WP Footprint detection prevention

Sharksfan

May 28, 2009
WI
I have a number of IP's. Each of those has several (<10) WP installs with similar constructs in terms of themes, etc.

I've got the robots.txt all done up appropriately to prevent spiders from visiting the inner workings but as we all know that doesn't mean jack.

I've been considering adding a directory to each one that has a unique dump of something like "War and Peace" under the WP installs in text files or something else in case the installs get crawled.

Does anyone else have any tips for preventing footprint detection for similar sites from G?

Wait, do you want to prevent footprint protection on like your comment forms from spammers, or prevent your site files from being indexed?

If it's the former, change up your url structure and template verbiage. If it's the latter, I think the newer releases of wordpress cover all of that in terms of blocking directories with index files and the like...

Maybe look into some plugins that can rename all of your admin folders and files in wordpress?

Reactions: Sharksfan
I don't use robots.txt because it leaves my custom folders to being found by malicious people. It's a public file, anyone can look at it. What I do is turn off the displaying of indexes in my .htaccess file. It stops SEs snooping around, as well as nosy people.

Here's my default .htaccess file.

Code:
RewriteEngine on
Options +FollowSymLinks

<Files 403.shtml>
order allow,deny
allow from all
</Files>

<Files .htaccess>
order allow,deny
deny from all
</Files>