Win7 choosing wireless over cable

Chianti

Apr 24, 2010
Anyone else have this problem?

I can't force Win7 to use the fastest transfer method when I hook up my two laptops by CAT5 and leave my wifi on. I have to keep disabling wifi before starting the transfer, and then leave it off until the files have copied.

I've tried:

1) adapter settings -> advanced -> advanced settings ->
move LAC above WNC on both machines

2) network connections -> [adapter] -> properties -> IPv4 -> properties ->
advanced -> automatic metric -> set '1' for LAC and '2' for WNC on both
machines

After rebooting both laptops, the behaviour's the same - the files always transfer at 1mb/s over the wireless instead of 10mb/s over the cable.

I'm going to be transferring many gigabytes of data regularly, and it's really starting to piss me off. I'm out of ideas though, and can't find anything else on the Net regarding this either.

Cheers.

I've had the same issue. It's a pain in the ass when you have a weak wifi connection and plug in with a cat5 and it won't let go of the wifi.

I always end up having to disable the wifi.

Ideally Windows should prioritize faster link speeds over slower ones. My mac does it. Linux does it. There has to be a way to make Windows do it.

> There has to be a way to make Windows do it.

I could only find the two methods I posted above.
It looks like if they don't work, then you're stuffed.

> I always end up having to disable the wifi.

Thanks for confirming that I'm not the only one.

The real pig is that if I start the transfer by cable and then try to re-enable the wifi, the transfer freezes and I have to cancel it (most of the time end up having to do a forced power-off).

I guess I'll look at buying a bridged usb cable - that might work better.

Cheers.