WordPress permalink structure issue

wiggywack

Oct 20, 2009
For SEO purposes on my blog, I figured that I should set up the WordPress URLs to look like myblog.com/this-is-a-post instead of myblog.com/2009/11/03/this-is-a-post...

But on the Wordpress Codex on permalinks, it says:

For performance reasons, it is not a good idea to start your permalink structure with the category, tag, author, or postname fields. The reason is that these are text fields, and using them at the beginning of your permalink structure it takes more time for WordPress to distinguish your Post URLs from Page URLs (which always use the text "page slug" as the URL), and to compensate, WordPress stores a lot of extra information in its database (so much that sites with lots of Pages have experienced difficulties). So, it is best to start your permalink structure with a numeric field, such as the year or post ID.
So... what's the deal? Does it matter enough that I should get rid of month/year/day in the URL? Or does the risk of fucking something up outweigh the benefits?

Thanks.

I use permalinks with just the post name without month/year/day and haven't had any problmes at all.

Go for it.

Who cares if it puts a bit of extra strain on your server. Just make sure you're with a decent hosting company...... The SEO benefits of pretty permalinks far outweigh and performence issues.

/%postname%/ FTW!

That.

I have never seen it crash a blog. Even tried by naming posts the same thing. It just calls later ones xxx xxx 2, then xxx xxx 3, then xxx xxx 4,...

Helps CTR in serps too as it does not look like a blog.

/%category%/%postname/

is very nice. Jams another couple of keywords in there and you can tell where you are.

/%category%/%postname/

is very nice. Jams another couple of keywords in there and you can tell where you are.

This is what I've used for years. Never noticed any performance issues even on shared hosting.

Also, this way you "silo" your posts into related chunks as opposed to by date which really doesn't make a lot of sense IMO.

Think of it this way, if a visitor can look at the URL and it makes sense... example: www.carstuff.tld/chevrolet/camaro, www.carstuff.tld/chevrolet/corvette, www.carstuff.tld/chevrolet/volt

versus

www.carstuff.tld/2009/10/02/camaro, www.carstuff.tld/2009/08/03/corvette, www.carstuff.tld/2009/06/02/camaro

See how in the first group, they all relate to each other with Chevy as the category? Where the second group has no relationship (visually in the URL) other than the domain name.

If you are looking for best performance, /%post_id%/%postname%/ is the way to go. Its easy for WP to lookup with numeric in the beginning.

But as Mike and others has pointed out, you wouldn't see much difference for a regular blog. It could be an issue, if the traffic or the number of posts is more though.