Worth getting a permanent VPN?

HustlinHard

(M)ad Man
Oct 31, 2007
Vancouver
So, pretty simple, I'm considering purchasing a VPN to use as a permanent layer of security. Basically I would just make it an automatic connection on my laptop so as to not reveal my ip/identity, and also prevent security breaches, Is this a good idea? Does a VPN provide any significant worthwhile security?

Do you guys have any other "Must-Have's" or suggestions that you always use?

Thanks for the tip! I just checked it out and it looks like the free version is basically just a Tor client, which means extremely slow speeds :(

But as far as i know it DOES provide true anonymity so it's definitely a good choice if security is the objective.

I am OCD now and don't get online without a VPN. proXPN was the best deal I found on my hunt, I liked their selling points.

Thanks for the suggestions guy! I do have some experience with strongvpn and they've always been seriously top notch. Guess I might have to go ahead and do this. Actually what sparked my interest in this topic is that it seems recetnly my ISP (or at least I think) blocked me from certain websites (ie bhw.com). And that definitelybgave me some insight, it's better to be secure at all times than risk any unnecessary problems.

If you don't want to shell out cash for a VPN or proxy service, just tunnel via SSH. If you have your own dedicated server (Linux/BSD machines) and know your way around SSH, take a look at this guide (scroll down to "Putty for Windows XP").

While this will definitely mask your IP, it will instead show your web server's IP(s). If you're trying to be totally anonymous, it's best if you tunnel through another machine that is not linked to your web business of course.