Working with No Internet

Uzzz

Death im yur Bitch Lover!
Jun 25, 2006
Canada, T.O
What are some things you do? I find most of the stuff i do requires some Internets.

Building sites? - can do on local but no uploads
Any kind of research/most tools - nope
Ideas/Plans - Can do, but only do so much without taking any action.
Organization/finances/Excel - Again, only so much.
Graphic work - yes

Planning a long multicountry road trip, so most likely will have no interwebs. What do you guys do?

If you're usaing an RV or something to drive, then read this article about setting up a 1.5mi wide Wifi range to leech off someone (make sure you're using a VPN though to prevent sniffing from malicious network owners) Pen Testing From a Mile Away - Area51 Archives .

Otherwise, look into tethering from your phone if you need the Internet on your computer.

If you can setup a Windows VPS to do research or any activity that requires long periods of Internet, then you really only need to view from your laptop periodically to check how things are going.

It's basically 2012. You'll be hard pressed to find places without internet, unless you're planning to go backpacking in the mountains or something. And if you're doing that, the last thing you should be thinking about is work.

What are some things you do? I find most of the stuff i do requires some Internets.

Building sites? - can do on local but no uploads
Any kind of research/most tools - nope
Ideas/Plans - Can do, but only do so much without taking any action.
Organization/finances/Excel - Again, only so much.
Graphic work - yes

Planning a long multicountry road trip, so most likely will have no interwebs. What do you guys do?

There will be Internet close to everywhere you go. Don't panic, but do bring a towel.

If I'm going on a long trip or something I download the HTML of 5-10 different type of footprinted pages to the macbook, put them on a local http server and write my scraping code to filter out data based on that.

When I arrive, I let it loose on the big list. :p

If I'm going on a long trip or something I download the HTML of 5-10 different type of footprinted pages to the macbook, put them on a local http server and write my scraping code to filter out data based on that.

Loved this, great idea :):hitit_sml:

Nice.

Write articles of course. I can always come up with new ideas that I write together as new article or a new blog post. It depends on what I needed to accomplish or how long will I not have internet connection.

Heart

This. If you have an android, get the app "EasyTether". $9.99 for unlimited use. Where you have 3g, you now have internet.

Does this bypass the need to root the phone (and pay your subscriber)?

After you root the phone, there are plenty of free wifi apps

for developing, replicate the environment of your servers locally. If your server(s) is a different OS, use something like virtualbox. Setup git repository, develop/build sites to your hearts content, as soon as you have interwebs, git push. done.