Would getting diagnosed with ADD prevent certain careers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HustlinHard

(M)ad Man
Oct 31, 2007
Vancouver
So, I've thought about seeing a doctor regarding ADD/ADHD for a while now, but have always been hesitant. The reason is because I'm that the diagnosis would negatively affect me in terms of career opportunities. I know that I could be so much more productive and my overall effectiveness would tremendously increase, but at this point, I still have the choice of whether to have it on my health record officially or not.

I know there's a few guys on here that are diagnosed, and maybe some others that aren't but have some more info on the situation.

Are there careers/options that are basically crossed out once you are diagnosed with ADD/ADHD?

What kind of overall limitations do you face after being diagnosed?

There are certain careers (with high clearance requirements) that require a psychological clean slate.

Other than that, probably not, unless your behavior brings in other factors.

I wonder if any career related to business or possibly medicine would be affected

Medicine, probably not. Unless you're the personal physician for someone who is obsessive about background checks for their hirelings.

Business, it depends, but probably not.

If someone wants to get into your medical files and check on why you've been visiting a psychologist and why you have a regular prescription for adderol, they will.

You can't discriminate based on disability. ADHD is considered a disability for the purposes of the Americans with Disabilities Act.

What the Americans with Disabilities Act Means for Adults with ADHD | ADDitude - ADD & LD Adults and Children

That being said, it probably rules out jobs like pilot, Navy SEAL, air traffic controller, etc. I doubt it rules out anything in the business world or law. With medicine maybe it prevents you from being a surgeon, but I don't see why someone with ADHD can't be a dermatologist or whatever.

You can't discriminate based on disability. ADHD is considered a disability for the purposes of the Americans with Disabilities Act.

What the Americans with Disabilities Act Means for Adults with ADHD | ADDitude - ADD & LD Adults and Children

That being said, it probably rules out jobs like pilot, Navy SEAL, air traffic controller, etc. I doubt it rules out anything in the business world or law. With medicine maybe it prevents you from being a surgeon, but I don't see why someone with ADHD can't be a dermatologist or whatever.

And we have a winner. Unless the disability prevents you from doing a fundamental aspect of the job, for example a man with full blown MS can't be an airline pilot, ADD isn't gonna prevent you from shit.

The background check in 99.9% of jobs does NOT include medical testing aside from a pee test for drugs and perhaps a physical fitness test. Clearances indicate you work for a government agency or contractor, and as such, get paid shit (BB knowz dis...) and since you're at Wickedfire, we all know you're too smart to get a gov't job or work for a cheapo contractor.

First and foremost, take care of yourself. Everything else will fall into place. As the others above said, you can't be discriminated upon because of your condition unless it prevents you from doing the tasks of your job.

On the other hand, NOT seeking a professional opinion and/or treatment could prevent you from achieving everything you want to and pardon sounding lame but "being all you can be". Not only that, but the emotional stress of feeling like you have to "hide" something isn't worth it. Get it taken care of dude... it will be a HUGE load of your shoulders and I think you'll feel a lot better.

It's amazing how a simple change in outlook/perspective can affect your productivity in a positive/negative way. You got the opportunity to really improve upon yourself here... do it for yourself, you shouldn't have to worry about idiotic assholes who label you for it.

Keep us updated.

Hmm...

Advocates on the side of ADHD/ADD sufferers are fighting to see this not as an "attention deficit", but as a different type of attention. I think they are calling it "multi-focused" or something like that.

Political correctness aside, I think you can do very well, once you learn how to deal with yourself.

I know one girl who is doing very well in her architecture studies and I have no doubt she will be a great architect.

The thing that brings her there is rigorous testing of what works, including therapy and medication. So she will hunker down, take her meds and isolate herself with nothing but work when she has a project or a test coming up.

At other times, she goes easy on the meds and.. yes, enjoys herself and her ADD, which brings her to do more and more creative projects than anyone else I know.

::emp::

I take adderall and wellbutrin for my "ADD" and they work great for me.

Drugs were the answer to the chemical imbalance in my brain.

1) that would be illegal to not hire someone due to them having what is argued as a hereditary, non-disabling medical trait
2) they legally can't ask u
3) i know people worse off than me in terms of adhd that do well in just about every profession except being cops... too boring for them.

u can use drugs.. u can train yourself how to concentrate... u can do a combo.. but it's actually got benefits too... it's been shown in shit-tons of studies old and recent that those born with add or adhd tend to be more creative. throw that in their faces... or go visit any ad agencies creative dept... it's like the ball room at chuck-e-cheeses

About 15 years ago I totally aced my ASFAB test for the military and started the process of joining the air force.

Prior to releasing my medical records to them I was guaranteed any career field I wanted.

Released my medical records, they see the words ADD, and would no longer guarantee me a career path. I could end up cooking in the mess hall.

I had a college degree, and had already learned a trade as well at this point. I wasn't a dumb kid out of high school or in high school.

About 15 years ago I totally aced my ASFAB test for the military and started the process of joining the air force.

Prior to releasing my medical records to them I was guaranteed any career field I wanted.

Released my medical records, they see the words ADD, and would no longer guarantee me a career path. I could end up cooking in the mess hall.

I had a college degree, and had already learned a trade as well at this point. I wasn't a dumb kid out of high school or in high school.

Join as an officer and it's not as big of a dealbreaker. If you had a degree, this option should have been open for you.

Look at it from their perspective. You could be on a hair-trigger, ready to go off for all they know. You could regularly skip your meds and have odd episodes when they need you to be at your best.

There's plenty of people who scored just as well on the ASVAB and who don't have those three letters on the medical records. Who do you think they're going to pick?

Status
Not open for further replies.