Wordpress templates for a video site?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cash Boy

Apr 23, 2007
Hey guys trying to to make a video website using wordpress.

Been searching for templates and themes... anyone know of any good ones?

Hey guys trying to to make a video website using wordpress.

Been searching for templates and themes... anyone know of any good ones?

haha what a fucking question, it would have been more fucked up if you asked this the yesterday and here is why.

I too am creating a video site, well its a video blog and I'm more or less just trasfering one of my video blogs into this new WP blog and getting everything transfered over.

I didn't have any decent WP video themes made up at the time so I wen't searching and I searched through thousands of them in the last two days and you know what I found out of all those WP themes.

SWEET fuck all for a video site, not a single damb one would have been suitable for a video site, NONE, I was amazed because usually there is everything for WP, but instead I just had to create my own.

So what I did was find myself some good CSS templates, there are a ton of good ones around that can be used for a video site and they are super clean, then I chopped it up into a WP theme and changed shit around to suit my needs, its not 100% done yet but an example can be seen at the Heroes Archive.

The thing that is good about this layout is its clean, simple to understand, the very top navigation is populated in ORDER by Category, as you can see their are only 3 right now but soon their will be a whole lot more.

Just need to change around the colors and add some new features and it'll be good to go.......ok back on topic with your problem here.

To sum it up, their really isn't any good WP themes out their for a video site, sure you could use a ton of them but in my own personal experince, none of them would have worked well for a video site..

You however might have different tastes then me and you might not care about certain things, in which case a theme shouldn't be all that hard to pick out but if you are like me and your stuck building your own THEME, then this article called "From XHTML to Wordpress" should help you out.

Yeah me too, I've been searching shit loads of templates...

I was thinking of maybe putting my site on Joomla...

Yeah me too, I've been searching shit loads of templates...

I was thinking of maybe putting my site on Joomla...

Yeah thats another possible route, I've seen some good Joomla templates when I was browsing through and seen some that could have worked nicely for a video site, cannot remember the links though.

Aequitas thatys the first mistake I made when trying to use WP as a video or gaming site, all those videos loading on the index and archive pages, you need to use thumbnails and the only real way I have found that works pretty well is using a plugin called video pop, but there is still allot of work involved, with thumbnail images and what not for each post, though if you have the brains or the money I am sure you can set up a script to grab and post a thumbnail of each video for use in Index and archives.

Aequitas thatys the first mistake I made when trying to use WP as a video or gaming site, all those videos loading on the index and archive pages, you need to use thumbnails and the only real way I have found that works pretty well is using a plugin called video pop, but there is still allot of work involved, with thumbnail images and what not for each post, though if you have the brains or the money I am sure you can set up a script to grab and post a thumbnail of each video for use in Index and archives.

I've never had a problem with the way I've got it set up right now, it loads quiet quick, and the bandwidth has never been an issue with just loading them right off the bat, however I NEVER go over 5 videos on one page, after that it becomes another issue, I know a couple of my pages have more then 5 videos showing but mainly just try to keep it to 5 or less, so 5 posts being showed instead of 10 or 20 regular ones.

This method keeps things quick and easy to manage, I was thinking about the thumbnail route as well but just said fuck it, if the page ever gets enough traffic for it to become a problem then its an easy fix.

Status
Not open for further replies.