Wifi Constantly Dropping

RAZE1

Jul 17, 2013
On my laptop my Wifi connection suddenly stops working could be every 5 minutes every half hour every few hours it just happens very regularly BUT it stays connected! As soon as you disconnect and reconnect it works again.

Is there any software which will basically ping google.com or test my connection regularly and if it stops working disconnect then reconnect?

This is more than annoying when lying in bed watching Netflix I have to get out of bed to reconnect the fucking internet.

Tits for help.

tits_lying_down_127052199.jpg

1. Ethernet. Wired is much much faster.
2. Is your laptop the only device dropping? If not, could be time to replace your access point. The wifi on my modem/ap crapped out and does what yours is doing. Just drops randomly for no reason. I do option #3 for wifi.
3. hostapd: IEEE 802.11 AP, IEEE 802.1X/WPA/WPA2/EAP/RADIUS Authenticator you can use a usb wifi adapter [ame="http://www.amazon.com/CanaKit-Raspberry-Wireless-Adapter-Dongle/dp/B00GFAN498/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1446225394&sr=8-1&keywords=canakit+wifi+usb"]Amazon.com: CanaKit Raspberry Pi WiFi Wireless Adapter / Dongle (802.11 n/g/b 150 Mbps): Computers & Accessories[/ame] to make your own wireless. The adapter must support AP mode and you'll need to know a bit of Linux and how to setup a bridge or NAT.

1. Ethernet. Wired is much much faster.
2. Is your laptop the only device dropping? If not, could be time to replace your access point. The wifi on my modem/ap crapped out and does what yours is doing. Just drops randomly for no reason. I do option #3 for wifi.
3. hostapd: IEEE 802.11 AP, IEEE 802.1X/WPA/WPA2/EAP/RADIUS Authenticator you can use a usb wifi adapter Amazon.com: CanaKit Raspberry Pi WiFi Wireless Adapter / Dongle (802.11 n/g/b 150 Mbps): Computers & Accessories to make your own wireless. The adapter must support AP mode and you'll need to know a bit of Linux and how to setup a bridge or NAT.

1. I'd love to but I'd have to get the engineers get an access point in my room. It would be messy atm.

2. It's JUST this laptop.

3. Sounds complicated.

.... This could easily be resolved by a piece of software like 20 lines of code I reckon :/

Calling the engineers sounds like the best plan at the moment.

Fucking WIFI.

Is the wifi only dropping from that room? Can you reposition the AP? A script to make it reconnect seems like a temporary fix. Try to establish whether it's a signal issue or a laptop issue. Create a bootable usb stick of a Linux distro Main Page - Linux Mint and see if the wifi is still dropping.

If you have a coding background I would say create a script for it. If not go to freelancer, fiver or something. For $20 you can get a script that pings google in cmd and when connection drops auto disconnect and reconnect the Laptop.

Another idea is to go get you laptop fixed, change the Wireless card for hardware side or to do system restore. It might be some trojan or newly installed stuff for all we know.

I had a similar problem before. I used something like this and it was fixed:

Netgear N300 WirelessN USB Adapter Black WNA3100-100ENS - Best Buy

If you are going to drop $40 on one then you should get an Alfa one. These can reach wifi several houses away with a strong 75%+ signal. I used mine to leech off a coffee shop down the street until my internet got installed.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=alfa+wireless"]Amazon.com: alfa wireless[/ame]

You mean it stays connected to the router and disconnects from the Internet?
I have a similar issue but only in the morning when I start up on my desktop since a recent update.

It isn't the router but your network connection. Something along the line needs a fix maybe in another update. Try to run a network repair script (windows?) troubleshooter in network management to see if it can detect the problem.

I'll explore troubleshooting the connection etc in Wndows but I have doubts about Windows fixing anything.

I had a similar problem before. I used something like this and it was fixed:

Netgear N300 WirelessN USB Adapter Black WNA3100-100ENS - Best Buy
The thing is I have a tiny laptop but a mean spec and only 1 extra USB which usually taken by my camera....

I could get a docking station I guess. But like I said this is getting expensive when really it's such a simple issue.

^^^ Perhaps something like this would make it easier on your limited free USB ports:

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BWF5U0M/ref=s9_simh_gw_p147_d0_i1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER"]Amazon.com: Sabrent 4-Port USB 2.0 Hub with Individual Power Switches and LEDs (HB-UMLS): Computers & Accessories[/ame]

This is almost definitely a Windows problem. Buying gear or writing scripts is likely not going to help. Google is your friend.

Get a wifi band scanning app on your phone and set your router to a new one with less interference. If it doesn't work try another one again..

Apparently since I've been using this laptop by brother has been having the same problem.

Could this be an issue to do with my router only allowing x connections?

If so what is the likely solutions.

The wifi on my router eventually just gave out one day. Does the same thing as yours and keeps dropping anyone who reconnects. You can buy a cheap access point and connect it to the router. You just need to have an ethernet cable or two.
[ame="http://www.amazon.com/TRENDnet-Wireless-Mbps-Router-TEW-731BR/dp/B0062KA4VM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1446478228&sr=8-1&keywords=trendnet+wireless"]Amazon.com: TRENDnet Wireless N 300 Mbps Home Router, TEW-731BR: Computers & Accessories[/ame]

It would look like this

Router----LAN PORT [x] ------------------- [x] WAN PORT - Trendnet Wifi <-- You connect to this one instead of the routers wireless

Probably a good idea to test the internet using ethernet before buying a cheap access point. You want to make sure that only the wireless is broken and not the entire router.

Router upstairs, me downstairs.

It's not so simple.

I wouldn't be on WIFI otherwise...