Workaholism

nitro_dee

Aug 25, 2007
This you?

To someone who is a workaholic, however, there is no line drawn between personal time and work time. They work incessantly because they feel as if they “need” to, not because they’re forced to. When they’re not at work they feel restless, or they think about work when they’re doing other things. To a workaholic, their job defines who they are and sets the standard for their self worth.
Read full here - Work Addiction | Are you Addicted to your Job? and another here - http://www.forbes.com/2005/11/16/workaholic-career-management-cx_sr_1117bizbasics.html

How am I supposed to not think about work when I'm at home. It's just not possible.

I work because I genuinly love what I do, who my "online" friends are, and love seeing my efforts make me money.

...I went through a time last summer, during some of my best money days, where for a month the only people I talked to were affiliate managers, online friends, etc. Almost no outside contact except for the occasional text. I also put on around twenty pounds and grew pretty self conscious.

This summer I party Friday, sometimes Saturday, and have a great time with friends. Also travelling quite a bit. Then from Sunday-Friday I work harder than ever. I'm a lot happier... a lot more clear headed... all of which directly translates into me making more money.

I find before I'd always be like, "I can do that shit later - got nothing else to do" but now I know I'll be out of commission, except for things like checking e-mails and shit, Friday and Saturday so I'm 1000% more productive.

I work because I genuinly love what I do, who my "online" friends are, and love seeing my efforts make me money.

...I went through a time last summer, during some of my best money days, where for a month the only people I talked to were affiliate managers, online friends, etc. Almost no outside contact except for the occasional text. I also put on around twenty pounds and grew pretty self conscious.

loool sounds like me.

They work incessantly because they feel as if they “need” to, not because they’re forced to.

And in one sentence, we're all off the hook (at least me anyways). Nobody forces me to do anything. I want to hack. I enjoy it more than any other hobby I've ever had. It gives me pride and satisfaction. And seeing that I'll be hacking long after "retirement", I'm definitely not doing it just to pay the bills.

I'm no addict. These haters need to fuck off and take their 12 step program with them.

I HIGHLY recommend the very short tongue-in-cheek book titled "What Would Machiavelli Do?" - it has stories of some of the most successful people of the modern age and their approach to work.

One guy, for example, cut off his finger with a lawnmower and was pissed when the surgeon told him he might miss a meeting later that day.

Another guy was at a family event - the perfect summer affair, bbq and baseball and stuff - and turns to his wife and says "I really can't wait to get to work tomorrow!"

I say that as I'm installing VM Ware on a new machine at 11:44 on a Saturday night because it's the most "fun" thing I can do with the rest of the house asleep.

I wish i was more of a workaholic although i think about my work all the time and when profit is down I always feel the need to work but when ever Its time to put in some work i feel unorganized and don't know where to start so i end up doing work for like 30mins just to make myself feel like i done something and then go waste time. I need some damn organization skills.

We all go through phases I think.

2 years ago... it was work all day...hardly any outside contact. I could work all day long and I LOVED doing it and had a blast. But now things have changed. I've started hanging out with a lot of my old buddies and spending most my days with my girlfriend.

I still love working on the interwebz, but right now 15 hour work days just doesn't make me happy like it use to. Right now, working a few hours in the morning and then hanging with friends feels much better.

In my opinion, just go with the flow. Times change, things that use to be fun aren't as fun anymore and the best thing to do is just let things happen naturally. I'm sure in a year or two I will get sick of the drama that comes with hanging out with people (you know.. in real life lol) and go underground for another year or two. I'm only 18, but chances are this "pattern" will repeat itself many times in the future so I'm just going to go with "the flow" and do what feels right. lol