the day. Wish I'd been able to rent a bike though.

Anyway, derail aside - Palma is really nice, as is Mallorca generally. Depends what you want, might get a bit boring but Barca isn't far, and most western European cities are readily accessible with cheap, regular flights.

My grandparents live in the north part of the island, which is much nicer. It's literally two different islands. The south touristy bit is shitty, but the north is pretty beautiful in places.

Some places in the south are beautiful as well. I couldn't live in the south, but a 5-7 day visit there is definitely worth it. Just stay away from the main tourist resorts.

I'm moving to Las Palmas (Gran Canaria) in June - hit me up if you're from there.

eimersaufen-malle-DW-Wirtschaft-S-Arenal.jpg

Mallorca is a german colony. But most of the fucked up people from Germany go to S'Arenal so enough other places to go there.

Downside: betraying your own country.
That is more than everything you posted combined.
But its just me, I know some people do not care about that.

^^ This.

If you still end up in Mallorca, I bet you $1000 within 6 months you end up in mainland Spain. :)

Island living gets mundane quickly.

Whats actual difference does it make?
Palma compared to same sized mainland town? Or small island town compared to same size mainland town?
Unless you drive often, so taking a ferry is pain.

Whats actual difference does it make?
Palma compared to same sized mainland town? Or small island town compared to same size mainland town?
Unless you drive often, so taking a ferry is pain.
SqmL4EH.jpg

Downside: betraying your own country.
That is more than everything you posted combined.
But its just me, I know some people do not care about that.

Oh - that's no problem. Immigrated against my will at young age to a place where the main populations ideal lifestyle is to drive a Ford F150, work some sort of trade job [plumbing to roofing to concreting to 100 others] - and think vacation is going to Whistler to freeze on a mountain.

Oh and looks like this most of the year:
Vancouver_BC_rain_02.jpg

Makes it really easy to betray some imaginary map lines noone cares about unless you specifically love this kind of weather. I know some do.

What is not serious about that?
Loss of citizen is harmful to the country.
So yes, I am completely serious - those who have at least some sense of patriotism will understand that. Those that are only after materialistic things and weather - won't.
Although OP is immigrant so it does not apply for him.

Whats what? Majorca is not a small island and there is not much difference if you live there or on the mainland except if you want ti take long trips by car to other countries/towns often. Its better to fly and Majorca has decent airport with cheap fares.
His statement may be valid for actually small islands, but Palma living is not much different from any other city in mainland Spain of the same size.

Whats what? Majorca is not a small island and there is not much difference if you live there or on the mainland except if you want ti take long trips by car to other countries/towns often. Its better to fly and Majorca has decent airport with cheap fares.
His statement may be valid for actually small islands, but Palma living is not much different from any other city in mainland Spain of the same size.

That's exactly what buddy who lives there atm says - the intl airport 20mins away by cab + cheap flight access to rest of Europe the day I'm bored.

That's exactly what buddy who lives there atm says - the intl airport 20mins away by cab + cheap flight access to rest of Europe the day I'm bored.

That is true. I'm in Gozo right now (a tiny tiny island next to Malta) and while Gozo does start to get boring after a few months, islands like Mallorca or Crete should be just fine.

Do keep in mind though that literally everything is more expensive on islands. You can live very comfortably on $3000/month in Mallorca so it's still a good deal.

Reactions: Vadym
Pretty good case for Spain, how much are taxes on cars?

Is there a good and friendly community of foreigners and not just the british retirees?

Is there a good and friendly community of foreigners and not just the british retirees?

I know that in Portugal used cars are fucking expensive as shit. Like 2x UK prices. Not sure about Spain.

I think that the community thing sort of depends on what you're looking for. Go to a bigger city/town if you're looking for a big (young) expat community. Spanish are also very friendly, but you have to make an effort to become friends with them lol. That's one of the reasons I chose Las Palmas - big city, superb climate, amazing surf, loads of young people everywhere. People actually live there - it's not just a holiday destination.

EDIT: definitely visit for a week or two before you move. Rent a car and drive along the coast checking out different towns/cities. It's really cheap.

Not sure about the taxes, but rentals are usually cheap.
I think its like 15€ a day for a VW Polo and 30€ a day for a decent BMW or Audi. Long term rentals will be even cheaper.