Wildcard DNS

Status
Not open for further replies.

LazyHippy

Apr 9, 2007
I need to setup wildcard dns and am currently only using shared hosting. The main guys I'm with disappointingly haven't replied to emails - they've been great until now :( I've got another account, and I know they can do it but don't really want to use them for anything which might have a high bandwidth.

Couple of questions...

Can this be done with the dns control panel in godaddy somehow - combined with cpanel? It seems I can add an entry and point it to an IP, but it's shared hosting so I'm not sure if that would work.

Alternatively, can anyone recommend any scalable shared hosting that will have no problems setting up the wildcard dns entries? (Or maybe a VPS)

I am not sure but I think Dreamhost allows custom DNS settings. As for VPS you can try LiquidWeb, the support is excellent, you can ask them.

What a coincidence. I just moved my sites to a new host today mainly
because i needed wildcard dns. :)

I moved to Servage.net Quality Web Hosting

Use this coupon for an extra 25gb without the quotes.
"specialextra25gbcode"

John

Cheers, both of you.

Servage seem pretty good, but do you know where their servers are?

I can't seem to find it on their site, but the pricing is in Euros suggesting somewhere in the EU. Seeing as I've got hosting in the UK it would be good to get some in the US this time.

Servage's servers are in Denmark, I believe, though there company is based in Germany. The servers aren't blazing fast (but then what do you expect), but they are reliable.

Their customer service is usually very helpful and although they're clearly overselling I've heard reports that they will definitely honour the limits that they give you. Setup is easy and they've developed a bespoke control panel that gives a surprising amount of flexibility. The stats package they give you is absolutely shite, though, so you'll need google analytics or something similar if you're used to tracking your traffic.

Only problem I have had is that I'm continually getting thrown off by their pop server. Also they've got a bit of a niche following with the so-called "Syrian Hacker" (do a search for him): this is apparently some kid with a script that gets into Servage's system on a regular basis, getting all sites on a server. I talked to them about this and they say they're 'upgrading their control panel security' (I'm fairly sure he didn't get in through the control panel, but through some mysql (or other server) vulnerability), and that I should choose a more secure password. This is a major issue for me, and if it happens again then I'm leaving immediately.

I hope that helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.