Ad Blockers

chief

Jun 11, 2010
West Coast
I'm curious. Are there figures out there that show how much ad blockers are blocking from online marketers (in terms of $$$)? It seems like these add-on's/plug-ins are really taking off. In fact, one of the top extensions for Chrome is Adblock.

You'd think that online services that are ad supported would prohibit users from using these because it's cutting into their revenue?

Am I totally off my rocker? Anyone have any insight?

I was browsing one of my sites at a friends house over the weekend and he had IE-9 installed and that comes from the "factory/default" with ad block enabled. That's makes me a little nervous!~

A simple fix to this whole problem is some sort of javascript checking. The ad javascript didn't run, got blocked? Sorry this page won't load for you. Similar to cookie checking. Most websites don't care if you bought something, they care about impression counts and if your browser doesn't load the ad, they don't get credit for the impression which means they don't get paid. Your flogs and farticles are safe since your offer links don't go through known ad networks.

What surprises me is that Google & Microsoft seem intent on pushing ad blockers to users despite the fact that they are both deeply invested in serving ads to people.