10 Things I Wished Someone Had Told Me

Status
Not open for further replies.

Benji49

Feb 6, 2008
When first starting out in affiliate marketing, I wish somebody has told me this:

1. Never bid on one keyword in Adwords. Ever. Like "wii" at Christmas time.

2.The Fantastico script in control panel allows you to install Wordpress in about 20 seconds. Ten seconds if you can type fast.

3. A village idiot can make money with the Ebay affiliate program. Unfortunately, the program is run by village idiots.

4. Never read John Chow. Read Michael Martinez. Read Nickey Cakes when he honours us with a post. Read Shoemoney but don't tell anybody that you do.

5. 1and1 for domain names, but not for hosting.

6. The best hosting provider is the local guys that you can phone up and talk to 24/7, and at 10:00 pm at night the CSR understands the importance of upgrading to php5 so you can get that Wordpress plugin to work. Those guys exist, and they offer shared hosting at the same price as hostcrapper.

7. Second-best hosting choice. The $20 a year guys that offer unlimited domain hosting. For backup and your "experimental" sites.

8. Less time on trying to get external links, more time on generating content and mapping out internal links. Doing the former while ignoring the latter is like going outside with a spear to kill a cow while there is hamburger in the freezer. Yeah, a fresh steak tastes better, but the chances of you killing and gutting the cow are notsogood. Especially if the guy owning the cow finds out what you want to do.

9. Wordpress is your friend. And Wordpress plug-ins are better than having friends. Wordpress plug-ins are like those girls in university who would have sex with you without having to go through the "commitment" thing. You didn't even have to buy them dinnner. Yeah, wordpress plug-ins are just like that. I miss university.

10. Don't just focus on affiliate marketing. To do affiliate marketing, you have to learn a whole bunch of web stuff. Once you've mastered building a decent ooking website in 30 minutes, it's amazing what other business opportunities started to look doable. And away you go.

Good points! I think we can make this a good list...let's continue:

#11) Research what others are doing and use that as a guide. I started off putting together pages that made sense to me...but I doubt they made sense to anyone else.

#5 needs corrections made.

I like namecheap so far

12. Intergrate a blog into a landing site that looks like the site itself, use it to post your articles for good quality score. Have the front page of the site be your landing page with links to the blog, privay, contact & about pages. Works pretty good for me so far.

#5 if you want free private registration, cheap, and don't plan on pushing the domains to others. oh, and if you don't mind waiting for 24 hours for the approval and then another few hours for DNS settings to change. Pain in the ass - but cheap.

I've been regging on GoDaddy and loving it as of late.

Haha, indeed. Replace #5 with GoDaddy. 1&1 = management hell.

And Godaddy is another crap registrar, if you want your domain to be suspended on a whim by all means continue using Godaddy...oh and you can pay their ransom fee as well on top of that if that happens. Moniker or Fabulous are the best registrars if you take your domain registration needs and associated business endeavors seriously.

Another one to add:

Never use the same provider for both name registration and hosting.

I highly recommend Namecheap for domain registration, but as much as I like them, my hosting goes elsewhere.

#12. Some niches just don't convert. Test and if you aren't making money move on

The same goes for any project. Sometimes, you need to see that it is dead, no matter how emotionally attached you are to it. Get a huggy bear, and work on something profitable.

4. Never read John Chow. Read Michael Martinez. Read Nickey Cakes when he honours us with a post. Read Shoemoney but don't tell anybody that you do.

I like John Chow when I'm bored or if I want to pretend I'm eating a nice meal.

Problogger and Copyblogger are pretty good too.

Thanks for the other recommendations. I thought you were joking about the Michael Martinez recommendation cause when I did a search the first Michael Martinez I got was a J.R.R Tolkien "expert".

I wish someone would of told me to market fleshlights sooner! Goldmine right there....

I just don't get it. I like to masturbate. Why would I use a fleshlight when I could just use my hand(s)? Just the thought of having to clean it doesn't make me want to buy it.

I just don't get it. I like to masturbate. Why would I use a fleshlight when I could just use my hand(s)? Just the thought of having to clean it doesn't make me want to buy it.

hahaha cleaning that must be the worst. too true and agreed.

but if it converts.... well... maybe there are people out there who like cleaning?

i forget what number we're on, but: Even after reading "stop reading about affiliate marketing and go do it," do more reading. And then some more. And then start.

I dropped a good $50 before i realized I had absolutely no idea yet what exactly I was doing (like bidding on one word).

Why would you clean out your fleshlight?

For some reason you reminded me of a part in the movie Don King: Only in America when Don King gets George Foreman to sign a contract in the restroom. Don King finishes peeing and grabs his pen, without washing his hands, and hands the pen to George Foreman.

[in a restroom]
George Foreman: Aren't you gonna wash your hands?
Don King: I wash my hands *before* I touch my dick.

Status
Not open for further replies.