Adiakritos Journal

I finished reading it the other day. I think both books are good together because the 2nd one leaves out some details I think were really great.

That's awesome that you have these projects going on. Not being the engineer gives you the ability to do more than one project, so that's great!

probably not the advice you want to hear, but I agree with the majority here. You just got to take the plunge and try things out.

I'm very receptive to advice. What are you speaking in relation to? I've been building a website application for about 8 months now, so I'm assuming your responding to an earlier post?

I finally finish my degree in 4 months... Gonna go HAM during my December break before classes start again in January. Thankfully I'll only have 3 classes.

Finally graduated college. Got my BA in Marketing. Now I'm working full time for a friend and focusing on my web app. Learning a shit ton. This is the only long term journal on the interwebz. I guess the initial enthusiasm and support really inspired me and I appreciated it a lot.

Anyway, it's a milestone for me having graduated. What's next is making that first $100,000, then the $1M, and beyond.

My app's status..

I'm rebuilding it. Yes, again. The other ones were nightmares, at least according to my friend/dev-biz-mentor.

So right now I'm at the sketch pad, paper stage again. Except this time I think the design makes 100xs more sense, and I'll be able to use some newer technologies like Angular to really bring it to life. Also, now that I understand how to use Varnish I don't have to worry as much about getting killed with server costs in the beginning - in theory. I really don't know what to expect as far as that goes but I'll find out.

Anyway, I'm on to getting these sketches finished. I created weekly deadlines for each phase of the app. It's the best way to keep a consistent pace. And it's familiar to college, where there's a quiz due for 4 chapters.. keeps the adrenal glands firing and on my toes. It's too easy to slip in to "Oh, I'll just take a 2 hour lunch today, or take a stroll through the mall..."

Wow, I can't believe how awesome the support is on this forum. I've been around the web and it's been nothing like this anywhere else. To everyone who has supported me through this thread with your advice and encouragement, I give you my warmest thank you.

An update on my app. I've deployed it and I'm working on targeting ads to it. I have some new users already and I've started a reddit group where people have offered their feedback. After finally putting it in front of the market and seeing their reaction, it's interesting to see how they compare it to the other similar apps in the space.

I'm really trying to target a subset of the bigger market. The best comparison I have is that I'm trying to be the Gold's Gym of gyms. Not Planet Fitness or 24 Hour Fitness. They're similar because their features are the same in many ways, but the experience of each gym is different. The arrangement of the gym, the people who go there...etc

So currently I'm at a point where I'm testing out different ways to present this to my market, and also improve the features so that they're really fine tuned to keep the users coming back and also sharing it with their friends.

Now, after so long thinking like a web developer.. it's refreshing and exciting to push the marketing side of things again.

Here's what has happened with the app....

I published this thing, targeted ads to it, shared it on reddit, shared it on competitors facebook groups even.. and people are hardly batting an eye at it. I feel the concept is there but the execution just isn't up to par on something - I don't know what it is. I mean I have an idea, and I'm redesigning based on those ideas.

Anyway, I don't know if it's ok to share the link here so I'll share it with anyone who'd like to see it for themselves. (Not trying to promote it, it appears to be failed idea or execution such idea, not in a hurry to get people signed up anymore).

People signed up but never return again.

Surely, there are things I could do better, like make it mobile friendly, but if the concept doesn't get people jazzed up then why bother? I want to drop a link somewhere and have people saying "Wow, this is super great!" and like and share it, like they do for other things that make them say wow!

Anyhow, I've started a re-design that I think will be much better and might gather a strong reaction from people. It'll take me probably 1/100th of the time to re-make it now that I have hella skills in this dept.

I'm now a web developer for a company... looking for businesses to start to leave. I stopped working on the fitness app after year and years and tons of time. While I got lots of dev experience through that, I got little relative biz experience.

Anyhow, now that I've put that project aside I'm able to move on and do something new.

Going back to Clickbank to check out the products there and see if there's anything I can create to bundle with someone's product or offer as a back-end value added service to their funnel. Just some ideas.