An Opportunity to be on Reality TV

$4K @100% write-off?
National TV exposure or at least branding and bragging rights?
Potential for future syndication?

No brainer, bro- Hit It.

Just get some specifics in writing if you can- some kinda guarantees.

Again: In Writing.

$100 Makeover
A&E IndieFilms
Beyond Scared Straight
Billy the Exterminator
Biography
Breakout Kings
Cold Case Files
Criminal Minds
Criss Angel Mindfreak
CSI Miami
Drill Team
Dog the Bounty Hunter
The First 48
The First 48: Missing Persons
Fix This Kitchen
Fix This Yard
Flipping Vegas
Flip This House
Gene Simmons Family Jewels
The Glades
Heavy
Hoarders
Intervention
Manhunters: Fugitive Task...
Paranormal State
Parking Wars
Private Sessions
Relapse
Sell This House
The Sopranos
Steven Seagal Lawman
Storage Wars

The list above are all the shows on A&E. A shitload of people watch those shows. I'd do it simply to say you were on XYZ show.

You also have to determine whether A&E is your target market.

When was the last time you bought something from a company because you saw people wearing their logo on one of those shows? $4,000 can get you real commercials on much better networks.

Why are you being so coy about the "product" if we knew what it was it might be easier to give good advice, if it's something extremely common exposure on national TV would be worth the cash and time outlay, but if your product is niche the cost could be too great.

Your product isn't this is it...

41TXMOL2q-L.jpg

(it's not as easy as you would think to find an image of dildo machine that's not actually in use at the time)

You should do it bro.

Producing a commercial and buying a 20-30 sec spot on a major national television network would probably cost more than $4k. If your product or service is in the home renovation niche, next to HGTV, A&E would probably be your best bet.

And like someone else mentioned above, it'd be cool to tell your future customers that you were featured on a reality TV show.

I watch a lot of shit on A&E and I don't think I've ever ONCE seen a brand/product get any type of significant exposure except for being mentioned in the credits. I wouldn't risk it, they just want free shit and know they can get it.

Do it

You'll regret it if you don't

Potential connections alone should make it worth it. The authority it will give you if you use it well it will be much more valuable than the cost.

FrugalCopywrite said it best.

The key thing is even if this show only goes for one season it gives you one hell of a story to take on the road with prospective clients. The implied endorsement from a "television" show, no matter how shitty will mean dollars in your pocket.

It is like a celebrity endorsement. Even having Eric Estrada gives credibility with a certain segment of the marketplace.

Can add "As Seen on A&E" to your sites and sales copy etc. It'd only go to a competitor if you don't.

If I was in your situation, I would jump at the chance.

Think about it - when you are prospecting for future clients, you can tell them you were on A&E.

Heck, why not document the installation process, take pictures, and use it in future sales materials.

When a potential client asks about the installation process, you can just say, "Here, this is our team installing our product on the set of the A&E show "Insert show here". You will get the same first class treatment that they got"

How many of your competitors can say that?

Put "As seen on A&E" on your website, consider putting a clip of the show on your website (With permission), etc...

Now, this is just me rambling because I know nothing about your product, market or the benefits you will receive from TV coverage, but it is just something to think about...

Milk it for all it's worth...

Can add "As Seen on A&E" to your sites and sales copy etc. It'd only go to a competitor if you don't.

Here's the kicker, they already told us we would not be able to mention A&E specifically, only the specific television show we would be on.

Those are some great ideas FrugalCopywrite.

I looked up the production company and looked at their other shows. I only saw one or two instances where company names were featured and that was only on the product, after installation and for barely a second.

Here's the kicker, they already told us we would not be able to mention A&E specifically, only the specific television show we would be on.

If they said that, it's because the show hasn't officially been picked up by the network for anything other than a pilot. You can't mention A&E, they want you to pay for everything yourself, etc... yep. New show with a lot budget and no official schedule.

Remember that show It Takes a Thief on Discovery? I know (kind of) a guy who owns a locksmith/security company and he was picked by the show's producers to install an entire home security system for one of the episodes. They paid him for EVERYTHING and then some.

At this point it's an 4k investment that can go either way.

Some questions though;
Will you be doing a lot of work? Would this episode be centered around YOUR project?

For example on the show hoarders (which is an A&E show) they feature clean up crews cleaning up houses (ex. 1800-GOT-JUNK). Will your company be a focal point, or is it only a small segment of the show?

Also, you mentioned it is an offline business, so even if you are on the show, will consumers be able to use your services even if you are not in their state? Will they be able to go to your company website and purchase your product or service?

4k? ...

Yes. Possible contract if you really want to make sure some of your branded footage gets aired and you have rights to claim as seen on A&E.

I've read somewhere that the odds of a pitched pilot like this appears to be has a 1 in 20 chance of getting a 2nd episode produced and aired.

And if they don't air any other episodes, it's a sure bet that you got zero decent exposure and there simply won't be any re-runs.

So I'd say you've got a 1 in 20 chance of having this be better than a $4000 write off. If you're comfortable with those odds, then ask yourself "how much better is good enough?"

Cause if it's just a 2-second mention with no text on the screen during use the only thing you'll be getting out of this is minor bragging rights on your website & literature.

...But it's credibility, in case your biz needs some. Just make sure your target market might watch that show first.

Depends on your product/audience. Do you really need national exposure (and possibly minimal national exposure at best) for a local service/product? Being on a TV show won't mean anything if you lose/upset your current customer base. I don't know what business you are in, but getting referrals from current customers is always the best ROI.