Your own name

Westmind

Mar 23, 2012
What do you think about registering your own name as a domain name, like what many other registrants have done? Is it a good idea? Do you think your name have any SEO value?

Well, I agree with you that it is more for building your personal or business reputation (instead of for SEO reasons). Anyway, I just checked my real name on Whois, and it's taken already.

so take a hyphenated one

FirstName-LastName.com

or a .net, as if it is for rep management, .com won't matter as much. Fuck, even a .info might do the trick.

::emp::

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I love the idea of using hyphens. I was thinking about registering myname.net or myname.org, but yours seems to be a better idea.

And all the popular names are already registered, if you find domain available in your name then you are lucky.

I have mine, and don't have any plans for it. Its sitting with a picture of my dog on it. I also set up email through gmail, that I use as a secondary.

At first it was kinda neat to tell friends to go to my site. I also originally thought I might put a blog up, but decided for now I don't have anything to say and don't really want any more of my foolishness to be archived forever at myname.com.

It is a major factor for reputation mangement.
PM sent about this.. Would really love to see some samples...

Have lot's of sites and it all has an about me pages and my pics and name on it.. would you still need to create another site around your name if all the about me pages has been completed from ground up?

Sorry about the question this is new to me.. and what's the use aside from reputation management? how will you increase your reputation just by having a site under your name? develop it yes obviously but what exactly will you put? resume's? biography etc etc? also how would you run this type of site? what traffic? will you suggest this site to be monetized by ads?

Got lot's of question and PM sent as well!

PM sent about this.. Would really love to see some samples...

Have lot's of sites and it all has an about me pages and my pics and name on it.. would you still need to create another site around your name if all the about me pages has been completed from ground up?

Sorry about the question this is new to me.. and what's the use aside from reputation management? how will you increase your reputation just by having a site under your name? develop it yes obviously but what exactly will you put? resume's? biography etc etc? also how would you run this type of site? what traffic? will you suggest this site to be monetized by ads?

Got lot's of question and PM sent as well!

The reason you want to control your domain name, is you can use it as a launching pad for your professional career. Really, the only people looking for you will be people that want to do background checks or whatever. So by having a professional look and controlling the first 3 pages of your name, you're good in terms of professionalism.

In terms of what to put on there, whatever you want.

I had mine for years. Back when I was a web noob. I had a blog with all sort of cool tutorials and PHP sample code on there. It was PR4.

I let it drop accidentally after I lost interest in my blog for a year. Now some Chinese assholes have it and are redirecting it to some Chinese language spam page.

The reason you want to control your domain name, is you can use it as a launching pad for your professional career. Really, the only people looking for you will be people that want to do background checks or whatever. So by having a professional look and controlling the first 3 pages of your name, you're good in terms of professionalism.

In terms of what to put on there, whatever you want.

hey just logged back in..

Thanks a lot for this.. I will definitely get one in a few days and yeah I think your right... the first 3 pages on my name are profiles on my accounts in my article backlinks and not in the about me pages.. so I'll definitely need some results..

never thought that somebody was checking my real name but maybe in the future, so better be prepared..

Thanks again!

Emalker...

Firstnamelastname .com .net .info
Firstname-lastname .com .net .info
Lastnamefirstname .com .net .info

All of them?

::emp::

This is surely a no-brainer! Fucking hell!

Ok - I'm a noob here and it's possibly out of my place to say anything but surely if you're a member here you must understand the very basic principle of protecting your primary interest more than anything else ever, and your primary interest (that you protect the most) should be your identity. That ID can make you enormously rich. It can also put you in prison, so it's value is definitely variable and you're far better off safe-guarding what you do have than fire-fighting a shit-storm when you least expect it.

Your price and value is yours to do with what you like - but trust me, it is far cheaper to register and maintain your own name as a domain (and all variants) than the potential cost later.

I guess this really only applies if you are either

- (a) Worth a substantial sum of money.
- (b) Have a purposeful plan to gain a substantial sum of money.
- (c) Someone who grew up with computers & networks since age ~8 in the late 70s