Wordpress and Godaddy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

brianpaxton

Aug 18, 2006
Thanks to everyone who responded to my Wordpress vs. Typepad thread.

Now that I know I want to use Wordpress, I am wondering how well it fits in with a hosting account at Godaddy.

All my domains are with Godaddy, so I'd like it if I can get Wordpress set up there, but I'm not sure how good of a fit it is. A quick Google search reveals some potential problems, and since I'm not a pro-webmaster, I want to try to make it as easy on myself as possible.

If it's too big a pain in the ass, I'll find another "Wordpress friendly" host, but I'd prefer to stay with Godaddy if I can.

Feedback?

Sorry I'm not familiar with GoDaddy
If GoDaddy has CPanel and Fantastico it's about 2 minutes to install WordPress.

Just had a look at their site and they say they support automatic WordPress installs through your user interface so it shouldn't be a problem.

They might have changed it now, but it used to be a pain in the ass. If you search the wordpress forums you should be able to find a guide on it. They used to not use c-panel, so I don't know if they changed it or not.

If you host with godaddy its simple. Follow the installation instructions given by wordpress (create db, then add info to config file). Then run the wordpress install and voila..

I recommend not using fantastico because you wont have control over when it gets updated, or if there is a bug (which there usually is with fant...)

I've had to use fantastico, just because with my very limited knowledge, it was easier.

I heard GoDaddy makes it easy to sell/transfer domains. Where ever you go, you might want to check into that company's proceedure to transfer domains. Even if you don't plan to sell, you never know what changes the future holds for you.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.