Windows Easy Transfer, anyone?

Chianti

Apr 24, 2010
Has anyone used Windows Easy Transfer to migrate a user account and settings from an old computer to a new one? My old computer has about 200 programs installed so the account/registry is a bit bloated, and I only intend to install about a dozen of those programs on the new one.

I'm interested in knowing if 'WET' does the job cleanly and intelligently, or if it just creates a mess of folders, broken associations and registry entries? Would I be better just to build the user account manually from scratch on the new computer?

Similarly, is there a good way to cleanly to uninstall all the bloatware on the new computer? Is Revo worth using, or perhaps just by normal uninstall and then running CCleaner? Any other uninstall programs worth using?

Cheers.

Last edited:

WET is actually really the way to go. I would REALLY read up on the docs/help before you do it, its probably the single most complicated task you can do in windows 7 and really easy to fuck up, but it is really cool and really effective.

as far as the bloatware - its probably just a good idea to manually unintall everything and then cclean it as you stated. be careful unintalling shit: i recently got a new toshiba and uninstalled a bunch of toshiba apps and some of them were power/bluetooth related so just be careful. good luck maine.

Has anyone used Windows Easy Transfer to migrate a user account and settings from an old computer to a new one? My old computer has about 200 programs installed so the account/registry is a bit bloated, and I only intend to install about a dozen of those programs on the new one.
It allows you to choose what to transfer, so you don't have to bring over everything.
I'm interested in knowing if 'WET' does the job cleanly and intelligently, or if it just creates a mess of folders, broken associations and registry entries? Would I be better just to build the user account manually from scratch on the new computer?
It worked pretty cleanly for me.
Similarly, is there a good way to cleanly to uninstall all the bloatware on the new computer? Is Revo worth using, or perhaps just by normal uninstall and then running CCleaner? Any other uninstall programs worth using?

Cheers.
I've never used it, but I think there is software called pc decrapifier or something along those lines that uninstalls all that bloatware.