Amazon Fire Smartphone

nickCR

Feb 5, 2010
CR
[ame=http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00EOE0WKQ/ref=nav_swm_FirePhone?pf_rd_p=1827762342&pf_rd_s=nav-sitewide-msg&pf_rd_t=4201&pf_rd_i=navbar-4201&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1AVZZ6ZMQ00TY3HSP2ZG]Amazon Fire Phone - 13MP Camera, 32GB - Shop Now[/ame]

Runs Fire OS... Built on Android with improvements for cloud services among other things. 22 hrs talk time. A bunch of bands and frequencies. Seems like a decent international phone. $649 without contract for 32 GB, $749 for 64 GB. Also comes with one year of Amazon Prime (they will extend your current membership if you already have it).

Thoughts?

Yawn?

It doesn't seem "high end" enough to challenge Apple or Samsung in a meaningful way. It's a pretty average looking device. The amount of cameras on it make it look a little odd. ATT exclusive, means it won't get that wide of an audience.

I just have a really hard time figuring out where this phone fits in the general landscape of phones.

It's being marketed heavily on it's features obviously. Firefly is a cool idea, and so is Mayday (if you are technically challenged). However it feels like the platform is there to sell you more Amazon stuff, obviously.

Overall it feels like more of the same, just a different package. I'm not expecting it to do well. It'll be interesting to see what they come out with next as it seems Amazon is doing more hardware stuff these days.

Mediocre hardware with a gimmick and a glorified app. Amazon could have just released an app, but for some reason decided to release an over priced average spec phone.

I expect this to go along the lines of the facebook phone...

I'm kind of an amazon fan boy. I like the fire tv and would get it if my tv wasn't also my desk top monitor, love my kindle fire hdx, and I would be interested in this phone but att sucks where I am. A year of prime to go with the phone 200 dollars with a two year contract is a good deal. I'm also a big fan of amazon instant video prime I find it superior to netflix especially lately with the influx of all the hbo programming. With netflix when you want to watch something not available for streaming you have to pay for the dvd service and wait for them to mail it to you, with amazon is something isnt included in prime streaming you can just rent it (most of the time) for a few bucks.

This is kind of ass, mostly because of the ATT exclusivity and contract. There are many, many phones you can buy for <$500 that have better specs and aren't on contract.

Saving one year of Amazon Prime is okay, but that's what 4-5 months tops of the shitty contract you'll be stuck in with ATT. The only way I would consider this phone is if I had ATT anyways, wanted an upgrade from my really shitty feature phone, and really, really wanted the Amazon integration. The 3D will be in phones next year, and I can wait for that.

I predict a flop. Price is too damn high.

^Guaranteed flop.

They basically did ZERO customer development while conceptualizing this product. They're not filling any gap in the mobile market whatsoever.

It's a product based entirely off of delusional assumptions about a tiny group of die-hard Amazon fanatics.

Seriously.

It's like if Christian Calvinists decided to launch a phone targeting Christian Calvinists who wanted nothing more than to imbibe in strictly Calvinist doctrine. But then marketed it to the world.

Jeff-Bezos-big-eyes.jpg

They should have taken the same approach as their other devices: do the same thing Apple does for cheaper while leveraging Amazon services and content. This should have been a $199 phone without a contract. And a prime membership should get you a basic talk/text plan at no extra charge that you can optionally upgrade. They may as well operate as a MVNO and shake the whole wireless model up.

And that, my friends, is why I am annoucing my campaign for CEO of Amazon. Please direct your votes to info@amazon.com.

As a previous iPhone user, and current Samsung (S5) I see absolutely no point in this device. If Amazon has really been working on this a while then maybe if they released it a while ago it would have done better.

Yawn?

It's being marketed heavily on it's features obviously. Firefly is a cool idea, and so is Mayday (if you are technically challenged). However it feels like the platform is there to sell you more Amazon stuff, obviously.

I felt the same. Seems like they are using the phone to sell stuff on amazon. Should cost $99 or less

They sure do like to use the G Sensor. I didn't see anything really new on this phone. Anyone could make a "firefly" app. The amazon app for android has a scanner already.

Doesn't google goggles do that?

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AhIybraKiVk]Amazon's Fire Phone takes on the competition - YouTube[/ame]

NYTIMES:

The Fire phone, the product of four years of research and development, offers Amazon fans the chance to live in an Amazon-themed world, where just about every element can be identified, listed, ranked, shared and, of course, ordered.

Jeffrey P. Bezos, Amazon’s founder and chief executive, told the crowd at the event: “Can we build a better phone for our most engaged customers?”

giphy.gif

Reactions: Ronnie55
Maybe they just needed a tax write off for about 3 billion in losses.

For the critics, you're totally missing the madness behind this company. This is another device that helps to solidify the customer relations between Amazon and some of the die hard customers.

Just like with kindle device, Amazon keeps the quantities sold as a secret, and I am sure they would do the same for this Fire phone. Personally I have a basic Samsung phone that I bought for $40 and it works like a charm. Wish more people knew about the damage caused by smartphones and digital TV sets.

Amazon Fire design looks ok, but the specs are quite impressive for those that care about such features. This will not be a huge money maker for Amazon, just a way to keep the Ecosystem synergy moving in the right direction.

^Guaranteed flop.

They basically did ZERO customer development while conceptualizing this product. They're not filling any gap in the mobile market whatsoever.

It's a product based entirely off of delusional assumptions about a tiny group of die-hard Amazon fanatics.

Seriously.

It's like if Christian Calvinists decided to launch a phone targeting Christian Calvinists who wanted nothing more than to imbibe in strictly Calvinist doctrine. But then marketed it to the world.

Ahh, the eternal solipsism of the tech-industry mind :)

TIL that FireOS is an Android fork and as such does not have the Play Store or Google Maps or other Google apps. Yup, sounds like that'll work out just great. You can root the devise and add the play store, or side the load the apps but that's probably more work than many are willing to do. Way to reinvent the wheel Amazon!